World Record Holder
She holds a total of 6 Guinness World Records.
Maria Cristina Foundation
The Maria Cristina Foundation has provided education to over 600 children. She raises awareness and funds through her athletic endeavors to give a positive message to children in the slums of the UAE. She wants the children to realise their dreams despite the expectations of society.
- In 2010, Maria summited Mount Kilimanjaro
- In 2011, Maria made a successful trek to the North Pole
- In 2011, Maria walked a marathon on each of the 7 emirates in the UAE in 7 days
- In 2013, Maria became the first Portuguese woman to summit Mount Everest
- Maria has ran 7 ultra marathons on 7 continents in 6 weeks, 7 ultra marathons in 7 days and 7 marathons on 7 continents in 11 days.
- In 2016, Maria is training to swim across the English Channel under the guidance of Sally Minty-Gravett
Maria herself has received several awards and recognition for her work, including European Union Woman Innovators Award, Emirates Humanitarian Woman of the Year 2009, Emirates Woman of the Year 2009, Most Inspiring Woman of GCC 2010, Sustainable leadership Award 2013, and Inspiring Change Award 2014.