Christine Cossette (born 20 September 1961) is an open water swimmer from Canada. She was inducted in the International Marathon Swimming Hall of Fame in 1982 as an Honour Swimmer. She is the daughter of fellow International Marathon Swimming Hall of Fame Honour Swimmer Robert Cossette, inducted in 2004.
Open Water Swimming Career
- In 1984, the Canadian professional marathon swimmer became the first person to complete a 64 km (39.7-mile) double-crossing of lac St-Jean in Quebec, Canada in 18 hours 27 minutes. After completing the first leg in 9 hours 29 minutes, she swam the second leg in 8 hours 59 minutes.
- Her unprecedented two-way crossing led to an annual double-crossing Traversee Internationale du Lac St-Jean from 1985 to 1989.
- She won the 1980, 1981 and 1982 42 km Traversée Internationale du lac Memphrémagog in Quebec, Canada.
- She competed in the Le 14 Mile du Paspébiac Gaspésie Bonaventure, several marathon swims in Egypt, and the Atlantic City Around the Island Swim.
L’aventure de l’eau libre
25e Traversée internationale du lac St-Jean
1. John Kinsella (USA) 7 hours 1 minutes 15 seconds
2. Claudio Plit (Argentina) 7 hours 16 minutes 21 seconds
3. Bill Heiss (USA) 7 hours 26 minutes 15 seconds
4. Juan Carlos Mosqueda (Mexico) 7 hours 28 minutes 55 seconds
5. Penny Lee Dean (USA) 7 hours 34 minutes 41 seconds
6. Nasser El Shazly (Egypt) 7 hours 46 minutes 49 seconds
7. Jorge Villegas (Mexico) 7 hours 55 minutes 5 seconds
8. Alwi Makki (Saudi Arabia) 8 hours 2 minutes 49 seconds
9. Marawan Saleh (Syria) 8 hours 9 minutes 53 seconds
10. Raul Villagomez (Mexico) 8 hours 10 minutes 12 seconds
11. Magdy Mandour (Egypt) 8 hours 14 minutes 24 seconds and Maher Saleh (Syria) 8 hours 14 minutes 24 seconds
13. Alberto Santiago (Argentina) 8 hours 24 minutes 41 seconds
14. Christine Cossette (Canada) 8 hours 42 minutes 15 seconds
15. Ossama Rachad (Egypt) 8 hours 53 minutes 29 seconds
16. Loreen Passfield (Canada) 8 hours 56 minutes 59 seconds
17. Mona Aly Hossen (Egypt) 8 hours 59 minutes 38 seconds
18. Joke Van Staveren (Netherlands) 9 hours 0 minutes 12 seconds
OTL Ibrahim Moustafa Feidalla (Egypt, 10h4m15s), Anwar Saleh (Saudi Arabia, 10h13m56s), Rémi Meunier (Canada 11h29m45s) DNF Carlos Aguirre Argentina, 8h01m), Luis Prado Medel (Mexico, 5h40m), James Barry (USA, 4h30m)
- Tanya Desnoyers Nurses A Dream
- Christine Cossette Goes Down Memory Lane On WOWSA Live
- Doug Northway, An Unexpected Triumph In The 1984 Traversée
- Christine Cossette, Elizabeth Fry Extend The Possible
- Robert Cossette Lived Heroically
- Swimming Closely Together Over Long, Long Distances
- International Marathon Swimming Hall of Fame
- Traversee Internationale du Lac St-Jean
- What's A Woman To Do In The Open Water?
- Wearing Make-up In The Open Water
- What Is It With Those Canadians?
- When Women Move Men And Mindsets
- L’aventure de l’eau libre
- Librairie Poirier
- First 24 Years Of Lac Memphrémagog Traversée
- World Open Water Swimming Association
- Open Water Swimming
- Daily News of Open Water Swimming
- Marathon Swimming
- Olympic 10 km marathon swimming
- World Professional Marathon Swimming Federation