Gail Rice is an American masters swimmer and marathon swimmer from Miami Shores, Florida, renowned for her churning 90 strokes per minute pace. She is also a mother of two children who are accomplished open water swimmers: Sarah Rice and Michael Rice.
Open Water Swimming Career
- Rice completed the English Channel in 1999 in 8 hours 12 minutes, one of the fastest female crossings of all time at the age of 43
- Rice won the 45.9 km Manhattan Island Marathon Swim in 1995 at the age of 38.
- Rice finished second in the 45.9 km Manhattan Island Marathon Swim in 1996 7 hours 27 minutes 45 seconds as one of the only two women in the field at the age of 39.
- Rice won the 24-mile Tampa Bay Marathon Swim in 1998 at the age of 42, becoming the first woman to complete the 24-mile swim and setting a record of 8 hours 34 minutes
- Rice was the first person to swim 22 miles around Sanibel Island in Florida, finishing in 9 hours 27 minutes despite tough currents.
- Rice swam 12.5 miles - all butterfly - around Key West, Florida where her escort kayaker confirmed that she never broke stroke.
- At the age of 39, Rice swam 21 miles around Miami Beach in 1996 in 8 hours 9 minutes, together with Randy Nutt who were the first people to do so.
- Rice attempted a 50-mile swim from Bimini to Florida in 1997 where she was pulled from the water after 14 hours 57 minutes after 44 miles.
- Rice was the overall age group series winner in the Nike Ocean Mile Series in 1996.
- Rice finished second in the 12.5-mile Swim Around Key West in 1996 to her 15-year-old daughter Sarah Rice who set a new course record.
- Rice won the 18th annual Swim Around Key West in 1994.
- Rice won the Miami Mile (first female) in Florida.
- Rice won the Delray Ocean Mile (second female) in Florida.
- Rice finished third overall in the Ft. Lauderdale Ocean Mile in Florida.
- Rice won the Boca Ocean Mile in Florida
Masters Pool Swimming Career
- Rice holds masters swimming records for 40-44 women in the 1650-yard free, 200 breast, 200 fly and 400 IM (short course).
- Rice came in third in the 1995 USMS One Hour Postal Swim Championships with 5,025 yards.
- Rice is a former All-American at Pine Crest Academy where she specialized in the breaststroke and IM events.
- Michael Rice, Ned Denison Discuss The SCAR Swim Challenge On WOWSA Live
- Flat Abs, Fitness And Fly
- U.S. Masters Swimming on Gail Rice
- Amazing Floridian Churning Fast
- Open Water Swimming
- Butterfly Swim Rules In The Open Water
- Women Swimming Circles Around Manhattan Island
- Distance Matters In Tampa Bay
- Distance Matters Twitter
- World Open Water Swimming Association
- Swimmers Of The 18th 24-Mile Tampa Bay Marathon Swim
- Tampa Bay Marathon Swim
- Open Water Swimming