From OpenwaterpediaFoveaux Strait in New Zealand on 11 February 2013, swimming from Stewart Island to Bluff in 9 hours 20 minutes with a wetsuit.
 Foveaux Strait
Foveaux Strait (Māori: Te Ara a Kiwa) separates Stewart Island/Rakiura, New Zealand's third largest island, from the South Island. The strait is a rough and often treacherous stretch of water. The strait is about 130 km long (from Ruapuke Island to Little Solander Island), and it widens (from 14 km at Ruapuke Island to 50 km at Te Waewae Bay) and deepens (from 20 to 120 m) from east to west.
 Channel Swimming
Successful swimmers include:
1. John van Leeuwen, 7 February 1963 (Bluff to Stewart Island in 13:40 without wetsuit)
2. Meda McKenzie, 20 March 1979 (Bluff to Stewart Island in 14:00 without wetsuit)
3. Belinda Shields, 24 March 1984 (Bluff to Stewart Island in 9:53 without wetsuit)
4. Michael Quinlivan, 13 February 1985 (Bluff to Stewart Island in 9:41 without wetsuit)
5. Sandra Blewett, 11 February 1988 (Bluff to Stewart Island in 12:50 without wetsuit)
6. Todd Utteridge, 15 February 1989 (Bluff to Stewart Island in 8:40 without wetsuit)
7. Wayne Evans, 11 February 2013 (Stewart Island to Bluff in 9:20 with a wetsuit)