William (Bill) Shipp is a 57-year-old American open water swimmer and cancer survivor from Mitchellville, Maryland and the Terrapin Masters Swim Club. Shipp has been a competitive swimmer much of his life. He swam age group with the Solotar Swim Team and also swam for Herndon High School in Fairfax County, Virginia. He continued his competitive swimming career in college swimming for the George Washington University Colonials. He is a current masters swimmer registered with the Terrapin Masters team. He is also affiliated with the Arundel Breakfast Club (ABC Swimming) which is a group of fun loving yet dedicated open water swimmers who consider the Great Chesapeake Bay their home court open water event.
- He has achieved the Triple Crown of Open Water Swimming.
- He was named the 2015 NEKOWSA Swimmer of the Year.
- He was inducted in the inaugural Class of 2017 in the Vermont Open Water Swimming Hall of Fame.
Shipp is managing director of the law firm of O'Malley, Miles, Nylen & Gilmore, P.A. and currently resides in Maryland with his wife and two daughters.
Open Water Career
- Boston Light Swim - 8 miles in 2 hours 59 minutes (first) in 2014
- Swim Across the Sound - 25 km (15.5 miles) in 10 hours 13 minutes
- In Search of Memphre from Newport, Vermont, USA to Magog, Quebec, Canada - 25 miles - 2011 (attempt), 2012 (completed, second in 12 hours 38 minutes)
- he competed in the 4.4-mile Great Chesapeake Bay Swim multiple times
- he completed the 10-mile Kingdom Swim in Lake Memphremagog, Vermont in 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013.
- Potomac River Swim -2012 (second overall)
- he completed a double crossing of Chesapeake Bay - 2014 training swim from Sandy Point to Hemmingway's Beach. 8.8 miles official distance in 5 hours 3 minutes
- he competed in the World 10-mile Swimming Championships held in Lake Memphremagog, Vermont on 6 July 2013
- he first person to complete a double crossing at the Great Chesapeake Bay Swim on 7 June 2014 under the escort of CaptainEliot Powell
- he finished second overall at the 2015 15-mile (24.1 km) Border Buster marathon swim between Canada and the USA
- he completed a crossing of the English Channel from England to France on 19 September 2014.
- he completed a crossing of Catalina Channel from Santa Catalina Island to the Southern California mainland on 21 September 2015 in 11 hours 47 minutes.
- he completed in the 45.9 km Manhattan Island Marathon Swim on 1 August 2015
- he won the 15-mile Border Buster in 2014 in Lake Memphremagog.
- he served as a Border Buster escort pilot in 2015
- he was named the 2015 NEKOWSA Swimmer of the Year.
- he crewed for Sarah Thomas' 50-mile double crossing of Lake Memphremagog.
- he was a member member of the Arundel Breakfast Club.
- he was a member of the organizing committee for Northeast Kingdom Open Water Swimming Association.
- he won the 2016 15-mile (24.1 km) Border Buster in Lake Memphremagog, Vermont in 8 hours 18 minutes.
- On 5 August 2017, she competed in the 8-mile Boston Light Swim in Massachusetts.
- he finished second in the 25 Border Buster in Lake Memphremagog in 9 hours 0 minutes 36 seconds at the age of 58.
- he completed a crossing of Lake Tahoe on 12 August 2018 in 12 hours 55 minutes 25 seconds.
Marathon Swim Stories
- Shannon House Keegan Talks Marathon Swimming Stories
- Vermont Open Water Swimming Hall of Fame on WOWSA Live
- Vermont/ Open Water Swimming Hall Of Fame Class Of 2017
- Class of 2017
- Shipp To Shore...After 8 Miles In Boston Light Swim
- U.S. Masters Swimming bio
- On Golden Pond
- O'Malley, Miles, Nylen & Gilmore, P.A.
- Kingdom Swim
- Rob Madell Proves It Is Never Too Late
- WOWSA Battle: Brian Phillips vs. Eric Nilsson
- Emma Otto-Moudry Can WOW The Crowd
- Pure As White In Lake Memphremagog
- World Open Water Swimming Association
- Open Water Swimming
- Marathon Swimming
- International Marathon Swimming Hall of Fame
- I Got Stung
- Daily News of Open Water Swimming
- Shipp To Shore...Twice
- The Life And Times of Jim Doty
- Kingdom Swim Next Up
- Border Buster Is A Friendly Competition
- Swimming Among The Lights Of Boston
- Kingdom's Swimmers Of The Year
- News story on Mark Rew's 2015 plans to repeat his GCBS Mile swim - Pictured with Bill Shipp of ABC Swimming
- Yakking All Day
- Triple Crown of Open Water Swimming
- Shipp To Shore
- Shipp Fits The Bill: NEKOWSA Swimmer Of The Year
- Marathoning In Lake Memphremagog With Craig Dietz
- Oldies Are Goodies At The Kingdom Swim
- Craig Dietz Is 2016 NEKOWSA Swimmer of the Year
- The Clash Of The Titans At The Boston Light Swim
- Ned Denison Honored In Vermont
- The White Knight Honored In Vermont
- RDI Support Of The Kingdom Swim
- Have Fun, Do Good, Enjoy A Swim
- 2019 Memphremagog Winter Swim Festival Results