Open Water Swimming Career
- he was a member of Commotion on the Ocean, the 82nd successful relay team across the 20.2-mile Catalina Channel in California. Under the auspices of the Catalina Channel Swimming Federation, Commotion on the Ocean completed a 14 hour 11 minute 26 second crossing from the California mainland to Catalina Island on 7 August 2012. The team included Julian Rusinek (U.S.A.), Hayden, Ben Barham (United Kingdom), Vanessa Mesia (U.S.A.), Tim Davies (United Kingdom), and Karl Jacobs.
- he was a member of the Live Bait relay team and crossed the Catalina Channel on 25 September 2013 in 10 hours 29 minutes.
- he is a lifetime member of the Santa Barbara Channel Swimming Association (SBCSA).
- he became the first person to complete an Anacapa Around-and-Back Swim
- he finished the 2016 36-mile (57.9 km) END-WET marathon swim in 13 hours 4 minutes.
- Between 25-28 April 2018, he completed all four stage swims of the SCAR Swim Challenge in Arizona (9.5-mile or 15.2 km Saguaro Lake + 9-mile or 14.4 km Canyon Lake + 17-mile or 27.3 km Apache Lake + 6.2-mile or 10 km Roosevelt Lake), finishing 14th overall at the age of 60 in a cumulative time of 18 hours 38 minutes 6.5 seconds.
- he participated in the 2013 Fear No Pier challenge.
- On 27 April 2019, he had the 15th fastest cumulative time of 18:18:02.6 in the 2019 SCAR Swim Challenge in Arizona.
- On 24 August, he finished 23rd overall in the 15.2 km Saguaro Lake stage swim of the 4-day SCAR Swim Challenge in Arizona in 4:08:24.9.
- On 25 August, he finished 16th in the 14.4 km Canyon Lake stage swim of the 4-day SCAR Swim Challenge in Arizona in 3:38:07.8.
- On 26 April 2019, he finished 17th in the 27.3 km stage across Apache Lake on Day 3 of the 4-day S.C.A.R. Swim Challenge in Arizona in 6:54:34.3 at the age of 61.
- On 27 April 2019, he finished 19th in the 10 km stage across Roosevelt Lake on Day 4 of the 4-day S.C.A.R. Swim Challenge in Arizona in 3:36:55.6 at the age of 61.
- He served as an observer for the Santa Barbara Channel Swimming Association of Pat Gallant-Charette's 19.6 km Santa Barbara Channel crossing on 18 September 2021 in 9 hours 22 minutes.
Anacapa Around-and-Back Swim
Hayden became the first person to circumnavigate Anacapa Island (23.4 miles in distance) and the 47th person to complete the Anacapa Channel on 3 September 2014 in an unusual Anacapa Around-and-Back Swim. Hayden first swam around Anacapa Island in 5 hours 41 minutes. Then he directly left the island to swim to the California mainland where he walked ashore at Port Hueneme 6 hours 59 minutes later. His support crew consisted of Carol Hayden, Howard Burns, Marc Horwitz, Patsee Ober, and Julie Flanagan. The Slayer was piloted by Captain Dawn Brooks, Jordon and Russell. SBCSA observers were Theo Schmeeckle and Lynn Kubasek.
Catalina Channel Crossing
SBCSA Lifetime Members
- Rami Aramis (2007)
- Vic Anderson (2013)
- Herb Barthels (2012)
- Howard Burns (2014)
- John Chung (2012)
- Nick Caine (2011)
- Jane Cairns (2013)
- Emilio Casanueva (2006)
- Ned Denison (2006)
- Cherie Edborg (2012)
- Sylvia Glenn (2014)
- Carol Hayden (2014)
- Peter Hayden (2014)
- Ken Hintz (2014)
- Monica Jones (2014)
- Lynn Kubasek (2010)
- Paul Lewis (2008)
- Michelle Macy (2013)
- Anthony McCarley (2014)
- Jim McConica (2007)
- Michelle Premeaux McConica (2013)
- Dean McNeil (2011)
- Darren Miller (2012)
- Bob Needham (2013)
- Tina Neill (2011)
- Jim Neitz (2011)
- Forrest Nelson (2011)
- Michelle Poole (2014)
- Kelley Prebil (2014)
- Julian Rusinek (2013)
- Theo Schmeeckle (2013)
- Ingrid Schmitz (2014)
- Walter Bean Scott (2012)
- Ellen Shockro (2012)
- Seth Streeter (2006)
- Scott Tapley (2013)
- Dave Van Mouwerik (2013)
- David Yudovin (2012)
- Scott Zornig (2009)
- How Does Pat Gallant-Charette Do It?
- Pat Gallant-Charette Sets Yet Another Record In Her Long Career
- Live Bait And Aged Chum In Open Water
- Santa Barbara Channel Swimming Association
- Peer-to-Peer Pressure From Pier-to-Pier
- Successful Catalina Channel Relays
- Catalina Channel Swimming Federation
- Commotion On The Ocean Ends Harmoniously
- Anacapa Relays Swim With A Fin In The Water
- Marathon Swimming
- World Open Water Swimming Association
- Open Water Swimming
- Daily News of Open Water Swimming
- I Got Stung
- Survivors Fear No Pier Down The California Coast
- Peter Hayden's Anacapa Circumnavigation + Crossing
- Carol Hayden Breaks Record In California Channel Islands
- MSF Global Marathon Swimming Award Finalists
- Peter Hayden Honored By Marathon Swimmers Federation
- Inheriting And Sharing A Beautiful Smile In The Open Water
- Stefan Reinke Outduels Serbo Simeoni On SCAR Day 1
- S.C.A.R. Is Like Night And Day
- Jamie Ann Phillips Forges Into Lead In Apache Lake
- Reinke Hangs On, Jamie Ann Phillips Swimming Strong
- As Night Falls, So Does Men's Record. Jamie Ann Phillips Leads Way With Stefan Reinke
- Celebrating Swimmers Of The Santa Barbara Channel
- Piers Of The California Coast
- SCAR Swim Challenge Facebook page
- SCAR Swim Challenge, A Kent Nicholas Dream Realized
- Jessica Kieras Wins Day 2 Of S.C.A.R. Swim Challenge
- Fast Flyer Freestyles, Finishes First
- Keeping Pace At SCAR Swim Challenge
- S.C.A.R. Swim Challenge Breeds Toughness
- Sunset Starts SCAR
- Stunningly Spectacular! SCAR Swims
- SCAR Is On, The 4-Day Race Has Begun