Deniz Kayadelen is a 33-year-old Turkish open water swimmer and author.
Open Water Swimming Highlights
- She participated in the Out of our Comfort Zone 33.5 km English Channel relay with Emre Deliveli, Raha Akhavan-Tabatabaei, Yasemin Bagana from England to France on 25 August 2019 in 11 hours 40 minutes with escort pilot Eric Hartley.
- She participated in the Swim from Mersin to Girne - 90K, a 90 km relay swim between Mersin in Turkey and Girne on the north coast of Cyprus on Peace Day in Turkey on 1 September 2019 with Erman Akkaya, Temel Yaki, Boran Karataş, Emin Aydin Yağmurlu, Mustafa Şakir Başaran, Mehmet Hilmi Soylu, Zafer Özdem, Pelin Çelik, Nukhet Atilgan, Burçak Tümay Pekel, and Murat Meto.
- She participated in the Peace Route Swim, a 91.27 km (48 nautical miles) 9-person relay with members from Hacettepe University Youth and Sports Club Association Master Swimming Team that started at the Mersin Taşucu Harbor in the Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus and finished on the Turkish mainland in the town of Silifke in Mersin. The relay took 37 hours 30 minutes and was part of World Peace Day. The team started on 2 September 2020 at 4:20 am and finished on 3 September 2020 at 5:50 pm as the 9 swimmers each completed four one-hour legs in rotation.
- On 30 July 2019, she participated in a 35 km North Channel Mad Turks relay with Emre Deliveli, Raha Akhavan-Tabatabaei, Ayse Yasemin Bagana and Deniz Kayadelen, the first Turkish team to complete a relay across the North Channel.
- In February 2020, she became the first Turkish woman to complete a 7.4 km Robben Island crossing.
- She is a competitive swimmer with many pool and open water swimming medals won in Germany and Turkey.
- She is currently the 30-34 record holder for 200m butterfly in Turkey.
- She participated on the 320 km international relay from Sochi, Russia to Giresun, Turkey from 14-20 June 2021 called Rusya - Türkiye Uluslararasi Karadeniz 320 km Açik Deniz Yüzme Maratonu.
2020 WOWSA Awards
The Peace Route Swim was nominated for the 2020 WOWSA Awards in the World Open Water Swimming Performance of the Year category with the following nomination: Nine swimmers, ages 33 to 60, from Turkey took on an ambitious goal: to swim 91.27 km from Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus to the Turkish mainland. This was the first time this route had ever been attempted. Along the 37 hour 30 minute relay crossing in the Mediterranean Sea, Erman Akkaya (55), Temel Yakşi (60), Nükhet Atilgan (46), Mehmet Hilmi Soylu (43), Pelin Çelik (48), Zafer Özdem (60), Deniz Kayadelen (33), Burçak Tümay Pekel (33), and Murat Meto (47) encountered much marine life including sharks, while facing warm water and air. They laughed and they worried. They relaxed and they stressed out with the vastly dynamic sea conditions, ranging from a calm sea and tranquil conditions during the daytime hours to challenging turbulent conditions over a long night of uncertainty. For pioneering a new relay swim route from Northern Cyprus to the Turkish mainland, for bringing together young and older swimmers of both genders and various speeds in a successful relay, and for swimming for and celebrating peach through the expression of open water swimming on World Peace Day, the Peace Route Swim by nine swimmers of Turkey is a worthy nominee for the 2020 World Open Water Swimming Performance of the Year.
2020 Peace Route Swim Relay Members
- Erman Akkaya (55 years old from Turkey)
- Temel Yakşi (60 years old from Turkey)
- Nükhet Atilgan (46 years old from Turkey)
- Mehmet Hilmi Soylu (43 years old from Turkey)
- Pelin Çelik (48 years old from Turkey)
- Zafer Özdem (60 years old from Turkey)
- Deniz Kayadelen (33 years old from Turkey)
- Burçak Tümay Pekel (33 years old from Turkey)
- Murat Meto (47 years old from Turkey)
English Channel Relay
North Channel Relay
Out of Comfort Zone
She wrote the book Out of Comfort Zone: Cutting Edge Business Lessons Based on Sports Psychology from the Experience of an Extreme Swimmer that was launched on 9 December 2020. The book was written during the COVID-19 lockdown in South Africa. It documents the inspiring journey of an extreme swimmer and management consultant to give insights on how readers can explore their limits, transform pain to success, and realize their dreams. Swimming is used both as a metaphor and a bridge to corporate life. Inside, readers will find real-life examples of how they can follow their passion, face challenges fearlessly, and expand their growth zone. Readers will get practical tips about useful breathing and meditation exercises, how they can start with cold water training, and, more generally, how they can prepare mentally and physically for any challenge.
- Mediterranean Peace Route Goes International
- 320 km Relay From Sochi, Russia To Giresun, Turkey A 6-Day Success
- Russia-Turkey International Karadeniz, a 320 km Relay Across The Black Sea
- Swimmers For the Third Mediterranean Peace Route
- Channel Swimming Association
- Out of Comfort Zone By Deniz Kayadelen
- Out Of Comfort Zone: Cutting Edge Business Lessons Based on Sports Psychology from the Experience of an Extreme Swimmer
- 2020 WOWSA Awards – World Open Water Swimming Performance Of The Year Nominees
- Peace Route Swim Success From Northern Cyprus To Turkish Mainland
- Peace Route Swim
- Team Channel Swim
- Open Water Swimming
- 90 km Relay Swim Between Mersin And Girne
- World Open Water Swimming Association
- Guinness World Records, Part Two Of Two