Swimming Career Highlights
- Vermeulen made her international senior debut at the 2011 European Short Course Swimming Championships in Szczecin, Poland. At the 2014 FINA World Championships in Doha, she won three gold medals for swimming in the heats of all three freestyle relays. Together with her teammates Ranomi Kromowidjojo, Maud van der Meer, and Inge Dekker, she broke the world record in the heats of the 4×50m freestyle relay.
- Vermeulen qualified for the 2016 Rio Olympic Games in the 4 × 200m freestyle relay where the team finished 14th in the heats.
- Vermeulen participated in the 2016 King and Queen of the Sea competition in Copacabana Beach, teaming up with Dutch teammate Ferry Weertman.
- Vermeulen competed in the 2017 FINA 10K Marathon Swimming World Cup professional marathon swimming circuit.
- On 8 August 2018, she finished 3rd in the 10 km LEN European Championships in Loch Lomond, Scotland.
- On 11 August 2018, she won the 5 km mixed team relay at the 2018 LEN European Championships in Loch Lomond, Scotland together with Ferry Weertman, Sharon van Rouwendaal and Pepijn Smits.
- On 23 December 2018, she competed in the King and Queen of the Sea in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.
- She competed on the 2019 FINA / CNSG Marathon Swim World Series in Seychelles on 12 May 2019.
2020 WOWSA Awards
I Swim And Travel Around The World by Yasu Fukuoka of Japan was nominated for the 2020 WOWSA Awards in the World Open Water Swimming Offering of the Year category with the following nomination: Yasu Fukuoka is a 2-time Olympic marathon swimmer who entered the finish chute at the 2016 Rio Olympics in position to capture Japan's first Olympic medal in open water swimming. Yasu, as he is known among his competitors, in the Japanese media, and among race directors around the world is a personable, passionate athlete who has literally traveled around the world to over 50 countries either racing or training in pursuit of an Olympic medal. In cooperation with his Dutch Olympic friends including gold medalist Ferry Weertman, world record holder Esmee Vermeulen, Paralympic gold medalist Lisa Kruger, Olympic physiotherapist Jan Herber, and Olympic coach Patrick Pearson, Yasu created a lifestyle brand of clothing that speaks swimming. For establishing the first authentic clothing brand for swimmers, for designing fashionable jackets, jeans, sweatshirts, shirts, baseball and knit caps, t-shirts, cases and towels specifically for swimmers, and for identifying and defining a persona and ambiance for those who love training and competing in the water, I Swim And Travel Around The World by Yasu Fukuoka is a worthy nominee for the 2020 World Open Water Swimming Offering of the Year.
- When Ky Hurst And Yasu Fukuoka Meet Outside The Open Water
- YASU Is Taking Off In Japan And Expanding Globally
- 2020 WOWSA Awards – World Open Water Swimming Offering Of The Year Nominees
- YASU Enters Fashion World, Launches New Brand
- FINA/CNSG Marathon Swim World Series 2019 Rankings
- Esmee Vermeulen
- Ferry Weertman To Return To Copacabana Beach
- Olympic 10K Medalists Return To Rio
- World Open Water Swimming Association
- In's And Out's By The Kings And Queens Of The Sea
- Ana Marcela Cunha Wins Tight Race In China
- Arianna Bridi Wraps Up FINA World Cup Title In Hong Kong
- Italians Win The King & Queen Of The Sea