Mary Margaret Revell
Mary Margaret Revell Goodwin is an American open water swimmer from Michigan who set 8 world open water swimming records over the course of her career. She edited a magazine, made BBC documentaries, wrote a children’s book, raised sea otters while living in London, worked in the Pentagon, took up distance running, founded a company that made swimwear and sporting gear, and became a county historian in Maryland.
Open Water Swimming Highlights
- On 28 June 1962, she completed a 14.4 km crossing of the Strait of Gibraltar starting from Sainar, Spain and finishing in Morocco in 7 hours 13 minutes at the age of 24 as the first American woman.
- In 1964, she completed a 22 km crossing of the Sea of Galilee from Capernaum to Zemach in Israel at the age of 27 in 9 hours 39 minutes 10 seconds.
- She completed a two-way crossing of the Hellespont in Dardanelles, Turkey.
- She completed a 13-mile swim across the Strait of Messina in Italy in 5 hours 20 minutes as the first woman.
- She made 6 attempts at crossing the English Channel from 1962 to 1969 including a 4 hour 33 minute attempt on 24 September 1962, a 5 hour 2 minute attempt on 10 October 1962, and a 3 hour 30 minute attempt on 15 September 1963.
- She swam 18 miles from Malibu to Santa Monica in 8 hours 13 minutes.
- She was the first woman to swim 16 miles across the Mackinac Straits in Michigan in 7 hours 30 minutes.
- She completed a 32.3 km crossing of the Catalina Channel in 11 hours 50 minutes.
- She swam a two-way crossing of the Bosporus near Istanbul as well as the length of the Bosporus.
- She completed a 20-mile crossing of the Sea of Marmora.
- 60 Years Ago, Ted Erikson Just Got Started
- Mary Margaret Revell's Romance With The Water
- A different history for a historian
- MARY MARGARET REVELL, doppia traversata s.l. - 16.04.1963
- Open Water Swimming
- World Open Water Swimming Association
- Asociación Cruce A Nado Del Estrecho De Gibraltar
- Haboker, 22 October 1964, Y.Waksman
- Girl Plans Busy Swim Schedule
- Gibraltar Crossings, ACNEG on 28 June 1962
- Mary Margaret Revell from Detroit, Channel Swimming Dover
- Claudia McPherson with Channel Swim Association Certificate
- Mary Margaret Revell Goodwin: One of Kern County’s greatest athletes
- Races High School Welcomes Back Distinguished Alumna Who Set Ocean Swimming Records
- Nancy Reagan Family Photos
- Future Women's Museum Taking Shape
- Mary Margaret Revell Goodwin Named County Historian