Rick Heltzel is a marine engineer and an American pool and open water swimmer from Honolulu, Hawaii. The 1979 graduate of Stanford University and civil engineer runs Healy Tibbitts Builders, Inc. in Aiea, Hawaii.
Open Water Swimming Career Highlights
- He has placed at USA Swimming National Open Water Swimming Championships.
- He won dozens of open water swimming races throughout the state of Hawaii including the 7 km Possibly Annual Hawaiian Christmas Looong Distance Invitational Rough-H2O Swim a total of 12 times.
- He won the Waikiki Roughwater Swim where he set the course record.
- He was inducted in the Hawaii Swimming Hall of Fame in the Class of 2005.
- On 15 July 1984, he won the USA Swimming 32 km qualifying swim between Huntington Beach and Seal Beach piers
- He won the 1984 Waikiki Roughwater Swim in September.
- On 20 August 1984, he finished 2nd in the First International Open Ocean Swim, a 41.09 km Catalina Channel crossing from Isthmus Beach of Santa Catalina Island to Cabrillo Beach on the Southern California mainland in 9 hours 4 minutes 12 seconds at the age of 27. It was the first race across the Catalina Channel since the Wrigley Ocean Marathon in 1927. Penny Dean, Siga Albrecht and Syndi Goldenson were the American team coaches, while sailors from Marina del Rey donated their time and boats. The race was 5 miles longer than the traditional Catalina Channel crossings.
- He competed in the 1990 36 km Maratona del Golfo Capri-Napoli professional marathon swim in Italy.
- He placed third overall at the age of 60 in the 7 km Possibly Annual Hawaiian Christmas Looong Distance Invitational Rough-H2O Swim on 28 October 2017.
- Jim Anderson Talks About His Career In Hawaii On WOWSA Live
- On Course - Eventually - To The Olympic Marathon Swim
- Vojislav Mijić Talks About Swimming With A Full Heart On WOWSA Live
- Rick Heltzel's 29 Years Of The Double Roughwater
- Back In The Day
- Doubly Tough, Doubly Rough, Doubly Fun
- Victoria Heads West To Win In Waikiki
- Hawaiian Christmas Looong Distance Swim, The Double Roughwater
- Double The Distance, Twice As Nice
- Possibly Annual Hawaiian Christmas Looong Distance Invitational Rough-H2O Swim
- World Open Water Swimming Association
- Marathon Swimming
- Open Water Swimming
- Catalina Channel Swimming Back In The Day
- Swimming With Aloha...Hawaii Swimming Hall Of Fame
- Maintaining The Mission Of The Waikiki Roughwater Swim
- Vernon Gets Knighted In Hawaii
- Cherelle Osteringer Wins Hawaiian Looong Distance Swim
- All-time Winners of the Waikiki Roughwater Swim
- Racing Across Waikiki Beach Time After Time
- Waikiki Roughwater Swim
- World Open Water Series
- Darren Turned It On In Ocean Swimming
- Haley Chasin, Tim Marr Win Double Roughwater
- DIY Completion Certificate In The Open Water