From Openwaterpediaopen water swimmer from France whose nickname is The Flying Frenchman. He started open water swimming in France with a few crossings of Lake Annecy (2.4km) and took on long distance swimming after studying in Cork City for a year in 2006-2007. His 16 hour 42 minute butterfly crossing of the English Channel was selected as the 2013 Male Solo Swim of the Year by the Marathon Swimmers Forum and nominated for the 2013 World Open Water Swimming Performance of the Year for the WOWSA Awards.
Other open water swims under his swim cap include Lake Zurich (26.4km, 2009), Irish Champion of Champions (9 miles, 2009), a 4-lap medley swim around Sandycove Island (4 miles, 2009) and a butterfly crossing of Auckland Harbour (2.9km, 2011).
He completed a 34 km channel crossing using only butterfly across the English Channel in September 2013 in 16 hours 42 minutes, described on his blog 'Sylle Swims'. This crossing was nominated for the 2013 World Open Water Swimming Performance of the Year.
More of Sylvain Estadieu's videos on Vimeo
- Sylvain's blog 'Sylle Swims'
- Article on the Daily News of Open Water Swimming website
- Sylvain on Twitter
- Hundar Utan Hem official website
- Sylvain Estadieu, Flying Where No Man Has Gone Before
- Triumphant Traversee De La Manche En Papillon
- List Of Butterfly Swims In The Open Water
- The Toughest, Gnarliest Open Water Swimmers Around
- World Open Water Swimming Association
- Sylvain Estadieu Flies Into History