Open Water Swimming Highlights
- He swam with 38-year-old Steve Minaglia M.D. from the Waikiki Swim Club and 29-year-old Scott Harvey M.D. to cross the 9.3-mile (15 km) Pailolo Channel from the island of Maui to the island of Molokai on 4 February 2012. They departed at DT Fleming Beach on Maui at 6:42 am and finished on Molokai just over 6 hours later.
- He crossed the Kalohi Channel in 6 hours 6 minutes with Steve Minaglia M.D. (5 hours 48 minutes) and Scott Harvey M.D. (5 hours 48 minutes) between the Hawaiian islands of Molokai and Lanai on 12 May 2012. Paul Luuwai was their captain and Blair Norris was their paddle boarder support and videographer.
- He crossed the Strait of Gibraltar on 1 July 2012 in 6 hours 40 minutes, together with Danielle Ruymaker, to join the Half Century Club.
- He swam 15.8 miles around Alameda Island in San Francisco Bay, California on 9 September 2018 in 7 hours 12 minutes to break the existing circumnavigation swim record previously set on 19 August 1951 by Al Kallunki.
Coombs has been the President head of Coombs Medical Device Consulting in Alameda, California since 1998. His group specializes in hands-on, innovative, US and European regulatory strategies for start-ups and companies that need to change their business strategies. Their skills also include cost-effective first-in-man or VC milestone clinical trial design, management and analysis. Coombs received his BS in Biology from Stanford University. He is a former Vice President of Medtronic in the areas of Regulatory Affairs, Quality Assurance and Clinical Studies and an instructor in Medical Devices for the University of California at Santa Cruz.
Video by Blair Norris
- Trio Has A Whale of a Time
- Danielle Ruymaker and Craig Coombs Join Half Century Club
- Craig Coombs Linkedin bio
- Marcia Benjamin Wrote The MEMO On Masters Swimming
- World Open Water Swimming Association
- Craig Coombs Sets Alameda Island Record, Long Version
- Open Water Swimming
- Craig Coombs Sets Alameda Island Record