Canyon Lake is a reservoir in the state of Arizona. It is location of the second stage swim of the S.C.A.R. Swim Challenge and is located at 1,660 feet (505m). It is formed by the Mormon Flat Dam and is 380 feet long, 224 feet high and was built between 1923-25.
The dam is named after nearby Mormon Flat, a place where settlers from Utah stopped to camp. Canyon Lake, with a surface area of 950 acres (380 ha), is the smallest of four lakes created along the Salt River. It is within the Superstition Wilderness of Tonto National Forest and is a popular recreation area. Fish populating the lake include rainbow trout, large mouth bass, small mouth bass, yellow bass, crappie, sunfish, catfish and walleye. Wildlife in the area includes big horn sheep, deer and javelina that roam freely in this area of the national forest area. The swim begins at the buoy line below Horse Mesa dam and ends +/- 9 miles at the buoy line protecting the Mormon Flat dam.
S.C.A.R. Swim Challenge
In search of a unique open water swim challenge in Arizona, the four reservoirs on the Salt River provide that unique opportunity. If Jack Kerouac wrote a story about the Dharma Bums swimming from dam to dam across a series of lakes in the rugged desert wild, this may have been the inspiration. The brainchild of Mesa, Arizona attorney Kent Nicholas, S.C.A.R. stands for Saguaro, Canyon, Apache and Roosevelt lakes. It's "a bit of a rogue swim" because there were no permits, licenses, insurance, coast guard support, law enforcement approval, or any other "permission" sought from anyone. They hiked, boated, swam, laughed and swam again without letting the obstacles and hurdles of modern life prevent them from swimming more than 40 miles in a beautiful environment.
ENTRY FOR 2013
Wall Street Journal - June 2012
Kent Nicholas, a criminal lawyer, staged "a bit of a rogue swim" over four weekends in four lakes as part of his training regimen for the Manhattan Island Marathon Swim, which he completed in June in 8 hours, 8 minutes. He called it the Arizona SCAR Swim Challenge, for Saguaro, Canyon, Apache and Roosevelt lakes. At Lake Roosevelt, the group swam at night with glow sticks around their wrists and ankles "to make it more interesting." Nicholas intends to stage it again next year and make it a recognized event.
- Michael Rice, Ned Denison Discuss The SCAR Swim Challenge On WOWSA Live
- 2020 WOWSA Awards – World Open Water Swimming Man Of The Year Nominees
- Joe Zemaitis’ 2020 Season Culminates In Roosevelt 4.5
- Joe Zemaitis On Swimming Through A Second Night On WOWSA Live
- Open Water Swimmers Are Left With a S.C.A.R.
- Open Water Swimming
- S.C.A.R. Swim Challenge
- Marathon Swimming
- World Open Water Swimming Association
- Scarred For Life On A Starry, Starry Night In Arizona
- S.C.A.R. To Begin Tomorrow
- S.C.A.R.ed For Life, The Legacy Of Kent Nicholas
- Fast Times, Camaraderie On S.C.A.R. Swim Challenge Day 2
- Day One, Stage One At S.C.A.R. Swim Challenge
- Photography by Jeff Lewis
- Deep In The Desert, They Held Their Own Against The Wind
- Grace Van Der Byl Goes 3 For 3 After 17
- The End Of S.C.A.R. Signifies Its Beginning
- Ned Denison Is Swimming On Cloud Nine
- Brad Lundblad Overcomes Lyme, Completes 4-Day S.C.A.R.
- 4 Long Days, 4 Longer Swims For Kristin Jones
- Arizona S.C.A.R. Swim Challenge Facebook page
- Melodee Nugent Does Double Duty At SCAR
- S.C.A.R. Leaves Great Memories
- Going Rogue Goes International In Arizona
- Christine Cossette, Elizabeth Fry Extend The Possible
- S.C.A.R. Day One In Saguaro
- S.C.A.R. Swim Challenge
- How Men And Women Compare In Open Water Swimming
- Two-timing Success For Brad Lundblad
- Liz Fry, Role Model Exterordinaire
- Elizabeth Fry Blows The Minds Of Veterans
- Men And Women Couldn't Be Closer
- Lauren Grous Stepping It Up At S.C.A.R.
- Stefan Reinke Outduels Serbo Simeoni On SCAR Day 1
- S.C.A.R. Is Like Night And Day
- Jamie Ann Phillips Forges Into Lead In Apache Lake
- Reinke Hangs On, Jamie Ann Phillips Swimming Strong
- As Night Falls, So Does Men's Record. Jamie Ann Phillips Leads Way With Stefan Reinke
- Daring, Disappointment, Doubt And Discovery
- SCAR Swim Challenge Facebook page
- SCAR Swim Challenge, A Kent Nicholas Dream Realized
- Jessica Kieras Wins Day 2 Of S.C.A.R. Swim Challenge
- Fast Flyer Freestyles, Finishes First
- Keeping Pace At SCAR Swim Challenge
- S.C.A.R. Swim Challenge Breeds Toughness
- Sunset Starts SCAR
- Stunningly Spectacular! SCAR Swims
- SCAR Is On, The 4-Day Race Has Begun
- Jessica Kieras On Winning SCAR Swim Challenge