Rene Martínez Saenz
Open Water Swimming Career Highlights
- On 29 April 2017, he completed the 14.4 km Los Cabos Challenge in 4 hours 22 minutes 37 seconds.
- On 27 May 2017, he completed the 10 km El Cruce in Cancun, Mexico in 2 hours 46 minutes 24 seconds.
- On 29 August 2017, he completed a 32.3 km crossing of the Catalina Channel from Santa Catalina Island to the Southern California mainland in 14 hours 26 minutes 36 seconds.
- On 17 July 2017, Martínez participated in the 2017 Swim Across America Catalina Channel Crossing together with Brett Cohen, Malena Hankins, Carolyn Hollingsworth, Naomi Kent, and Dan Simonelli with Swim Across America coordinator and Director of Events Megan Melgaard and escort pilot Captain Dave of the Pacific Star Charters.
- On 5 May 2017, he participated in the 7.9 km 3 hour 3 minute Pan-American Colibrí Swim, a cross-border swim and charity swim in the Pacific Ocean from Imperial Beach near San Diego, California, USA to Playas de Tijuana in Tijuana, Mexico.
- He is training for a crossing of the English Channel in 2018.
- He is an Associate Member of Pelagic Life.
- He finished fifth overall in the 45.8 km 20 Bridges Manhattan Island Swim in New York on 30 June 2018 in 8 hours 59 minutes 36 seconds.
- On 3 August 2018, he completed a 33.8 km crossing of the English Channel from England to France to complete the Triple Crown of Open Water Swimming.
- On 9 July 2021, he participated in the Los Charros de Catalina relay team that swam 32.3 km across the Catalina Channel from Santa Catalina Island to the Southern California mainland in 10 hours 30 minutes 40 seconds and included Rene Martinez Saenz, Pedro Manzano, Guillermo Aaron Saenz Valenzuela, Guillermo Rodriguez Arrizabalaga, Lorenza Guzman Hentschel, and Anne de la Parra with coach Nora Toledano, Lorena Rionda, Josune Mondragon, Daniella Rulan with observers Don Van Cleve and Thomas Hecker.
- He is the producer and protagonist of Aloo, a documentary film by director Gerardo Flores Ruiz about his Triple Crown of Open Water Swimming journey.
- A 5-person relay team of 5 Mexican open water swimmers completed an unprecedented 45 km relay swim from Chinchorro to Costa Maya, Mexico in the Mexican Caribbean in October 2021 with Nora Toledano, Ximena Argüelles, Jaime Lomelín, Antonio Argüelles, René Martínez and escort crew members Marieluise von Rheinbaben, Josune Mondragón, and Jacinta Martínez in 15 hours 55 minutes 10 seconds.
Aloo Documentary Film
Minutes before Rene's first 10 km marathon swim, he thought, "If I can do this swim, I will swim the English Channel." Hours later, after getting lost mid-swim, becoming dehydrated and discovering a new dimension of suffering, Rene looks at his wife while holding a tequila shot and declares he will swim across the Channel.
Catalina Channel Crossing
México Pelágico is a Mexican documentary film on shark conservation and the title of a Spanish-language book of marine life in Mexico, produced by Pelagic Life where Rene Martínez Saenz is an associate.
Pan-American Colibrí Swim
The Pan-American Colibrí Swim is a cross-border swim by a group of ocean swimmers from five nations with the purpose to raise awareness and funds for the Colibri Center for Human Rights in the Pacific Ocean between Imperial Beach near San Diego, California, USA and finishing at Playas de Tijuana in Tijuana, Mexico on 5 May 2017, starting near the Tijuana River National Estuarine Research Reserve. Its members include Kimberley Chambers (New Zealand), Oded Rahav (Israel), Jean Craven (South Africa), Antonio Argüelles, (Mexico), Nicolene Steynberg (South Africa), Rene Martínez Saenz (Mexico), Ben Enosh (Israel), Ryan Nelson (USA), Melissa King (USA), Kamini Moodley (South Africa), Neil Macaskill (South Africa), Luc Chetboun (Israel), Nora Toledano (Mexico), Mariel Hawley (Mexico), and Ben Enosh (USA/Israel). They will be supported and escorted by escort kayakers Dan Simonelli (USA), Billy Carlson (USA), Matt Donoghue (USA), Haden Ware (USA), Anna Lopez and the Out of the Boat Team (Mexico), Kala Sherman-Presser (USA), Tom Hecker (USA), and Kevin Eslinger (USA).
Pan-American Colibrí Swim Video
- First Crossing Attempt from Banco Chinchorro to Costa Maya
- Cargo Clogs Catalina Creating Chaos - But Catalina Channel Crossings Continue
- Open Water Swimming
- Catalina Channel Swimming Federation
- World Open Water Swimming Association
- Pan-American Colibrí Swim Crosses Borders
- Pan-American Colibri Crossing
- Colibrí Center for Human Rights
- Mad Swimmer
- Cyprus Israel Swimmers
- Visit Tijuana, Mexico
- Mexico Pelagico
- Mexico Pelagico Documentary Film
- Madswimmer, Always Swimming For A Cause
- Dan Simonelli On The Pan-American Colibrí Swim
- Swimming Together In Pan-American Colibrí Swim
- Pan-American Colibrí Swim Completed
- Marathon Swimmers Federation bio
- Enriching The Soul In The Open Sea
- Amos Nachoum On No Demons Of The Sea
- To The Depths And Other Shore By Rene Martínez Saenz
- The Men & Woman Behind The Bridges
- New York Open Water
- Pat Gallant-Charette Never Looking Back
- Two Triumphant Tandem For Triple
- Kate Robarts Takes The Heat To Achieve Triple Crown
- One More Swim, One More Wave For Melissa Kegler
- Swimming Splendidly From Slovakia To Sydney
- Jenny Smith Does Crazy Hard, Completes Triple Crown
- Ned Wieland Has A Long Bright Future Ahead
- Nathalie Pohl Wins 20 Bridges, Achieves Triple Crown
- Triple Crown of Open Water Swimming
- Rene Martínez Saenz Completes The Triple Crown