Arizona Open Water Swim Series
Saguaro Lake is also a site for the Arizona Open Water Swim Series, an open water swim series organized by DCB Adventures that includes 1000m, 2000m, 4000m and 5000m lake swims in Arizona including Saguaro Lake, Tempe Town Lake, Pleasant Harbor Marina and Lake Pleasant.
S.C.A.R. Swim Challenge
Saguaro is also site of the S.C.A.R. Swim Challenge. The S.C.A.R. Swim Challenge is a 4-day stage swim in Arizona in the Saguaro Lake, Canyon Lake, Apache Lake, and Roosevelt Lake organized by Kent Nicholas.
In Saguaro, the first stage swim is a 9.5-mile (15.2 km) swim at 1529-feet (466m) elevation, which is rimmed with canyon walls. The lake is home to large-mouth bass weighing 12 pounds, small-mouth bass, rainbow trout, walleye, black crappie, tallapia, yellow perch, and carp weighing as much as 30 pounds. It is within the Superstition Wilderness of the Tonto National Forest. It was formed by the Stewart Mountain Dam, a concrete thin arch dam located 41 miles northeast of Phoenix, Arizona. The dam is 1,260 feet (380 m) long, 208 feet (63 m) high, and was built between 1928-30. It was named after a ranch that used to be located nearby known as the Old Stewart Ranch. The swim begins at the east end of Saguaro Lake – the base of Mormon Flat Dam below the Mormon Flat Heliport. The swim ends at the buoy line guarding the Stewart Mountain dam.
ENTRY FOR 2013
Wall Street Journal - June 2012
Kent Nicholas, a criminal lawyer, staged "a bit of a rogue swim" over four weekends in four lakes as part of his training regimen for the Manhattan Island Marathon Swim, which he completed in June in 8 hours, 8 minutes. He called it the Arizona SCAR Swim Challenge, for Saguaro, Canyon, Apache and Roosevelt lakes. At Lake Roosevelt, the group swam at night with glow sticks around their wrists and ankles "to make it more interesting." Nicholas intends to stage it again next year and make it a recognized event.
- Saguaro Lake
- Open Water Swimmers Are Left With a S.C.A.R.
- Open Water Swimming
- S.C.A.R. Swim Challenge
- DCB Adventures
- Arizona Open Water Series website
- Marathon Swimming
- Open Water Swimming
- Daily News of Open Water Swimming
- International Marathon Swimming Hall of Fame
- World Open Water Swimming Association
- Arizona Open Water Swims website
- Scarred For Life On A Starry, Starry Night In Arizona
- S.C.A.R. To Begin Tomorrow
- Better East Than West
- S.C.A.R.ed For Life, The Legacy Of Kent Nicholas
- Fast Times, Camaraderie On S.C.A.R. Swim Challenge Day 2
- Day One, Stage One At S.C.A.R. Swim Challenge
- Deep In The Desert, They Held Their Own Against The Wind
- Grace Van Der Byl Goes 3 For 3 After 17
- The End Of S.C.A.R. Signifies Its Beginning
- Ned Denison Is Swimming On Cloud Nine