noun - Masters swimming is a fast-growing leisure and competitive activity for adults who enjoy swimming. Masters swimming is a formalized adult swimming training program for fitness or a competitive swimming event. The swimming events include competitions in a pool (short-course yards, short-course meters, long-course meters) or in open bodies of water (e.g., oceans, lakes, bays, rivers). Masters swim teams are groups of individuals (masters swimmers) who train and compete together in pools and in the open water.
They compete within age groups of five years: 19-24, 25–29, 30–34, 35–39, 40-44, 45-49, 50-54, 55-59, 60-64, 65-69, 70-74, 75-79, 80-84, 85-89, 90-94, 95-99, and 100+.
U.S. Masters Swimming
United States Masters Swimming is the governing body of masters swimming in the United States, sponsoring competition at all levels both in the pool and in the open water. In addition, it sponsors programs for non-competitive "fitness" swimmers who train primarily for the health benefits that the activity offers to the aging athlete.
Masters Swimming Canada
Masters Swimming Canada is the governing body of Masters Swimming in Canada, listing swim clubs, competitions and provincial master swim associations.
- When Paths Cross Among Hall Of Famers
- Meg Gill Radically Changes The Sport Of Swimming
- Torpedo Swimtalk With Danielle Spurling
- Jim McConica Reminisces About His Swimming Career On WOWSA Live
- U.S. Master Swimming
- Open Water Swimming
- Marathon Swimming
- It's Miller Time At U.S. Masters Swimming
- Why We Love Masters Swimming Workouts
- Abe Rogers Coaching In Real Time And By The Phone
- How Baby Boomers Will Affect Open Water Swimming
- Competing At The Highest Echelon
- Anthony McCarley Taking It To Another Level
- The Origins Of The Hour Postal Swim
- The Legendary Laura Val Rethinks What Is Possible
- Ricardo Valdivia Wins Age-Group Hour Championship
- Andrew Chamberline Takes The Challenge In Open Water
- The Legacy Of Maria Lenk
- Laura Val Represents The New Normal
- World Marathon Swimming Association
- Steve West Names World Masters Swimmer Of The Year
- Jim McConica Named World Masters Swimmer Of The Year
- Karl Hauter, Water Rat, Honored By Swimming World Magazine
- Shoko Yonezawa Swims Against The Current
- 2016 Masters Swimming National Coaches Clinic
- Tuck Talk By Winter Swimmer Martha Wood
- Dr. Jim Miller Honored by MISHOF