Portland Bridge Swim
The course passing under all 11 bridges on the Willamette River within the city boundaries. Swimmers must complete a qualifying swim to enter, and are required to have a support kayaker (rentals available) to swim.
The first half of the Portland Bridge Swim course runs through a park-like setting and passes through downtown Portland. The bridges are close together and enticed the swimmers to carry on. The second half of the course is tougher, running through an industrial area with just two bridges in the distance that presents a psychological challenge for the swimmers.
The Race Start is at Sellwood Park, SE 7th Ave. & Miller St. in Portland. The Race Finish is at Cathedral Park, N. Edison & Pittsburg Ave. in Portland.
The course is approximately 11 miles (17K) with the current. Swimmers will enter the water at Sellwood Park, swim South under the Sellwood Bridge, pass around the bridge pylons and swim North along the East side of the river. The course runs under all 11 of Portland’s Willamette River bridges, through downtown and beyond. Swimmers will pass under the St. John’s bridge and exit the water via the boat ramp in Cathedral Park. Water temperature is expected to be between 66-72°F (19-22°C).
While the exact route is left to each swimmer, there are some course decisions that are common sense: stay away from high-traffic boat areas such as docks and marina entrances. Avoid shallow areas. Swim where the current is strongest.
1. Emily Melina, 4:19:10 First Place, Women's No Wetsuit
2. Michelle Macy, 4:29:00
3. Ben Weston, 4:39:10 First Place, Men's No Wetsuit
4. Garrett Martin, 5:11:42
5. Joni Young, 5:13:04
6. John Ellis, 5:19:07 First Place, Men's Wetsuit
7. Cara Shrum, 5:26:47
8. Kelsey Bowen, 5:32:13
9. Mark Braun, 5:40:50
10. Mike Humphreys, 5:40:50
11. Suzanne Dods, 6:05:44
12. Bob Needham, 6:22:24
13. Bonnie Edwards, 6:26:02
14. Sethyn Bryan, 7:46:51, First Place, Women's No Wetsuit
- Portland Bridge Swim
- The New DC Marathon Swim, Pioneered by James Loreto And Denis Crean
- Ryan Bullock Wins Portland Bridge Swim
- Bridges Under Untroubled Water, The Portland Bridge Swim
- Swim Under The Sparkling Sun, Portland Bridge Swim 3.0
- Marathon Swimming
- Open Water Swimming
- World Open Water Swimming Association
- The Magic Of Marisa, Passionate About Portland
- A Swimmer's Dozen, The Portland Bridge Swim
- Municipal Waterways Enable Urban Swimming
- Bridge Over Untroubled Waters, Hopefully In 2015
- Lucky 13 In 2015 Portland Bridge Swim
- Swim Under Bridges Over Untroubled Waters
- Portland Bridge Swim sends competitors under 12 bridges in 11 miles (Photos)
- Swim Under Bridges Of Untroubled Waters
- Visionaries See Start To Oregon Swimcation In 2018