Swim Across America
With the help of over 1,500 volunteers nationwide in the USA and nearly 5,000 swimmers including past and current Olympians, SAA has raised over US$41 million to help find a cure for cancer through athleticism, community outreach and direct service.
Since 1987 SAA has grown to hold dozens of events all over the country, each with its own distinct personality. From San Francisco to Boston Harbor, Swim Across America began as a grassroots organization with events developing organically. Now, those events raise hundreds of thousands of dollars - and money raised is still given to local beneficiaries which happen to be some of the best in the world.
The SAA community is made up of swimmers, friends, parents, sons and daughters, teachers, coaches and the well - meaning. Many of our most loyal supporters aren't swimmers, but honor family and friends by donating, volunteering, or by helping us raise money in our continued effort to find a cure.
Its board members include Kerry Anderson, Robert Coakley, Bill Hicks, Scot Mackie, Brenda Nagle, Gerry Oakes, Jack Salerno, Kevin Shine, Richard Tompkins, Evan Vosburgh, Matt Vossler and Burt Zweigenhaft. Its Executive Director is Janel Jorgensen McArdle with Blake Chanowski as its Vice President of Operations at and Kathleen Foley as its Program Manager.
1. California - San Francisco Bay Open Water Swim on 29 September 2012
2. California - Swim Across America Long Beach on 23 September 2012
3. Connecticut - Stamford Open Water Swim on 30 June 2012
4. Florida - Tampa Bay Open Water Swim on 5 May 2012
5. Florida - Ozzie's Swim to Fight Cancer on 25 February 2012
6. Illinois - Chicago Open Water Swim on 4 August 2012
7. Massachusetts - Nantasket Beach Swim on 14 July 2012
8. Massachusetts - Boston Harbor Swim on 13 July 2012
9. Massachusetts - Boston Team Relay Challenge on 21 April 2012
10. Maryland - Raider's Rally Against Cancer on 14 January 2012
11. Maryland - Baltimore Open Water Swim on 23 September 2012
12. Maryland - Baltimore Pool Swim on 23 September 2012
13. North Carolina - Swimming the Distance for a Cancer Cure on 20 May 2012
14. New Jersey - Holmdel Pool Swim on 30 January 2012
15. New York - Saxon Woods Pool Swim
16. New York - Westchester Country Club Pool Swim
17. New York - Brookville Pool Swim
18. New York - Hamptons Open Water Swim on 7 July 2012
19. New York - Hempstead Pool Swim
20. New York - Jericho High School Pool Swim
21. New York - LIAC Pool Swim
22. New York - Lynbrook Pool Swim
23. New York - Plandome Pool Swim
24. New York - Rockville Pool Swim
25. New York - Sound to Cove Open Water Swim on 11 August 2012
26. New York - Swordfish Beach Club
27. New York - New York Athletic Club Pool Swim
28. New York - Chappaqua S&T Club Pool Swim
29. New York - Germonds Clarkstown Pool Swim
30. New York - Coveleigh Club Pool Swim
31. New York - Lake Isle Pool Swim on 4 August 2012
32. New York - Long Island Sound Open Water Swim on 28 July 2012
33. New York - Lakeside Pool Swim on 22 July 2012
34. New York - Orienta Beach Club Pool Swim on 21 July 2012
35. Rhode Island - Rhode Island Open Water Swim on 8 September 2012
36. Tennessee - Nashville Open Water Swim on 18 August 2012
37. Texas - Dallas Open Water Swim 9 June 2012
38. Virginia - Making Waves for Cancer Pool Swim on 29 January 2012
39. Washington - Seattle Open Water Swim on 8 September 2012
40. Wyoming - Dolphins Pool Swim
Swim Across America is dedicated to raising money and awareness for cancer research, prevention and treatment through swimming related events. With the help of hundreds of volunteers nationwide and past and current Olympians, SAA is helping find a cure for cancer through athleticism, community outreach and direct service.
Founded in 1987, Swim Across America is a non-profit organization dedicated to raising money and awareness for cancer research, prevention and treatment through a variety of swim-related fundraising events.
Despite losing one of his legs to cancer, SAA Co-founder Jeff Keith started the organization in 1987 with a single open water even in Nantucket, Massachusetts, U.S.A.
SAA has raised over $40 million and has grown to hold dozens of events across the country.
The Swim Across America Laboratory at Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center (New York), The Swim Across America Laboratory at the Cardinal Bernardin Cancer Center (Illinois), the Swim Across America Lab at Johns Hopkins (Maryland), Alliance for Cancer Gene Therapy (Connecticut), Columbia Presbyterian Children's Hospital (New York), Dana Farber Cancer Institute [Perini Quality of Life Clinic] (Massachusetts), Mercy Medical Center (New York), Cancer Support Team (New York), The Children's Hospital at Montefiore (New York), Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory (New York), Fighting Chance (New York), University of California San Francisco Benioff Children's Hospital (California), Children's Hospital Oakland Research Institute (California), Seattle Cancer Care Alliance (Washington), Women & Infants (Rhode Island), Rush Cancer Center (Illinois), Baylor Charles A. Sammons Cancer Center (Texas).
SAA Swimmers range in age from 6 to 74 and include recreational swimmers, masters swimmers, competitive swimmers and Olympians. Families and friends often swim together or in honor of a loved one, for fun, to train, or just to make a difference.
SAA has attracted the involvement of many Olympic swimmers including Michael Phelps, Craig Beardsley, Rowdy Gaines, Steve Lundquist, Chris Jacobs, Kim Linehan, Jill Sterkel, Summer Sanders, Leah Loveless, Geoff Gaberino, Sippy Woodhead, Janel Jorgensen, Chris Cavanaugh, Teresa Andrews, Jenny Thompson, Jeff Rouse and Ben Wildman-Tobriner.
One International Place, Suite 4600 Boston, MA 02110, U.S.A.
Website [www.swimacrossamerica.org www.swimacrossamerica.org]
Telephone +1 888.SWIM.USA
- Swim Across America, Inc. Official Website
- Open Water Swimming
- A Two-fer Swim Across America
- GoSwim Across America
- GoSwim Across America
- Wall Street Journal on Swim Across America: A 'Kinder, Gentler' Fundraiser
- Open To Swim Across America
- Kitty Tetreault Gently, Firmly Pushing Onshore And On Deck
- Tampa Bay Makes Waves To Fight Cancer
- Marathon Swimming
- Swimming Across America
- Mosharraf Khan Represents Bangladesh Around The World
- The $1.3 Million Swim - Long Island Sound Open Water Swim
- Raising Green In Greenwich