Water World Swim
noun - Water World Swim is a 7-race open water swim series held in San Francisco Bay, California and founded by famed cold water swimmer Pedro Ordenes. Water World Swim has been offering open water swimming events and training programs for over 15 years. Some of its programs include the "Swim with Pedro" weekly workouts and training sessions, regular Alcatraz crossings and instructional clinics, the New Waves program for young swimmers with an interest in open water swimming, and our numerous open water races and events.
Its swims have been chosen for their beauty, safety, and general "coolness" factor. Each swim is prepared, organized, and guided by a team of local coaches and swimmers with vast experience and in-depth knowledge of the local waters. All of our swims are fully certified, permitted and supported by the U.S. Coast Guard.
Water World Swim welcomes swimmers from all over the world with all levels of ability and organizes several events including those included in America's Top 100 Open Water Swims.
2015 Golden Gate Bridge Swim
2017 Events, Clinics, Crossings
- 18 March: March Monthly Alcatraz to Aquatic Park
- 15 April: April Monthly Alcatraz to St. Francis
- 29 April: Triathlon/Swim Clinic at Alcatraz
- 13 May: Alcatraz Classic
- 27 May: Triathlon/Swim Clinic at Alcatraz
- 3 June: Triathlon/Swim Clinic at Alcatraz
- 8 June: Escape From Alcatraz Triathlon St. Francis clinic
- 9 June: Escape From Alcatraz Triathlon Alcatraz clinic
- 10 June: Escape From Alcatraz Triathlon St. Francis clinic
- 10 June: Alcatraz Test Swim, with an off-shore clinic at St. Francis and a hop-in, hop-out clinic near Alcatraz
- 24 June: June Monthly Alcatraz to St. Francis
- 2 July: Swim Around the Rock, swim out from St. Francis, around Alcatraz and into Aquatic Park
- 22 July: 1.75-mile Golden Gate Bridge to St. Francis, friendly race with views of the Presidio, Palace of the Fine Arts, and Alcatraz
- 29 July: July Monthly Alcatraz to St. Francis
- 5 August: Bridge to Bridge 10K from the Golden Gate Bridge to the Bay Bridge
- 16 August: August Monthly Alcatraz to St. Francis
- 2 September: September Island to Island from Alcatraz to Angel Island
- 30 September: Alcatraz Swim with the Centurions
- 14 October: October Monthly Alcatraz to St. Francis
- 21 October: Golden Gate Bridge, in the water under the Golden Gate Bridge
- 11 November: November Monthly Alcatraz to St. Francis
Traditional Annual Events
- 8th annual Winter Alcatraz - 2 January 2016: Bring in the new year with cold water and a heart-pumping race to the St. Francis finish line. This is a very challenging 1.25 mile swim from Alcatraz to Aquatic Park. Competitors will begin the race right by the Alcatraz Island and finish by the beach of Aquatic Park. Only swimmers with extensive open water experience or presently training should register. Anyone considering to participate in this swim, please check our Non-Refund policy before registering.
- Alcatraz to Aquatic Park on 27 February 2016: Jump into the first non-competitive monthly Alcatraz of the year.
- Alcatraz to Aquatic Park on 26 March 2016: Join the first official Alcatraz of spring time with us.
- Alcatraz to Aquatic Park on 2 April 2016: It's no April fool's - the water is getting warmer now.
- Triathlon Clinic on 23 April 2016: Practice swimming at Alcatraz, bike and run transitions, and more in a half day with the pros.
- Triathlon Clinic on 7 May 2016: Practice swimming at Alcatraz, bike and run transitions, and more in a half day with the pros.
- Alcatraz Test Swim for Triathletes on 14 May 2016: Ideal for Escape triathletes, all swimmers benefit from a clinic out in the waters near Alcatraz.
- Triathlon Clinic on 21 May 2016: Practice swimming at Alcatraz, bike and run transitions, and more in a half day with the pros.
- Alcatraz Classic on 28 May 2016: Fast swimmer? This is the Alcatraz race for you, whether you've done it before or not. This is a speedy race to St. Francis, with medals and glory.
- Triathlon Clinic on 4 June 2016: Practice swimming at Alcatraz, bike and run transitions, and more in a half day with the pros.
- St. Francis Clinic for Escape Tri on 9 June 2016: Ideal for Escape triathletes, this helps swimmers and triathletes practice the last part of the Escape swim leg.
- Alcatraz/St. Francis Bay Clinic for Escape Tri on 10 June 2016: Ideal for Escape triathletes, this clinic helps all swimmers try the waters near Alcatraz and the finish line.
- St. Francis Test Swim for Escape Tri on 11 June 2016: This is a full distance crossing from Alcatraz to St. Francis, but swimmers are welcome to hop in/hop out for instruction.
- Bridge to Bridge 10K on 2 July 2016: Endurance swimmers: this 10K race is for you. Travel from the Golden Gate to the Bay Bridge in a race so popular, it fills up months in advance.
- Alcatraz to St. Francis on 9 July 2016: A wonderful summer crossing to St. Francis.
- Swim Around the Rock™ on 14 August 2016: This 3.25 mile out, around, and back race is one of the toughest out there - with currents changing by the minute, you'll loop around the island to win.
- Alcatraz to Aquatic Park on 28 August 2016: Prime warm water for a monthly Alcatraz.
- Swim with the Centurions™ on 10 September 2016: Biggest event of the year. Join 350 swimmers in the race from Alcatraz to Aquatic Park in the warmest bay water of the year. From Alcatraz to the Aquatic Park in the San Francisco Bay, the annual 1.25-mile swim has become a world-renowned event and is one of America's Top 100 Open Water Swims.
- Island to Island on 17 September 2016: A scenic and exciting swim north from Alcatraz to Angel Island - the most possible of inmate escape routes.
- Golden Gate Bridge Swim on 24 September 2016: With a one of a kind view under the bridge, you won't want to miss out on this spectacular race from the south tower to Fingerpoint Rock. This 3 km (1.85 miles) race begins at the ocean side of the south tower of the Golden Gate Bridge near Ft. Point Beach and goes under the Golden Gate Bridge past the north tower and finishes at Finger Point Rock. This is a rare opportunity to swim one of the most thrilling open water, world class competitions ever.
- Alcatraz to St. Francis on 8 October 2016: A fast and easy autumn crossing.
- Touch Alcatraz n' Go™ on 9 October 2016: This race is un-retired and back in action. Play the bay's elite tag game in this challenging out-and-back from Aquatic Park to the prison. Come back to win. Round-trip Alcatraz swim will begin on the beach of Aquatic Park in San Francisco. The competitors will swim to Alcatraz Island, touch the turn-around point, and continue back to Aquatic Park. There will be a boat with a race official on it that will mark the spot near the island.
- Alcatraz to Aquatic Park on 5 November 2016: The last crossing of the year.
- Helen Tonge’s Alcatraz Escape Route Swim
- Jessica Reiter Does A Double Take
- From Rattlesnake To Alcatraz, Kristen Zeimitz Swims
- Two Generations, Before And After
- Drafting Towards Alcatraz Island
- From Neoprene To Bioprene, From Alcatraz To Shoreline
- Open Water Swimming Camps And Clinics
- Water World Swim
- Open Water Swimming
- Olympian Camille Adams Set To Defend Collegiate Title
- Banned In Cycling, Lance Armstrong Is Welcomed In The Open Water
- Marathon Swimming
- World Open Water Swimming Association
- Daily News of Open Water Swimming
- World Open Water Swimming Association
- Serious Swimming - Open Water Swim Series Around The World
- Conquistador Sails Strait Like Magellan
- Have Faith In Swimming From Bridge To Bridge
- A License To Swim And Share
- The Joys And Challenges Of The Open Water
- David Swift Returns To His Aquatic Roots
- Seals Snarl, Swimmers Just Smile
- Scott Garrison Heats Up To The Cold
- It's A Wonderful Water World
- Bays, Islands And Straits With Pedro Ordenes
- Paige Turns a Page In Her Young Career
- Will Records Fall Around The Rock?
- Alex Kostich Wins Swim Around The Rock