From OpenwaterpediaCape Town, South Africa. He is also a highly successful extreme swimmer who specializes in cold-water swimming in South Africa with many world open water swimming records including a 7 hour 3 minute 27 km ocean swim from Llandudno Beach to Robben Island together with Martin Goodman. He is the King of Robben Island with 79 successful solo channel crossings from Robben Island and the mainland of South Africa and was named one of the 101 Movers And Shakers In The Open Water Swimming World by the Daily News of Open Water Swimming.
In My Element
He also wrote an autobiography called In My Element. After successfully swimming across the English Channel in 14 hours 25 minutes, completing the Robben Island to Cape Town crossing a record 64 times, and being the first person to swim around Robben Island from Cape Town and back in an 11-hour swim, In My Element is his inspirational story. Proceeds from the sale of the book will go to the National Sea Rescue Institute.
The book was nominated for the 2012 World Open Water Swimming Offering of the Year award.
Open Water Organisation
Yach is responsible for acquisitions at zenprop and the founding director at Cape Town CCID. He was previously the Chairperson of at Cape Town Central City Improvement District and the Director and Founding member at Cape Town Central City.
Yach helped to create the Cape Town Partnership and the Cape Town Central City Improvement District which were key players in reversing the decline of Cape Town’s CBD in the 1990s into the global model of excellence it is today. The unique partnerships he helped establish between business and the City has helped draw over R25bn of new investment into Cape Town. He received a Civic Award from the City of Cape Town in 2010 for this work.
Theodore is a trustee of the Mauerberger Foundation, which provides scholarships and educational support, and a director of Wesgro, the Western Cape’s official Destination Marketing, Investment and Trade Promotion Agency.
He is a past Chairperson of the Cape Town Heritage Trust (2007-2011) which restores heritage quality buildings in Central Cape Town, as well as past President of Highlands House Jewish Aged Home, of which he has been a Trustee since 2010.
Theodore Yach Extreme Swimming
- Theodore Yach on Open Water Wednesday
- Theodore Yach Bio
- Saving Private Rhino with Theodore Yach
- Open Water Swimming website
- Swimming In The Ocean Is My Ultimate Joy
- World Open Water Swimming Association
- 2012 World Open Water Swimming Offerings of the Year Nominations
- In My Element, Offering Of The Year Nominee
- Theodore Yach Does 69 And Plans More In Robben Island
- 72 Times And Counting
- Theodore Yach Making A Point About The Cape
- Swim4Charity From Hout Bay To Robben Island
- Theodore Yach Is 76 And Counting
- 3 Amigos Have A Real Adventure In The Open Water
- Samantha Cowen Struggles, Succeeds From Robben Island
- Where Theodore Yach Is Most Comfortable, Uncomfortable
- Obsession With Swimming In The Sea
- When Rhinoceros And Open Water Swimming Mix
- The Floating Tribe Around The Globle
- Tony Scalabrino Is Totally Onboard...His Spadavis
- Women versus Men In The Open Water World
- South African Swimmers Stand Tall For Maura Sanderoff
- Big Day Out On The Ocean (Atlantic Division)
- Big Day Out On The Ocean (Pacific Division)
- Llandudno Beach To Robben Island By Yach And Goodman