International Winter Swimming Festival Argentina
Matías Ola's International Winter Swimming Festival Argentina (Festival Internacional de Natación de Invierno en Argentina) is a 3-race cold-water winter swimming event in Argentina, organized Matías Ola. The events are held in various locations throughout Argentina with 60 swimmers from 25 countries participating in 1-10 August 2014 and 18-25 July 2015. It was nominated for the 2014 World Open Water Swimming Performance of the Year.
- Puerto Madero in Buenos Aires (expected water temperature is 3-5ºC)
- Lago Potrerillos in Mendoza
- El Calafate in Santa Cruz at the International Festival Perito Moreno Glacier (where the expected water temperatures will vary between 0-2ºC).
Río de la Plata from Uruguay to Argentina
Athletes from 25 countries including England, South Africa, Estonia, Latvia, Ireland, Chile, Argentina, and Australia participate.
2014 World Open Water Swimming Performance of the Year Nomination
"The crème-de-la-crème of the world’s fittest and finest ice swimmers showed up for the inaugural International Winter Swimming Festival, spread out among 3 scenic locations around Argentina. Host and organizer Matías Ola rolled the red carpet for the veteran ice swimmers from England, Ireland, South Africa, Estonia, Latvia, Chile, Argentina and Australia. The 3-event cold-water extravaganza was the first of its kind in the Americas, where the series showcased some the world’s best extreme athletes in Puerto Madero in Buenos Aires, Lago Potrerillos in Mendoza, and El Calafate who were surrounded by glaciers and immersed in water between 0-5ºC. For expanding the global community of ice swimmers to South America and making it a year-round aquatic discipline, for its gracious hospitality of the international community, for Matías Ola’s selection of stunningly picturesque venues to showcase the sport, the International Winter Swimming Festival Argentina is a worthy nominee for the 2014 World Open Water Swimming Performance of the Year."
2014 World Open Water Swimming Performance of the Year Nominees
1. Beyond Avalon by Dan Henry, Dave Speier, William Miller, Steve Miller, Lee Grove, Dana Selles, Mark Zambon, Penny Nagel, Chris Gibson, Jon Rodley, Jonathan Hands, Nick Jeffery, Terry Hirt (U.S.A.)
2. Curaçao Channel Crossing by Niko Kluyver, André Nottelman, Erwin Ruijsink (Curaçao)
3. Cyprus Israel Swim by Udi Erell, Doron Amosi, Ben Enosh, Ori Sela, Oded Rahav, Luc Chetboun (Israel)
4. Diomede Islands Swim by Alexandr Brylin and Grigorii Prokopchuk (Russia)
5. English Channel Crossing by Cyril Baldock (Australia)
6. Great Lake Adventure by Vicki Keith, Abi Tripp, Nick Streicher, Michelle Sempowski, Natasha Dobson, Harley Bolton, Natalie Lambert, Jenna Lambert (Canada)
7. International Winter Swimming Festival Argentina by Matías Ola (Argentina)
8. Lake Ontario Crossing by Trinity Arsenault (Canada)
9. Madagascar Swim by Thane Guy Williams and Jonno Proudfoot (South Africa)
10. Manhattan Island Marathon Swim by Kristian Rutford (U.S.A.)
11. Mallorca 360° Circumnavigation Swim by Richard Krugel (South Africa)
12. Monterey Bay Crossing by Patti Bauernfeind (U.S.A.)
13. Prison Island Swims by Jacques Tuset (France)
14. Triple Crown of Open Water Swimming by Charlotte Samuels (U.S.A.)
15. U.S. Lifeguarding Champions by Monmouth County Lifeguards (U.S.A.)
International Winter Swimming Festival Argentina
Matías Ola is an open water swimmer from Argentina who specializes in extreme swimming. He will swim in various open bodies of water around the world in his Unir el Mundo project and was a member of the successful, unprecedented, 6-day Bering Strait Swim relay, a 53-mile (86 km) relay crossing from Cape Dezhnev in Chukotka, Russia, to Cape Prince of Wales in the state of Alaska, U.S.A. He also participated in the 2014 Winter Swimming Championships in the 450m endurance swim in Finland and organised the 2014 International Winter Swimming Festival in Argentina.
- Puerto Madero
- Unir del Mundo
- Matías Ola And Nadadores Extremos In Argentina
- Elana Guseva Has Ice In Her Veins And A Warm Heart
- Matías Ola Hosts World's Ice Swimmers In Argentina
- 2014 World Open Water Swimming Offering of the Year Nominees
- 2014 World Open Water Swimming Woman Of The Year Nominees
- 2014 World Open Water Swimming Performance of the Year Nominees
- 2014 WOWSA Awards Nominees
- 2014 World Open Water Swimming Man of the Year Nominees
- Matías Ola Taking To The Extremes
- What A Performance In The Open Water
- Capri Djatiasmoro Warms The Ice In Russia
- Alexandr Brylin, Grigori Prokopchuk's Diomedes Swim Is 2014 World Open Water Swimming Performance Of The Year
- How Far Can They Go In The Cold Water?
- Traveling The World In Search Of Icy Challenges
- Moments When Memories Are Made
- Bárbara Hernández's Transition From Neoprene To Bioprene