Open Water Swimming Career Highlights
- She completed a 28.5-mile (45.9 km) circumnavigation swim around Manhattan Island in New York in 11 hours 45 minutes on 24 September 1916 to become the first woman and second person overall to complete this swim. She started the swim with her brother Henry Elionsky, nickname Buster and the Human Iceberg who started and finished the swim with his hands and feet shackled.
- She completed a number of river swims around the New York City area promoting swimming as she occasionally swam with her hands shackled or with her larger brother Henry Elionsky tied to her back for portions of these swims.
- One of these swims was through Hell Gate in New York City where she swam with her arms and feet shackled.
- Dr. Jane Katz, Dr. Tim Johnston Talk Manhattan With Ned Denison On WOWSA Live
- The Sun, 25 September 1916 Girl Swims Around Manhattan Island Ida Elionsky Covers the 40 Miles in 11 Hours and 45 Minutes
- "Girl Swims Around Manhattan Island". New York Times. June 26, 1921. Retrieved 2010-06-24. Miss Gade is said to be the second woman to accomplish the feat of swimming around Manhattan Island, Miss Ida Elionsky having done it in September, 1916, in 11 hours and 46 minutes, as compared to Miss Gade's time of 15 hours and 56 minutes.
- Glenn Stout (2009). Young Woman and the Sea: How Trudy Ederle Conquered the English Channel. Houghton Mifflin Harcourt. ISBN 0-618-85868-6. ... and a woman, Ida Elionsky, had done the same in 1916, completing the swim in eleven hours and thirty-five minutes, two hours faster than Dowling. The swim was challenging but was as much a matter of planning as athletic skill. ...
- Information annual. 1916. Ida Elionsky set a long distance swimming mark Sept 24, that was said to be a record for a woman when she swam around Manhattan Island- covering forty miles in 11 hours and 45 minutes. With her brother, who weighs 265 pounds, so, ...
- Girl And Buster Swim Around Manhattan Island
- Buster And Ida Elionsky Around They Go
- Ida Elionsky Leaves A Legacy In The Open Water
- World Open Water Swimming Association
- Open Water Swimming
- Swell: A Waterbiography by Jenny Landreth
- Ida Elionsky
- IDA ELIONSKY
- Information Quarterly, Volume 2 October 1916
- Annual Information
- Information: A Monthly Digest of Current Events and World Progress ..., Volume 2
- Man Can Swim Indefinitely
- Open Water Swimming 101 Years Ago
- SuperShe Island Opens In July
- Ida Elionsky Enters International Marathon Swimming Hall Of Fame
- Royalty Meet-up At Royal Brighton Yacht Club
- Nominate The Greatest For The Hall Of Fame