Cynthia Nicholas is a Canadian open water swimmer of Scarborough, Ontario.
- She was inducted in the International Marathon Swimming Hall of Fame in 1978 as an Honour Swimmer.
- She was inducted in the International Swimming Hall of Fame as an [[Honor Open Water Swimmer.
- She is a member of Canada's Sports Hall of Fame (Class of 1977).
- She was received the Bobbie Rosenfeld Award, Canada’s female athlete of the year.
Open Water Swimming Highlights
- At age 16 in 1974, Nicholas became the fastest swimmer to cross Lake Ontario with a time of 15 hours 10 minutes.
- Her career includes 19 crossings of the English Channel including five two-way crossings.
- She was the first woman to complete a two-way crossing of the English Channel.
- Of her 19 crossings, she set a two-way record of 18 hours 51 minutes in 1982 and an England-France record of 8 hours 21 minutes on the first leg of her in 1981 two-way crossing.
- In 1974, she completed her first one-way crossing of the English Channel.
- In 1976, she was named the world’s top woman marathon swimmer for a season that included two one-way crossings across the English Channel.
Two-way English Channel Crossings
On 8 September 1976: 19 hours 55 minutes at the age of 20, the first woman and youngest to do so, breaking the previous record set in 1975 by Jon Erikson
1979: 19 hours 12 minutes
1981: 22 hours 21 minutes
1982: 18 hours 55 minutes
1982: 20 hours 9 minutes (16 days after her 18:55 2-way)
1977 World Professional Marathon Swimming Federation Rankings
1. John Kinsella (USA) 1,375 points
2. Bill Heiss (USA) 1,033 points
3. Claudio Plit (Argentina) 932 points
4. Jon Erikson (USA) 604 points
5. Magdy Mandour (Egypt) 563 points
6. Raul Villagomez (Mexico) 556 points
7. Amin Yousseff (Egypt) 550 points
8. Marwan Saleh (Syria) 477 points
9. Ray Dixon (England) 433 points
10. Dennis Matuch (USA) 426 points
11. James Barry (USA) 391 points
12. Nasser El Shazly (Egypt) 331 points
13. Magdy Farid (Egypt) 225 points
14. Ibrahim Feidalla (Egypt) 205 points
15. Baher Hamid (Egypt) 192 points
16. Martin Neiman (USA) 184 points
17. Guy Montpetit (Canada) 158 points
18. Ossama Rachad (Egypt) 150 points
19. Wayne Westman (USA) 133 points
20. Sultan Kigab (Sudan) 131 points
21. Mohamad Gamie (Egypt) 120 points
1. Loreen Passfield (Canada) 1,375 points
2. Cynthia Nicholas (Canada) 1,054 points
3. Kim Lumsdon (Canada) 545 points
4. Corrie Dixon (Holland) 483 points
5. Nazala Moustafa (Egypt) 404 points
6. Omneya Tantawi (Egypt) 379 points
7. Sharon Beckman (USA) 245 points
8. Martha Stortz (USA) 210 points
- When The Machine Dominated, A Look At The Pro Circuit In 1977
- World Professional Marathon Swimming Federation
- World Open Water Swimming Association
- Open Water Swimming
- Daily News of Open Water Swimming
- Marathon Swimming
- Back In Time: In 1977 With The Channel Swimming Association
- Bryan Finlay Honored By International Marathon Swimming Hall Of Fame
- International Marathon Swimming Hall of Fame website
- Wandering Samurai In The Open Water
- Open Water Swimming Dual Inductees And Dual Honorees