Ventura Deep Six
World Open Water Swimming Performance of the Year
Ventura Deep Six was selected as the 2010 World Open Water Swimming Performance of the Year by a global online poll conducted by the World Open Water Swimming Association for its outstanding world record relay swim of 202 miles (325K) along the rugged California coast during the coldest winter on record.
The dual nominees for the 2010 World Open Water Swimming Man of the Year and the 2010 World Open Water Swimming Performance of the Year were deserving winners for spending 101 hours and 39 minutes on the high seas constantly rotating in one-hour segments in a traditional English Channel relay format. Ball, Baron, Chung, McConica, Neitz and Shaffer overcame intense fog, cold water that got as low as 13°C (56°F), large ocean swells, tremendous chop for four straight days on end swimming among gigantic pods of playful dolphin and flesh-eating fish.
Their logistical planning included organizing an escort flotilla, anchored by a 135-foot mother ship that safely guided them in the open ocean.
Ventura Deep Six is a very special group of teammates from Ventura, California who were honored because they (1) embody the spirit of open water swimming, (2) possess the sense of adventure, tenacity and perseverance that open water swimmers are known for, and (3) demonstrated some of the most impressive open water swimming performances of the year.
The final vote tally was as follows:
1. Ventura Deep Six, Relay Swimmers (USA) 19.91% (2,183 votes)
2. Swim 22, Relay Swimmers (USA) 14.91% (1,635 votes)
3. Marcellus Wiley, Advocate (USA) 13.64% (1,496 votes)
4. Vojislav Mijic, Promoter/Organizer (Serbia) 7.29% (799 votes)
5. Jamie Patrick, Swimmer (USA) 6.99% (767 votes)
6. Marcelo Collet, Swimmer (Brazil) 5.57% (611 votes)
7. Spyridon Gianniotis, Antonios Fokaidis and Kalliope Araouzou, Swimmers (Greece) 5.33% (584 votes)
8. Miguel Vadillo, Swimmer (Mexico) 5.24% (575 votes)
9. Mexican American Unity Swim, Relay Swimmers (Mexico/USA) 3.77% (413 votes)
10. Alex Meyer, Swimmer (USA) 3.64% (399 votes)
11. John Van Wisse, Swimmer (Australia) 3.03% (332 votes)
12. Finy Fichera, Swimmer (Italy) 1.97% (216 votes)
13. Ian van der Hulst, Swimmer (Netherlands) 1.94% (213 votes)
14. Stephen Redmond, Swimmer (Ireland) 1.78% (195 votes)
15. Chloe McCardel, Swimmer (Australia) 1.7% (186 votes)
16. Philippe Croizon, Swimmer (France) 1.15% (126 votes)
17. Rachel Golub, Patricia Sener, Cristian Vergara, Swimmers (USA/Chile) 0.83% (91 votes)
18. Rob Dumouchel, Swimmer / Documentarist (USA) 0.46% (50 votes)
19. Lewis Pugh, Swimmer (Great Britain) 0.42% (46 votes)
20. Penny Palfrey, Swimmer (Australia) 0.39% (43 votes)
21. Damme-Brugge Race, Organizers (Belgium) 0.05% (5 votes)
Ventura Deep Six on Swimming World TV
Ventura Deep Six is interviewed before and after their world record setting swim by Swimming World TV: