Tonatiuh Gutiérrez Olguín (born 20 November 1929 in Mexico City, died in 2000) was a Mexican pool and open water swimmer from Mexico. He is known for his prolific work as an author, photographer, translator and editor of 118 publications in 4 languages ranging from art and history to biographies and pictorial works. He was a professor of economics at the Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México and became the director of expositions of the National Tourist Council of Mexico in the 1960's. In the 1970's, he was the head of the Fideicomiso para el Fomento de las Artesanias, an important state trust for the promotion of folk art.
Swimming Career Highlights
- He competed in the freestyle and the backstroke events in the pool, competing twice at the 1948 and 1952 Summer Olympics.
- As an 18-year-old, he competed in the 100m backstroke 1948 London Olympics
- As a 22-year-old, he competed in the 1500m freestyle and 4x200m freestyle relay at the 1952 Helsinki Olympics.
- He won two gold medals at the 1950 Central American and Caribbean Games Champions in the 1500m freestyle and 4x200m freestyle relay.
- He won two medals at the 1951 Pan American Games: silver in the 1500m freestyle and bronze in the 400m freestyle.
- He won a gold medal at the 1954 Central American and Caribbean Games Champions in the 400m freestyle.
- He won the 1957 36 km Maratona del Golfo Capri-Napoli in 8 hours 58 minutes 28 seconds.
- He won the 1958 36 km Maratona del Golfo Capri-Napoli in 11 hours 8 minutes 54 seconds.
- He finished 4th in the 1958 37 km Atlantic City Around The Island Swim in New Jersey, USA finishing in 12 hours 41 minutes 15 seconds.
- He finished 5th in the 1959 36 km Maratona del Golfo Capri-Napoli (Capri-Napoli International Swimming Crossing Competition) in 10 hours 31 minutes 41 seconds.
- He competed in the 1960 36 km Maratona del Golfo Capri-Napoli but did not finish.
- At the 1964 Tokyo Olympic Games, he coached Mexican swimmer Guillermo Echeverría to ninth.
- Tonatiuh Gutiérrez Olguín, Gentleman, Scholar, Swimmer
- Carlos Larriera Remembers Pro Marathon Racing On WOWSA Live
- Maratona del Golfo Capri-Napoli
- Tonatiuh Gutiérrez Olguin, A Gentleman, Scholar, Swimmer
- World Professional Marathon Swimming Federation History
- Open Water Swimming
- World Open Water Swimming Association
- World Professional Marathon Swimming Federation
- Marathon Swimming
- Daily News of Open Water Swimming
- Marathon Swimmers Federation bio