Dr. Chris Lechner is a 56-year-old American hand surgeon, standup paddler and open water swimmer from Asheville, North Carolina. He has paddled solo 277 miles (446 km) along the French Broad River in North Carolina.
He attempted a solo, non-escorted 80-mile (128.7 km) open water swim across Lake Michigan with only a paddleboard, IOLITE and satellite phone. He was rescued close to his goal, just short of swimming from Racine Harbor in Wisconsin to Holland, Michigan as his GPS indicated that he had swum 95 cumulative miles.
Chris Lechner's Attempt Across Lake Michigan
- Adventures of Dr Lechner
- When Almost Is Good Enough
- Dr. Chris Lechner Swims Solo For 95 Miles
- Chris Lechner Explains His Adventure Across Lake Michigan
- World Open Water Swimming Association
- Open Water Swimming
- Olympic 10K Marathon Swim round-up
- Marathon Swimming
- Olympic 10K Marathon Swim
- Daily News of Open Water Swimming
- I Got Stung
- World Marathon Swimming Association
- Chris Lechner Swims Upstream, Against The Mighty Mo
- Chris Lechner Alone: A Swimmer's Journey
- Will Free Soloing Channel Swims Come About?