noun - Jaws is a 1975 American thriller film directed by Steven Spielberg and based on Peter Benchley's novel of the same name. The summer blockbuster film is regarded as a watershed moment in motion picture history. In 2001, Jaws was selected by the Library of Congress for preservation in the United States National Film Registry, being deemed "culturally, historically, or aesthetically significant".
A giant man-eating Great white shark attacks beach-goers on Amity Island, a fictional summer resort town, prompting the local police chief to hunt it with the help of a marine biologist and a professional shark hunter. The film stars Roy Scheider as police chief Martin Brody, Richard Dreyfuss as oceanographer Matt Hooper, Robert Shaw as shark hunter Quint, Murray Hamilton as the mayor of Amity Island, Lorraine Gary as Brody's wife, Ellen, and Susan Backlinie as the first shark attack victim Chrissie Watkins.
Generally well received by critics, Jaws became the highest-grossing film in history at the time, and it was the most successful motion picture of all time until Star Wars. It won several awards for its soundtrack and editing, and is often cited as one of the greatest films of all time. Along with Star Wars, Jaws was pivotal in establishing the modern Hollywood business model, which revolves around blockbuster action and adventure pictures with simple "high-concept" premises that are released during the summer in thousands of theaters and supported by heavy advertising.
- Ram Tough, Swimming In The Death Zone From The Ring Of Death To Strandfontein
- What Was The Most Impactful Open Water Swim In World History?
- Binge Watching Swimming Over The Last Century
- The Making Of Iconic Film Scenes
- Uaimh an tSolais & Uaimh na nÉan
- The Most Viewed Open Water Swimmer In History
- Quint, Hooper, Brody In The Open Water Swimming World
- Jaws Was Hollywood, Global Carnage Is A True Story
- When Jellyfish Replace Sharks
- Shark Encounter Leaves A Tooth In Charlotte Brynn
- Great Movies For Open Water Swimmers
- Sam Krohn Finds His Niche In The Open Water
- Armed With Nothing But A Swimsuit
- Steven Spielberg's Legacy - Don't Go In The Water
- Open Water Swimming Books And Movies
- Curriculum Offerings Of The Open Water
- World Open Water Swimming Association
- Open Water Swimming
- Great Open Water Swimming Venues In Movies
- Enjoying The Transition From The Pool To Open Water