- Dr. Attia is a former McKinsey & Company consultant as a member of the corporate risk and healthcare practices in Palo Alto, California.
- He is a surgeon, engineer, calculus teacher and an author of numerous medical and research papers.
- He offers podcasts and gives educational and engaging lectures on nutrition including a TedMed talk on 17 April 2013 in Washington D.C.
- He educates via his blog War On Insulin and is a popular TedMed speaker.
- He received his medical degree from Stanford University and holds a B.Sc. in Mechanical Engineering and Applied Mathematics from Queen’s University in Kingston, Ontario, Canada, where he also taught and helped revamp the calculus curriculum.
- He spent 5 years and did his surgical training at the Johns Hopkins Hospital in Baltimore, Maryland as a general surgery resident, where he was the recipient of several prestigious awards and the author of a comprehensive review manual of general surgery.
- He did a fellowship in surgical oncology at the National Cancer Institute in Bethesda, Maryland and gave a TedMed presentation on 17 April 2013.
- He spent two years at the National Institutes of Health, in Bethesda, Maryland as a surgical oncology fellow at the National Cancer Institute.
- He shares medical information, history and explanations on a variety of topics on the Peter Attia Drive.
Open Water Swimming Career Highlights
- Dr. Attia took up swimming at the age of 31 and has since done a number of relay and solo marathon swims.
- On 11 October 2005, he crossed the Catalina Channel from Santa Catalina Island to the Southern California mainland in 10 hours 34 minutes 51 seconds at the age of 32.
- In 2008, he completed the first male double crossing of the Auau Channel (Maui Channel), from Maui to Lanai to Maui in 11 hours 45 minutes at the age of 34.
- In 2008, he swam the widest point of Lake Tahoe from California to Nevada in 7 hours 24 minutes at the age of 34.
- In 2008, he participated in a relay crossing from Santa Barbara Island to the Southern California mainland.
- On 8 September 2009, he crossed the Catalina Channel from the Southern California mainland to Santa Catalina Island in 14 hours 8 minutes 8 seconds at the age of 36.
Catalina Channel Videos
The War on Insulin
The Peter Attia Drive Podcast
The Peter Attia Drive is a weekly, deep-dive podcast focusing on maximizing longevity, and all that goes into that from physical to cognitive to emotional health. With over 30 million episodes downloaded, it features topics including fasting, ketosis, Alzheimer’s disease, cancer, mental health, and more. The Drive is hosted by Dr. Peter Attia, a Stanford/Johns Hopkins/NIH-trained physician focusing on the applied science of longevity, the extension of human life and well-being.
- International Day of Older Persons and the Aging Demographics of Open Water Swimmers
- Are You Tough? Really Really Tough? Check Out History's Tough Swimming Workouts
- Dr. Peter Attia Comments On The Leading Causes of Death in the US for 2020
- Dr. Peter Attia On The mRNA Vaccine Technology
- The Peter Attia Drive Podcast
- The Cheerios Effect In The Open Water
- The Perfect Open Water Man
- The Perfect Open Water Woman
- Nutrition Science Initiative
- Eating Academy website
- Dr. Peter Attia on the War on Insulin
- Peter Attia Bio at Sapphire Energy
- Linked In Bio
- World Open Water Swimming Association
- Catalina Channel Swimming Federation
- Open Water Swimming
- Los Angeles Times article
- Quicktime Movie about Peter Attia's Catalina Channel crossing
- Open Water Swimming's Number 4 On Ted
- Anxiously Awaiting Attia
- Peter Attia Is Out To Change The World
- Marathon Swimming
- World Professional Marathon Swimming Federation
- The Perfect Female Open Water Swimmer
- The Perfect Male Open Water Swimmer
- Dealing With Insomnia Before Getting In The Open Water
- Oh Wow In Auau, Meredith Novack Completes Two Way
- Peter Attia Crossing Of The Catalina Channel - video
- Peter Attia's Got Grit
- Dr Peter Attia's Findings on Land
- The Man Who Is Changing America
- Dr Otto Thaning's English Channel Program At 73
- Meredith Novack Moves Her Swim Around Oahu To 2016
- How Do You Balance The Desire To Live Longer With The Desire To Perform Well?
- Life-Extension, Drinking Jet Fuel, Ultra-Endurance, Human Foie Gras, and More
- Vastly Underestimating Capabilities, Learning How To Fish
- Going On A Nerd Safari With Peter Attia
- Dr. Peter Attia On The Nerd Safari
- Marathon Swimmers Federation bio
- Will You Still Be Swimming In The Year 2050?
- Swimming In The ICU
- What Is Your Mellouli Number?
- What Is Your Van Rouwendaal Number?
- Dr Peter Attia Is Driven To The Extreme