Open Water Swim Academy
Open Water Swim Academy (OWSA) is a club founded by Dan Simonelli that provides a safe and supportive environment for teaching and training aspiring open water swimmers of all ages and skill levels with the desire to experience the joys and adventures of ocean swimming, recreationally and competitively, and to learn from and swim with some of the world’s best.
OWSA is committed to promoting and expanding the sport of open water swimming among people of all ages and skill levels, competitive or non-competitive, and for anyone that wants to experience the joys and wonders of the open water!
Proceeds help support non-profit organizations, such as Jacee For Kids (helping young people achieve their goals and live their passion, and committed to expanding the community of open water swimming for kids); and The Arch Academy, San Diego (an alternative school where "normalcy" is bashed aside and inspired thought begets inspired action! And the entire student body swims open water!)
Dan Simonelli grew up in Stockton, California and has been swimming since 4 years old (when his older brother wouldn't let him lie and say he was 5 to join the swim team!). Simonelli swam on and off through school and some in college as he tired of the pool experience. Then, while in the Marine Corps stationed in Oceanside, California, he began swimming in the ocean and racing in triathlons. He later became an Ocean Lifeguard for the City of Oceanside and the experience and joy of swimming in the ocean nearly everyday has never left him.
In recent years Simonelli began swimming at La Jolla Cove and became a member of the La Jolla Cove Swim Club. Subsequently he got in with a sordid crowd of marathon swimmers training for Catalina Channel, English Channel, and other great swims, and began to see the endless possibilities of the open water.
He is also the current Board President of the La Jolla Cove Swim Club.
2017 World Open Water Swimming Offering of the Year Nominees
1. 48 Braçades by Miquel Suñer (Spain)
2. Blue Journey Dangerous Waves Project by Bruckner Chase (USA)
3. Global Swim Series by Rob Kent & Dylan Kent (Canada)
4. LongSwimsDB by Evan Morrison (USA)
5. New York Open Water by David Barra, Rondi Davies & Alex Arévalo (USA)
6. Open Water Swim Academy by Dan Simonelli (USA)
7. Outdoor Swimmer by Simon Griffiths (Great Britain)
8. Sea Donkey with Adrian Sarchet (Guernsey)
9. Shark Bait by Dr. Seán O’Connell (Bermuda)
10. Swim Argentina by Matías Ola (Argentina)
11. The Channel of Bones with Toni Enderli (South Africa)
12. Travessia do Leme ao Pontal by Adherbal de Oliveira & Renato Ribeiro Barbosa (Brazil)
2017 World Open Water Swimming Offering of the Year Nomination
The Open Water Swim Academy offers a safe and supportive environment for teaching and training open water swimmers, no matter what their starting point or final goals are. Led by coach, crew chief, lifeguard and escort kayaker Dan Simonelli, recreational, masters and competitive swimmers are taught a comprehensive curriculum of technical, environmental, mental and physical aspects of the sport. For sharing the latest and best techniques and tactics both in the pool and Pacific Ocean, for teaching myriad aspects of open water swimming in beautiful La Jolla, California – and from Hawaii to Dover - from swim techniques and nutrition to marine life and goal setting, for promoting and expanding open water swimming to students and adults from all walks of life, the Open Water Swim Academy is a worthy nominee for the 2017 World Open Water Swimming Offering of the Year.
- Open Water Swim Support Training Program Launched
- Dan Simonelli Talks About Helping Others On WOWSA Live
- Round-the-Island Coronado Swim - Pacific Possibilities
- The La Jolla Cove Hole Rescue
- Orange County Swimmers Conquer Catalina
- Catalina Channel Swimming Federation
- Open Water Swimming
- La Jolla Cove Swim Club
- Open Water Swim Academy
- World Open Water Swimming Association
- Marathon Swimming
- Thomas W. Kofler Becomes Italy's First Triple Crowner
- Catalina Channel Swimming Federation
- Surfer's Ear With Swimmers
- Travel And Raise Money While Making Waves
- High Seas Adventures Of Dan Simonelli
- Simonelli Succeeds In Santa Barbara
- Santa Barbara Channel Swimming Association
- Dan Simonelli Helps Create A Sea Of Change
- Ben Lecomte To Speak From The Middle Of The Pacific
- Dan The Man, Pearl Of The Pacific