Michael Twigg Smith is an American escort boat captain for the open water swimmers and relays across the Molokai Channel (Ka'iwi Channel) from Hilo, Hawaii. He is the sole member of Stellina Mare LLC that specializes in escort boat services between Molokai Island and Oahu.
- 1 Athletic Career
- 2 Escorting Career
- 3 Molokai Channel Attempt with Ranie Pearce
- 4 Molokai Channel Crossing by Tom Hackett
- 5 Molokai Channel Crossing by Pat Gallant-Charette
- 6 Molokai Channel Crossings
- 7 Molokai Channel Crossing with André Wiersig
- 8 Kaiwi Channel Swim Relay
- 9 1984 Water Polo Championship
- 10 External links
- Played water polo with legendary coach Ken Smith and traveled to Australia, New Zealand and California to compete
- Swam competitively at Punahou School under coach Steve Borowski
- Paddled 6-man canoes for Waikiki Surf Club and Waikiki Beach Boys across the Molokai Channel. He paddled in the Molokai Hoe 7 times between 1990 and 2002
- wind surfer
- member of Heartbeat sailing team of the Waikiki Yacht club.
- Since 2003, he has escorted athletes and all types of watercraft across the Molokai Channel on his boat Stellina Mare
- Escorted teams across the Molokai Channel in the first relay race across the channel.
- Escorted 27 attempts to cross the Molokai Channel; 18 successful crossings.
- Planned and executed the Maui Nui Triangle Swim by Becca Mann, an unprecedented 57.58 km solo channel swim between the islands of Maui, Molokai and Lanai in the state of Hawaii on 18-19 August 2019 in 20 hours 53 minutes 37 seconds.
- 15.75 km Pailolo Channel crossing from Maui to Molokai started at 1:00 pm on 18 August 2019.
- Pailolo Channel finished at 5:01 pm on 18 August 2019.
- 26.50 km Kalohi Channel from Molokai to Lanai, started at 5:09 pm on 18 August 2019.
- Kalohi Channel finished at 3:20:15 am on 19 August 2019.
- 15.33 km Auau Channel from Lanai to Maui, started at 3:29:35 am on 19 August 2019.
- Auau Channel finished at 9:53 am on 19 August 2019.
Molokai Channel Attempt with Ranie Pearce
Molokai Channel Crossing by Tom Hackett
Molokai Channel Crossing by Pat Gallant-Charette
Molokai Channel Crossings
1. The Veterans (a relay with Karen Schmidt, Amy Dantzler], Brent Blackman, Bill Ireland, Bruce Thomas, and Dianne Gleason) in the Kaiwi Channel Swim from Molokai to Oahu in 9 hours 45 minutes
2. Richard W. Gaenzle, Jr., Brian Ross, Chris Kraus of U.S.A. relay in 13 hours 45 minutes
5 Boguslaw Ogrodnik of Poland DNF did not cross because current was too strong.
6. Stephen Junk of Australia DNF did not cross because of seasickness.
7. John Royer and Mark Royer of U.S.A. crossed in rain squall 14 hours 30 minutes on 24 August 2015.
8. Attila Mányoki of Hungary crossed in 12 hours 2 minutes.
9. Romano Mombelli of Switzerland DNF did not cross because of severe man o war stings.
10. André Wiersig of Germany crossed in 18 hours 26 minutes on 15 October 2015.
11. Daniel Curtis of U.S.A. cancelled due to extremely large surf on 27 February 2016.
12. Antonio Argüelles Díaz-González of Mexico crossed in 23 hours 18 minutes on 21 March 2016.
13. Adrian Sarchet of Guernsey crossed in 17 hours 24 minutes on 11 July 2016.
14. Jorge Crivilles Villanueva of Spain crossed in 17 hours 54 minutes on 17 August 2016.
15. Ranie Pearce of U.S.A. did not finish due to tiger sharks on 26 June 2016.
15. 6-person Russian team led by Sergi did not finish due to white tip sharks on 26 June 2017.
14. Dr. Tom Hackett of U.S.A. crossed in 14 hours 57 minutes on 11 September 2016.
15. Stephen Junk of Australia crossed in 13 hours 50 minutes on 4 October 2016.
15. Beth French of Great Britain crossed for the second time in 17 hours 59 minutes on 6 December 2016.
15. Abhejali Bernardova of Czech Republic crossed in 22 hours 8 minutes on 27 March 2017.
16. Cae Tolman from Wales swam for 17 hours but did not finish on 8 April 2017.
23. Pat Gallant-Charette of the USA crossed in 23 hours 54 minutes at 66 years and 107 days old on 19 May 2017.
23. Prabhat Koli, a 17-year-old from Mumbai, India crossed in 17 hours 22 minutes on 6 June 2017. 24. and 25. Nora Toledano and Mariel Hawley Davila from Mexico City on tandem swim in 14 hours 28 minutes on 10 July 2017. 26. Sergio Salomone from Argentina stopped 6 km from Makapuu Beach after swimming for 16 hours 25 minutes 25 July 2017. 27. Matias Ola from Argentina stopped after 17 hours before exiting the water on 2 August 2017.
