The Freedom Swim is a 7.5 km ocean swim from Robben Island to Big Bay beach in Cape Town, South Africa renowned for its cold waters, rough conditions and sharks that attracts aspirational channel swimmers, cold water swimmers and professional marathon swimmers from around the world.
- The Freedom Swim was originally part of the South Africa Swim Series in the Western Cape of South Africa.
- It was named as one of the World's Top 100 Open Water Swims by the World Open Water Swimming Association in 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019 and 2020.
- It was named as one of the World's Top 100 Island Swims by the World Open Water Swimming Association in 2019 and 2020.
- In 2020 during the global lockdown due to the coronavirus pandemic, the Freedom Swim was changed to the Freedom Swim Lockdown Challenge on 27 April 2020.
Country South Africa
Name Ram Barkai
South Africa Swim Series
- Freedom Swim
- Ram Barkai Announces New Freedom Swim Wave Series In South Africa
- World Open Water Swimming Association
- Daily News of Open Water Swimming
- Marathon Swimming
- Australian Marathon Swimming Hall of Fame Honors James Pittar
- Lockdown Swimming Around The World
- Freedom Swim on Facebook
- America's Very Difficult Open Water Swims
- 10 Difficult Short Open Water Swims
- Heritage Day Swim
- Top 100 Open Water Swims in Africa
- The Cadiz Swim Series
- Cadiz Freedom Swim