noun - Outdoor Swimmer, formerly the H2Open Magazine is an open water swimming magazine published in the UK with a global perspective on the sport. The magazine is available on subscription in print or electronic formats. The publication covers all aspects of swimming outside from wild swimming to mass participation racing to long-distance solo challenges. It contains regular features on classic swims, training and nutrition as well as news. It also sponsors H2Open Day, a conference where the H2Open Awards are given.
Simon Griffiths, Publisher, Founder and Editor of H2Open Magazine talks about the world's first printed magazine devoted to open water swimming. Outdoor Magazine is a publication for anyone who loves open water swimming whether you are a beginner or an experienced veteran, taking on a long-distance challenge, doing your first mass participation race or simply looking for a beautiful place to take a dip. Its writers include Kate Rew, founder of the Outdoor Swimming Society, Simon Murie, founder of SwimTrek, Dan Bullock, founder and head coach at Swim for Tri, Paul Newsome, founder of Swim Smooth, and Rick Kiddle, ex-international triathlete and coach to model Jodie Kidd. We also have a panel of experts to answer swimming-related questions including Steven Munatones, and Colin Hill, organizer of the British Gas Great Swim Series."
Staff and Contributors
• Joel Enoch is a sports scientist and triathlete. He writes nutrition features and manages the H2Open National Ranking Series that will launch in 2012
• Matt Dettmar does all the clever design stuff and makes sure each issue looks great
• Stuart Churchill looks after our marketing and is also an eagle-eyed proof-reader
• Simon Murie runs SwimTrek, the swimming holiday company, and writes the regular classic swims column
• Paul Newsome and Adam Young run the swimming coaching company Swim Smooth and write “Swim Plus”
• Kate Rew is the founder of the Outdoor Swimming Society and writes our Top Spots and Iconic Swim locations pages
• Dan Bullock is the founder of Swim for Tri and writes regular features on swim training
• Colin Hill devised the British Gas Great Swim Series and now works for London Organising Committee of the Olympic and Paralympic Games (LOCOG) as the technical operations manager for the Olympic 10K Marathon Swim at the 2012 London Olympics. He is one of the expert commentators
• Steven Munatones is founder of World Open Water Swimming Association and the creator of Openwaterpedia and the Daily News of Open Water Swimming. He was one of the commentators and regular features writer.
• Jonathan Knott is a freelance journalist and keen outdoor swimmer. He writes the lidos column and other features.
• Gerald Smith is a strength and conditioning coach. He contributes regular strength training features.
• Nicola Joyce is a freelance journalist and English Channel swimmer, and a regular H2Open contributor.
• Rick Kiddle is a former British Champion Triathlete and now a triathlon and open water swimming coach. He writes ‘Kiddle’s corner’
• Midgie Thompson founded Bright Futures Coaching and is a mental preparation coach. She is one of the expert commentators.
• Paul Hobrough founded Physio&Therapy and is a former international canoeist. He is one of the expert commentators.
• Emily Davies and Adele Page are illustrators who provide lovely cartoons and practical illustrations.
2017 World Open Water Swimming Offering of the Year Nominees
1. 48 Braçades by Miquel Suñer (Spain)
2. Blue Journey Dangerous Waves Project by Bruckner Chase (USA)
3. Global Swim Series by Rob Kent & Dylan Kent (Canada)
4. LongSwimsDB by Evan Morrison (USA)
5. New York Open Water by David Barra, Rondi Davies & Alex Arévalo (USA)
6. Open Water Swim Academy by Dan Simonelli (USA)
7. Outdoor Swimmer by Simon Griffiths (Great Britain)
8. Sea Donkey with Adrian Sarchet (Guernsey)
9. Shark Bait by Dr. Seán O’Connell (Bermuda)
10. Swim Argentina by Matías Ola (Argentina)
11. The Channel of Bones with Toni Enderli (South Africa)
12. Travessia do Leme ao Pontal by Adherbal de Oliveira & Renato Ribeiro Barbosa (Brazil)
2017 World Open Water Swimming Offering of the Year Nomination
Outdoor Swimmer made a major decision to change its original brand from H2Open Magazine in 2017. It was a risky change, but the strategy behind the thought process was brilliant and well thought-out. As the most colorful, informative, comprehensive open water swimming-dedicated publication in the world, the magazine is a must-have for everyone from the hardened marathon and cold water swimmers to casual enthusiasts in the sport. Content includes spotlighting outdoor swimming personalities and events with insightful interviews are augmented by a global calendar of events and a complimentary social media presence. For its belief in its core mission and essential values to make such fundamental change to its brand, for flawlessly pulling off its transition to reach its next stage of development and global expansion, for providing 12 issues of beautiful open water swimming photography and engaging prose by Simon Griffiths, Jonathan Cowie and talented writers and photographers, Outdoor Swimmer is a worthy nominee for the 2017 World Open Water Swimming Offering of the Year.
- Ella Foote, Outdoor Swimming Extraordinaire
- Share The Adventure At The Kendal Mountain Festival
- Join Colin Hill, Jaimie Monahan, Alice Dearing At 2020 Kendal Mountain Festival
- Simon Griffiths Explains ‘Just Doing It’ On WOWSA Live
- Elaine Howley Making, Documenting History On WOWSA Live
- Omar El Galla Experiences An Adventure Of A Lifetime In Sinai
- 5-way?!? No Way?!? Well, Maybe Yes…
- Outdoor Swimmer Magazine
- H2Open Magazine
- The Twelve Days Of Christmas In The Open Water
- You Are A Newbie Swimmer If...
- The Open Water Show Must Go On
- Midgie Thompson, Swimming And Soaring With Confidence
- Simon Griffiths Takes H2Open On The Road
- Choosing Words Wisely
- World Open Water Swimming Association
- Open Water Swimming
- Olympic 10K Marathon Swim round-up
- Marathon Swimming
- Olympic 10K Marathon Swim
- Daily News of Open Water Swimming
- It's A Deal For Outdoor Swimmer(s)
- Doctoring A Hoax Across The English Channel