Mitchell is an experienced waterman from Long Beach, California. He was a world-class swimmer for UCLA specializing in butterfly and the individual medley. He enjoys water athletics including water polo, swimming, paddle boarding, body surfing, surfing and lifeguarding, and has traveled the world to enjoy water sports.
Mitchell was part of the Long Beach Swim Focus Catalina Relay in October 2011 that set the overall Catalina Channel relay record of 6 hours 53 minutes 4 seconds, and completed the Big Richard in 7 hours 56 minutes.
Mitchell serves as an announcer at many marine events throughout California including the Swim Across America event and the USA Swimming National Open Water Swimming Championships in Long Beach.
He created the Big Richard, the world's longest and toughest ocean biathlon marathon (7 miles ocean swimming + 20 miles soft sand beach run), as well as a popular 3-part DVD series of swimming songs, chants, cheers and tunes including the hit singles Lactic Acid and Streamline.
The Big Richard
The brutal coastal biathlon is held in Southern California from the Wedge in Newport Beach to the Queen Mary in Long Beach in September. The Big Richard, named after legendary Coach "Big" Richard Ghettwood Youth Sports Foundation of Long Beach, California, consists of 20 miles (32 km) total of soft sand running along the beaches of Newport Beach, Huntington Beach, Bolsa Chica, and Sunset Beach interspersed between a total of 7 miles (11.2 km) of roughwater ocean swimming through massive surf breaks and around 5 piers, 8 rock jetties, 3 rivers, 2 inlets and one big boat along the coasts of Newport Beach, Huntington Beach, Bolsa Chica, Sunset Beach, Seal Beach and Long Beach.
WOWSA Live Interview
- When The Speedos Come Off, Ted Bramble Gets Creative
- Long Beach Swim Focus Catalina Relay On WOWSA Live
- Shooting The Gap and Other Open Water Swimming Moves
- Marathon Run-Swim-Run Ends At The Hall Of Fame
- No Guts, No Glory With The Big Richard
- Swimmer Singing Streamline
- Catalina Channel Relay Record
- Open Water Swimming
- Dynamic Duo Croons Carols
- 3 Long Beach Waterman Complete The Big Richard
- Channeling Dolphins In The Oceans
- Summer Surfing In The Swim
- The Long Quests Along Southern California Beaches
- Return to the Black Velvet Under Bright Planets
- World Open Water Swimming Association