Hans Wilsdorf, a founder of the Rolex watch company, launched the Rolex Oyster in 1926 and asked Gleitze to wear the waterproof Rolex on her well-publicized vindication swim as proof of the reliability of the watch. Gleitz later provided a testimonial of the Oyster.
Gleitze Testimonial to Wilsdorf
You will like to hear that the Rolex Oyster watch I carried on my Channel swim proved itself a reliable and accurate timekeeping companion even though it was subjected to complete immersion for hours in sea water at a temp of not more than 58 and often as low as 51. This is to say nothing about the sustained buffeting it must have received. . . . The newspaper man was astonished and I, of course, am delighted with it.
- Her Swim Made Rolex Famous
- The History And Future Of The North Channel
- Open Water Swimming
- What A Swimmer, What A Woman, Mercedes Gleitze
- Mercedes Gleitze bio
- International Marathon Swimming Hall of Fame Class of 2013
- Hall of Fame Honors Pioneering Mercedes Gleitz
- The Media Waves Of Open Water Swimming
- WOWSA, IMSHOF Heads To Cork, Ireland
- Mercedes: The Spirit Of The Age Age Premieres In Ireland
- Rose Pitonof Honored By The Hall Of Fame
- Mercedes Gleitze Honoured In Cork, Ireland
- Sea Swimming Is A Beautiful Thing