From OpenwaterpediaZports is an event management company established in 2007 by Mike Zoetmulder to engage, participate and manage activities and projects that support, promote, and advance sport in South Africa and more particularly in the Eastern Cape.
"Having spent several years overseas, I have witnessed how sport benefits each and every one of us. I believe that sport strengthens character and contributes to mental and physical well being. Most sports teach the lessons of teamwork, perseverance, patience and discipline. The inherent challenges promote self-confidence and self-esteem. By offering well management sports events to a wider general public, Zports seeks to bring these benefits to individuals and communities across the Eastern Cape.
Furthermore, Zports exists to encourage and facilitate excellence. We want to provide an avenue for athletes with the talent and desire to achieve their full potential. There are individuals for whom 'full potential' means competing with the best in the world. We must encourage these individuals because they are capable of a level of excellence that can inspire all members of our nation to fulfill their own potential.
We hope that by encouraging participation, personal challenge and the pursuit of excellence, we will foster healthier and happier individuals, stronger communities and a better country."
Zports is dedicated to the process of establishing Nelson Mandela Bay’s supremacy in water sports by being involved and/or owing the following events:
1. Ocean Racing Series – Africa’s largest family lifestyle beach event, owned by Zports
2. Nelson Mandela Bay Bell Buoy Challenge – An international 7km ocean swim in Algoa Bay, owned by Zports
3. Nelson Mandela Bay Surf Ski Classic – An international 26km surf ski race in Algoa Bay, owned by Zports
4. Ocean Racing Series – Africa’s largest family lifestyle beach event, owned by Zports
5. SPAR Redhouse River Mile – South Africa’s oldest open water swimming race, organised by Zports
6. Willows Challenge – Zports are involved in this awesome event.
7. Splash Festival – co-organisers of the Festival with Magnetic Storm and Frontier Events.
8. Triathlon Summer Series - The Eastern Cape's most popular triathlon series takes place over 3 race days in the December holidays and is hosted in Nelson Mandela Bay, Jeffreys Bay and Cape St Francis.