24 Hour Swim Relay
The 24 Hour Swim Relay in SF (24 Hour Swim Relay in San Francisco) is a 4-person non-stop open water swimming relay held in Aquatic Park in San Francisco, California on 8-9 February 2014 organized by Suzie Dods. It was nominated for the 2014 WOWSA Awards' World Open Water Swimming Offering of the Year and was inspired by the 24 Heures La Tuque 2-person relay sanctioned by the World Professional Marathon Swimming Federation of the 1970s.
Limit of Swimmers
There is a limit of 75 total swimmers.
US$25 via check payable to Suzie Dods by 20 January 2014.
One loop around the Aquatic Park course is 0.75 miles.
Each relay team has a minimum of 4 open water swimmers and may include one swimmer with a wetsuit. When not swimming on an individual leg, the swimmers can rest, sleep and recover at the South End Rowing Club.
Videos from Lisa Amorao
2014 World Open Water Swimming Performance of the Year Nomination
The 24 Hour Swim Relay is nominated for the 2014 World Open Water Swimming Performance of the Year.
"Swimming all day and all night is profoundly mystical. Swimming in California’s Aquatic Park is wonderfully magical. The famous Canadian relay, the 24 Heures La Tuque in Québec, is simply iconic. Visionary Suzie Dods brings the otherworldliness, the magic, and the iconic history of a 24 Hour Swim to motivated swimmers of all abilities and speeds. Within the view of the San Francisco skyline and the Golden Gate Bridge, swimmers of various backgrounds come together in celebration of marathon swimming in a cool mid-winter swim. The camaraderie, the passion, and the courage of aquatic adventurers at the 24 Hour Swim are profoundly appreciated and thoroughly enjoyed by all its participants and volunteers. For her creative vision, for her organizational and decision-making skills, for her tenacity and grit to see the event through to completion, Suzie Dods’s 24 Hour Swim is a worthy nominee for the 2014 World Open Water Swimming Offering of the Year."
2014 World Open Water Swimming Offering of the Year Nominees
- 24 Hour Swim in San Francisco by Suzie Dods (U.S.A.)
- BlueJourney-Amerika Samoa -Stronger Together: The Waterman's Way by Bruckner Chase (U.S.A./Amerika Samoa)
- Step Out Of The Ordinary Blue Letter Campaign by Pádraig Mallon (Ireland)
- Catalina Channel Swimming Federation (U.S.A.)
- Dancing In The Water by Wayne Ewing and Matthew Moseley (U.S.A.)
- L.O.S.T. Swimming (Lake Ontario Swim Team) by Rob Kent (Canada)
- Morrison Report by Evan Morrison for Marathon Swimmers Federation (international)
- Nadandolibre Radio Show - Marcador Show by José Díaz and Alessi Pérez (Spain)
- Ola Vista Photography by Mike Lewis (U.S.A.)
- Rei e Rainha do Mar (King and Queen of the Sea) by Pedro Rego Monteiro (Brazil)
- S.C.A.R. Swim Challenge by Kent Nicholas (U.S.A.)
- The Greatest Englishman by Marathon Films (Great Britain)
- The Torture Swim by 60 Minutes Sports (U.S.A./Ireland)
- The Vertical Swim Trainer by Genadijus Sokolovas (U.S.A./Lithuania)
- Uaimh an tSolais & Uaimh na nÉan by Sam Krohn with Donal Buckley (Australia/Ireland)
- 24 Hour Swim Relay
- What Goes Around Comes Around
- Out Of 5 Come 6
- Veteran Quartet Talks About The 24 Hour Swim Relay
- 24 Hour Swim Relay
- Dods Does Distance - Swimming 24 Hours In San Francisco
- Suzie Dods, Swimmingly Joyful, Joyfully Swimming
- 2014 World Open Water Swimming Offering of the Year Nominees
- 2014 World Open Water Swimming Woman Of The Year Nominees
- 2014 World Open Water Swimming Performance of the Year Nominees
- 2014 WOWSA Awards Nominees
- 2014 World Open Water Swimming Man of the Year Nominees
- They Swim To Look Within Themselves
- Up All Day And All Night In Aquatic Park
- Come Again Another Day
- Step Out Of The Ordinary Is 2014 World Open Water Swimming Offering Of The Year
- A Celebration Of Camaraderie Where Everyone Wins
- 24 Hours Of Swimming In 4 Minutes
- World Open Water Swimming Association
- 24 Hour Swim Relay In San Francisco
- 80 Swimmers From 9 To 9