Molokai Channel Crossing with André Wiersig
André Wiersig's crossing of the Molokai Channel on 15 October 2015 in 18 hours 26 minutes, finishing on Sandy Beach on Oahu escorted by pilot Mike Twigg-Smith, observer/kayaker Jeff Kozlovich, kayaker Marcos Robaina, and crew Jürgen Peters and Guido Schneider.
Kaiwi Channel Swim Relay
Twigg-Smith escorted The Veterans, six ocean swimmers who completed the inaugural Kaiwi Channel Swim in 9 hours 53 minutes between the islands of Molokai and Oahu on 24 August 2013: Karen Schmidt, Amy Dantzler, Brent Blackman, Bill Ireland, Bruce Thomas, and Dianne Gleason
1984 Water Polo Championship
- Twice As Nice Across The Molokai Channel
- The Story of René Martínez Saenz’s Molokai Channel Crossing
- René Martínez Saenz Swims Through the Night Across the Molokai Channel
- Daniel Vivero Swims Through The Night
- Anything and Everything Can Go Wrong and Can Go Right in the Open Water
- Tough, Turbulent, Tempestuous, but Moar Makes Molokai
- Mark Makes Molokai
- Molokai for Marcia
- The History and Future of the Kaiwi Channel Association
- Around And Around And Across Goes John Batchelder
- Cheers To Jonathan Ratcliffe, Warrior Of The Waves
- Becca Mann Describes The Maui Nui On WOWSA Live
- Becca Mann Describes Her Maui Nui Triangle Swim
- Michael Twigg-Smith, David Harvey, Mark Hamilton Talk About Channel Swimming On WOWSA Live
- Michael Twigg-Smith Talks About The Molokai Channel On WOWSA Live
- Village Of Enablers Helps Adrian Sarchet Achieve The Oceans Seven
- What Started With Harry Huffaker, Accomplished By Becca Mann, Is Now Open To Challengers
- Molokai Swim Escort Boat
- Jonathan Ratcliffe, Swimming Through The Night Into Daybreak
- International Ice Swimming Association
- André Wiersig Completes Tough Molokai Channel Crossing
- World Open Water Swimming Association
- Stephen Junk Continues With His Channel Quest
- Swimming When The Ocean And Sky Were One
- André Wiersig Shows What's Offshore In Molokai
- Antonio Argüelles Attempts Fifth Oceans Sevens
- Absolutely Awesome Antonio
- Australian Teen Becomes Youngest Swimmer To Cross Kaiwi Channel
- Cameron Keith Cross Molokai
- Open Water Swimming
- Mike Twigg-Smith's Adventures Across The Ka'iwi Channel
- Shark Encounters Of The Closest Kind
- Adrian Sarchet Completes Crossing Of The Molokai Channel
- Adrian Sarchet Is Punished Across The Molokai Channel
- Grinding From Guernsey, 17 Hours Across Molokai Channel
- Stephen Junk Rebounds From A Hit To The Oceans Seven
- Stephen Junk Completes Sixth Channel Of Oceans Seven
- The Doctor From The Mountains Makes Molokai
- Abhejali Bernardova On Track Across The Molokai Channel
- Calm, Cool And Collected In The Gorgeous Galápagos
- What Is On The Menu In The Open Water?
- How Do You Prepare For Sharks?
- How Can You Not Panic?
- An Open Water Adventure For The Crew
- Challenging Channel Crossings With Michael Twigg-Smith
- Four For Mexican Duo Across The Molokai Channel
- Sergio Salomone Hits Makapu'u Ledge After 16 Hours
- Michael Twigg-Smith On Molokai Channel Crossings
- Ashiko's Wild Adventure Across Molokai
- When A Shark Interupts A Channel Crossing
- Daily News of Open Water Swimming
- A Summers Day Out In Molokai
- Ocean Navi Team Crosses Molokai Channel
- Mortensen's Molokai, Déjà Vu Done
- Between Molokai - Oahu Across The Channel Of Bones
- Beautiful Becca. Mann Masters Maui Nui
- Becca Mann 2 Channels Down, 1 To Go
- Becca Mann, 1 Channel Down + 2 To Go
- Mann Up, Maui Nui Is A Go
- From Lima To Lanai, Becca Mann To Attempt The Maui Nui Triangle
- 30 Year Déjà Yu, Becca Mann To Attempt Maui Nui
- Michael Twigg-Smith, Becca Mann On The Maui Nui Triangle Swim
- Becca Mann Describes Her Maui Nui Triangle Swim