Great British Farallon Swim
The Great British Farallon Swim is a 30-mile 4-member relay attempt between the Farallon Islands and the Golden Gate Bridge at the mouth of the San Francisco Bay in northern California. The attempt is sanctioned by the Farallon Islands Swimming Federation whose window is 7-9 May 2015. It is a charity swim for the RNLI lifeguards in the UK.
Members include John Gunn (UK), Joel Richards (AU/UK), Ali Wilde (UK), Mary Stokes (UK/Argentina), and Edward Morgan (UK). The team will be escorted by Vito Bialla, Mauricio Prieto, Dave Holscher and Dr. David Ogden.
- Ali Wilde is an endurance junkie and cold water specialist from the UK. He led the world's first expedition across the jungles of Madagascar by foot in 2012 and is hoping the Great British Farallon Swim relay will be another pioneering feat to add to his credentials.
- John Gunn is a cold water marathon swimmer from the UK who has completed the 9 km Robben Island crossing in 12ºC in 3 hours 20 minutes in 2013 and the 3 km Alcatraz swim in 2012, and the Marathon Des Sables in 2012.
- Joel Richards is an accomplished endurance athlete from the UK living in Australia who has completed numerous triathlons and the Ironman.
- Edward Morgan is an open water swimmer and a swimming instructor from the UK.
- Mary Stokes is an open water swimmer since 2010.
- Simon Clarke is an open water swimmer.