Dan Abel is an open water swimmer, a former competitive swimmer and swim coach with Fit & Abel, born in Christchurch, New Zealand. He is an open water swimming coach from New Zealand and the UK. He created sportive swimming through RealSwim Adventures and has completed two Oceans Seven channels to date. He joined the Royal New Zealand Air Force as a commissioned officer in 2001 where he qualified as a navigator, was the air tasking officer during relief efforts in Indonesia and Thailand after the 2004 tsunami, and worked in the demitilarized zone in South Korea. He has a Commercial Pilots licence in both New Zealand and Australia.
Open Water Swimming & Coaching Highlights
- At the age of 37, he crossed the 23 km Cook Strait in New Zealand on 22 March 2013 in 6 hours 15 minutes from South Island to North Island.
- In April 2013, he completed the 10 km Auckland Marathon Swim in New Zealand in 2 hours 44 minutes 20 seconds.
- On 15 April 2017, he completed the 10 km Auckland Marathon Swim in 2 hours 20 minutes 46 seconds at the age of 41.
- On 9 July 2017, he crossed the English Channel from England to France in 11 hours 15 minutes at the age of 41.
- Abel did a 34 km charity swim around Rarotonga to raise funds for Autism Cook Islands in 2017, called Round the Rock Swim for Autism.
- He organizes the 6-race Funky Trunks and Funkita Race Series in New Zealand.
- In September 2017, he became the third person to complete a circumnavigation swim of Rarotonga in 11 hours 2 minutes.
- He competed at a national level from 1988 through to 2008 and included national titles, a 4-year career at the University of Iowa.
- He completed in a national swimming competition in October 2008 at age 33 where he was a finalist in the 100m butterfly.
- He won multiple New Zealand National Masters swimming titles and set records.
- He participated in a 33.5 km relay swim across the English Channel in October 2010 where £9000 was raised for UK charities.
- In 2011, he became a UK National Masters swimming champion for the first time.
- In 2012, he won age titles in the State New Zealand Open Water swim series.
- He competed in the New Zealand National Long Course Masters Swim Championships, winning multiple events and setting National Records.
- In 2013, he was the age group category winner (30-39 years) at the Epic Swimming championships in the 2.5 km and 10 km swim held at Lake Taupo in New Zealand.
- In 2016, he won Epic Masters 2.5 km in Lake Taupo and was first in age group 3.3 km swim.
- He delivered the swimming coaching services for SwimTrek at the London's Tooting Bec Lido.
- He founded and runs Fit & Abel based out of Christchurch, New Zealand.
- He is a Contributing writer for Outdoor Swimmer Magazine.
English Channel Crossing
- Bachelor of Science Recreation Management
- CYQ Level 3 Qualified Personal Trainer
- UK ASA Level 2 Swim Coaching Award
- Swimming NZ Accredited Coach
- Member, UK Institute of Swimming
- Member, Swim Coaches and Teachers of New Zealand Inc
- Member, New Zealand Swimmers Association
- Member, World Swimming Association
- RLS Beach Lifeguard
- Surf Life Saving New Zealand qualified lifeguard
- First Aid at Work certified
- Pre Hospital Emergency Care certified
Funky Trunks and Funkita Race Series
- 12 December 2020 in Lake Rua
- 19 December 2020 in Lake Rua
- 13 January 2021 in Naval Point
- 20 January 2021 in Corsair Bay
- 27 January 2021 in Corsair Bay
- 3 February 2021 in Corsair Bay
- 10 February 2021 in Corsair Bay
- Dan Is Ready, Willing and Abel
- Fit And Able
- Abel To Do A Lot Of Good, Around Rarotonga
- Dan Able Facebook page
- Swim For Autism Cook Islands
- Cook Strait Swimming Association
- World Open Water Swimming Association
- Open Water Swimming
- Marathon Swimming
- Daily News of Open Water Swimming
- I Got Stung
- World Marathon Swimming Association
- Marathon Swimmers Federation bio