OceanFit is an educational fun website and business model developed by Andre Slade of Bondi, Australia. OceanFit specialises in ocean awareness, confidence and fitness, delivering practical programs and online education to all ages and abilities from entry level to awesome. OceanFit enables people to enhance their ocean lifestyle and discover, learn, watch and share 365 days a year. It offers a large range of How To videos devoted to beach culture, ocean awareness, confidence and fitness for both adults and children.
Andre Slade has been involved in the aquatic and lifesaving industry for 15 years with experience in pool and ocean lifeguarding, risk management, lifesaving management, surf education and learn to swim. He was the National Lifeguard Manager for Surf Life Saving Australia for four years and is the current Managing Editor of the Australian Lifeguard Magazine.
- Swim Coach - Claire Owen
- Surf Coach - Paul Lemmon
- Enviro Guy - Ken Meese
- Scientist - Dr Rip, aka Rob Brander
- Surflife Physio - Nick Marshall
- Lifeguard - Dean Gladstone
Offerings and Benefits
- Free 8-week training programs so individuals can train and learn more about ocean swimming during the winter when practical programs are not running.
- Database of 13,000+ swimmers is provided with up-to-date information about which events are still going ahead or not.
- Swim event calendar indicates whether events are 'virtual' and allows users to filter their search by virtual events.
- ONSHORE podcast with 39 open water swimming groups and individuals on a road-trip from Warrnambool, Victoria to Port Douglas, Queensland over 100 days. Podcast had thousands of downloads and helps to connect swimmers and share stories from Australia's east coast.
- Swim Buddies function on its Swim Scout directory to help connect hundreds of open water swimmers. People register a profile (like Facebook) and can contact other swim buddies to meet up for swims.
- Social Swimming Group directory so people could find other like-minded swimmers near them to swim with, and once they can travel, to meet swimming communities in other towns along the coast.
- Open water swimming holidays so swimming tourists can take swimming holidays in Australia including Swim The Whitsundays and the Swim Keppel Island and Swim Magnetic Island.
2020 WOWSA Awards
OceanFit by Andre Slade was nominated for the 2020 WOWSA Awards in the World Open Water Swimming Offering of the Year category with the following nomination: When the COVID-19 pandemic slowed things down on dryland and with open water swimming events, Andre Slade of OceanFit sped up, big-time. When pools were closed, swimmers flocked to the open water and sought information and camaraderie among like-minded aquatic enthusiasts. OceanFit filled that vacuum and helped make open water swimming accessible to an entirely new slew of open water swimmers throughout Australia. Training programs were offered for free, up-to-date information on events and virtual swims were shared with over 13,000 swimmers. For launching the ONSHORE podcast featuring 39 interviews from Victoria to Queensland that share stories from Australia's east coast and Swim Buddies to enable people to register a profile (like Facebook) and contact with others to meet up for swims, for growing a Social Swimming Group directory to generate a more enlightened and educated swimming community, for launching domestic swimming holiday programs including Swim The Whitsundays, Swim Keppel Island and [[Swim Magnetic Island[[, and for taking a leadership role in exponentially growing the Australian open water swimming community with innovative programs and at unprecedented rates, OceanFit by Andre Slade is a worthy nominee for the 2020 World Open Water Swimming Offering of the Year.
2016 World Open Water Swimming Offering of the Year nomination
OceanFit was nominated for the 2016 WOWSA Awards, a recognition of outstanding men, women, performances and offerings around the globe sponsored by the World Open Water Swimming Association in the category of World Open Water Swimming Offering of the Year.
OceanFit combines the best of the sport: enjoying the ocean and fitness in an easy-to-navigate, easy-to-understand, easy-to-appreciate offering of ocean swimming events, training and education. The Bondi Beach service provider from Sydney helps swimmers of all ages and abilities become comfortable and safe in the ocean by clinics, lessons and online content. Conveniently packaged information is offered online and in person by founder Andre Slade to hundreds of ocean goers. More importantly, OceanFit has sent over $430,000 in fundraising revenue to the surf life saving clubs for organizing the events that, in turn, is used for saving lives on beaches in Australia. For its comprehensive ocean event calendar with helpful tips, for its useful newsletters and fun-loving ocean swim squads, for its detailed descriptions, videos and photos that showcase and financially support ocean swims all over Australia, OceanFit is a worthy nominee for the 2016 World Open Water Swimming Offering of the Year.
2016 World Open Water Swimming Offering of the Year nominees
1. Prison Island Swims (international)
2. KIM SWIMS (USA)
3. Samsung Bosphorus Cross-Continental Swim (Turkey)
4. Ocean City Swim Club Unified Team / Legion of Ocean Heroes Surf Lifesaving Festival (USA)
5. KAATSU Aqua (Japan)
6. Hawaiʻi Tiger Shark Tracking (USA)
7. OceanFit (Australia)
8. The Power of Swimming or Simma med Stjärnorna (Sweden)
9. Wildswim.com (United Kingdom)
10. Instabeat (International)
11. Terroir Project Collection (Denmark)
12. Agar Plasticity (Japan)
13. MadSwimmer (South Africa) Children Charity Swims
14. Swimming in the Sink: An Episode of the Heart by Lynne Cox (USA)
15. Global Alert Platform by the Ocean Recovery Alliance (Hong Kong)
16. Blue Mind Summits by Dr. Wallace J. Nichols
- Observations From OceanFit
- 2020 WOWSA Awards – World Open Water Swimming Offering Of The Year Nominees
- OceanFit Podcasts From New South Wales, Australia
- Cyril Baldock Talks With Andre Slade On OceanFit
- OceanFit Podcasts Along The East Coast Of Australia
- Get, Be And Stay OceanFit With Andre Slade
- Andre Slad official website
- OceanFit website
- Murray Rose's Malabar Magic Ocean Swim
- OceanFit's Ocean Swimming Survey
- World Open Water Swimming Association
- Open Water Swimming
- Ocean Swimming Survey Results From OceanFit
- 2016 WOWSA Awards Nominees
- 2016 World Open Water Swimming Man of the Year Nominees
- 2016 World Open Water Swimming Woman of the Year Nominees
- 2016 World Open Water Swimming Performance of the Year Nominees
- 2016 World Open Water Swimming Offering of the Year Nominees
- OceanFit Is Fabulously Fun
- 12 Days Of Christmas In The Open Water - 2016
- Highest Grossing Open Water Charity Swims In The World