He created a worldwide swimming methodology and authored numerous books and DVDs on the sport of pool and open water swimming. He is also sponsor of the Total Immersion in the English Channel relay team and wrote Triathlon Swimming Made Easy - The Total Immersion Way for Anyone to Master Open-Water Swimming.
Open Water Swimming Career Highlights
- On 23 June 2002, he completed the 45.8 km Manhattan Island Marathon Swim in New York in 8 hours 53 minutes 31 seconds at the age of 51.
- On 10 July 2004, he completed the 10 km Huntington Bay in New York in 2 hours 52 minutes 21 seconds at the age of 53.
- On 24 June 2006, he completed the 45.8 km Manhattan Island Marathon Swim in 8 hours 28 minutes 59 seconds at the age of 55.
- On 14 July 2007, he completed a 10 km swim in Huntington Bay in New York in 3 hours 36 minutes 30 seconds at the age of 56.
- On 17 April 2010, he completed the 24-mile Tampa Bay Marathon Swim in Florida in 11 hours 54 minutes at the age of 59.
- On 10 July 2011, he completed the 21.2 km stage at the 8 Bridges Hudson River Swim in New York in 5 hours 11 minutes 45 seconds at the age of 60.
- On 11 October 2013, he completed a 14.4 km crossing in a tandem swim of the Strait of Gibraltar from Spain to Morocco in 5 hours 18 minutes at the age of 62.
- In October 2013, he completed a four-man 12 km tandem swim from Corsica to Sardinia.
- He won the United States Masters Swimming Open Water Championships at four distances and broke USMS age-group records in the 1-mile and 2-mile cable swims.
2018 Terry Laughlin Celebration Swim
Tim Ferriss On Swimming
- Curriculum Offerings Of Open Water Swimming University
- Total Immersion - official website
- Terry Laughlin's blog
- How To Feel Like Incredible Hunk In The Open Water
- Develop Your Brain, Number Crunch While Swimming
- Gen X Looking To Test Time
- The Boys Are Back
- Tim Ferriss Introduces The World's Best Teachers
- Open Water Swimming Books And Movies
- Curriculum Offerings Of The Open Water
- Terry Laughlin - Half Century Club Member
- Brian Suddeth Coaches Mark Rew, Deena Lambert