noun - Swim Master is a volunteer, guidance counselor and observer for the Solo Swims of Ontario Inc. (SSO) to assist swimmers attempting marathon swims under the auspices of the SSO. A Swim Master is an experienced, designated official observer to insure the rules are abided by and particularly it is a safe swim. The Swim Master has the right to disqualify a swimmer or end the swim if deemed to be unsafe to continue.
The purpose of SSO is to ensure that solo marathon swims in Lake Ontario adhere to strict safety guidelines, with particular attention to cross-lake swims in the Great Lakes - including Georgian Bay, and Lake Ontario, Lake Erie, and Lake Huron.
SSO's role is to provide advice prior to, and during, a marathon swim, and to ensure the safety of all concerned, including swimmer, pacers, and crew. SSO's goal is to encourage marathon swims, and to help achieve a safe and successful long distance swim.
SSO assigns one of its Swim Masters to every swimmer. The Swim Master accompanies the swimmer on the swim to ensure that all safety requirements are fulfilled. The Swim Master is the key to the safety philosophy employed by SSO and this individual is certified to meet stringent criteria. The Swim Master establishes the swimmer's competency to attempt a marathon by observing a mandatory outdoor ten-mile trial swim, or the swimmer provides certification of an equivalent swim in the same season. SSO provides every aspirant with an information kit containing a checklist of necessary items and equipment.
- John Scott's New Book Release: My Magical Moments Journal
- John Scott Talks Optimizing Human Capital On WOWSA Live
- Bryan Finlay Honored By International Marathon Swimming Hall Of Fame
- Solo Swims of Ontario Inc.
- Great Scott! In The Open Water
- Annaleise Carr, Swimming With a Purpose
- Annaleise Carr's Traverse Across Lake Erie, Part One
- Annaleise Carr's Traverse Across Lake Erie, Part Two
- Successful North-To-South Swim Goes West And In Reverse
- Star Swims Under The Stars
- Open Water Swimming
- World Open Water Swimming Association
- So Great, Lakes And Liz
- American swimmer arrives in Port Franks after nearly 21 hours in Lake Huron waters