From Openwaterpediaopen water swimmer, coach and administrator. He has completed ten marathon swims of 16 miles (25 km) or more. These include the English Channel, the Catalina Channel and the Manhattan Island Marathon Swim as a member of the Triple Crown of Open Water Swimming and the Half Century Club. He also completed the 65.9 km Round Jersey, 26 km Jersey to France crossing, 26.4 km Lake Zurich Marathon Swim, the 19.2 km Rottnest Channel Swim, and was the first to swim around Valentia Island (27 km) and Great (Cobh) Island (26 km) in Ireland. He also swam around Robben Island in Cape Town, South Africa (11 km, Inisbofin (11km), Lake Champlain (13km), Rathlin Island (10 km), Cork City to Cobh (16km km) three times, Blackrock to Cobh (13km), completed the S.C.A.R. Swim Challenge of 4 marathon swims in 4 days (62 km), Garryvoe around Ballycotton and into Ballycotton Pier (11 km), Strait of Gibraltar (14.4 km in 3 hours 33 minutes on 24 July 2013) and River Lee Dam to County Hall (12.5 km) twice. In 2006, he crossed the Santa Barbara Channel between Santa Cruz Island and the California mainland in a record time of 10 hours 27 minutes. His 8 km swim around Cape Point tied the record time. He also became the fifth person in history to cross False Bay on 30 December 2012 from Rooi Els to Miller's point in 11 hours 5 minutes under the guidance of pilot Arend Grondman.
Denison’s early aquatic years were spent as a seven-time All-American water polo goalie with teams in New York City, Berkeley, California and London, England.
Denison was inducted on the Queen Mary in Long Beach, California at the annual International Marathon Swimming Hall of Fame ceremonies as a member of the Class of 2012 as an Honour Administrator. He also received the Irving Davids-Captain Roger Wheeler Memorial Award from the International Swimming Hall of Fame in the Class of 2013 where was honoured in Cork, Ireland at the annual International Marathon Swimming Hall of Fame ceremonies. He serves on the International Marathon Swimming Hall of Fame Board of Directors.
Denison was also one of the recipients of the Poseidon Award from the International Swimming Hall of Fame together with Oswald Schmidt, Paschal Horgan, Captain Tom McCarthy, Ciaran O'Connor, and Finbarr Hedderman as part of the Global Open Water Swimming Conference Cork 2013 organisation committee.
His 9 marathon swims during 2013 were collectively nominated for the 2013 World Open Water Swimming Performance of the Year. The collective efforts of the organizing committee for the 2013 Global Open Water Swimming Conference which Denison played a key role, is nominated for the 2013 World Open Water Swimming Offering of the Year.
Santa Barbara Channel Swimming Association
A founding member of the Santa Barbara Channel Swimming Association (2006 and on Board until 2012). Commenting on his Santa Barbara Channel swim: "I was absolutely taken in by the city and hosted in fine fashion by the other Board members, kayakers and three Honourees of the IMSHOF: Alison and Freda Streeter and David Yudovin. On the day the sun was fantastic and the playful seals and majestic manta rays were the best aquatic life I have ever seen on a swim."
Cork Distance Week
Denison helps organise several of the longer swim in Ireland and leads the annual Cork Distance Week, which draws more than 50 swimmers. He is an excellent contact (email@example.com) for American swimmers looking to Europe.
Denison's Cork Distance Week was nominated for the 2012 World Open Water Swimming Offering of the Year award. Its World Open Water Swimming Association nomination reads, "A tiny part of the world – Sandycove Island in Ireland – has become a must-do and must-see in the channel swimming world. Sandycove plays host to the Cork Distance Week, the absolutely most brutal, the most unforgiving, the downright dastardly difficult open water swimming camp in the world. Led by a mountain of a man who has pushed himself to the brink, the Cork Distance Week has a tremendous record of channel swimming success. Offered for an unbelievable reasonable price in elements that can be completely and thoroughly unreasonable, the Cork Distance Week prepares all-comers for anything and everything in the open water. For its 8-day high mileage of intense preparation, for its unyielding psychological and physiological stress that it offers, for its unequaled record of success, the Cork Distance Week by Ned Denison is a worthy nominee for the 2012 WOWSA Open Water Swimming Offering of the Year."
- Are You Tough Enough For The Body Brain Confusion Swim?
- In Search of Memphre
- International Marathon Swimming Hall of Fame
- Distance Swim Camp
- Open Water Swimming Safety Discussed In Global Conference
- How To Be Safe In The Open Water
- On Golden Pond
- Triple Crown of Open Water Swimming
- International Marathon Swimming Hall of Fame Class of 2013
- Ned Denison Honored Again By Hall Of Fame
- World Open Water Swimming Association
- 2012 World Open Water Swimming Offerings of the Year Nominations
- Cork Distance Week, Offering Of The Year Nominee
- Swimmers Caught Out Of The Water
- Crowned In Cork, Good Things Come In Threes
- The Best Eggbeater In The Business
- 100 x 100 @ 100, A Sandycove Island Rite Of Passage
- Great Whites vs. Great Irish, No Falsehood In The Bay
- Ned Denison Will Be Sweating It In False Bay
- Ned Denison Faces The Truth In False Bay
- Swimming Safely With Thoughts Of Sharks
- Parenting In The Open Water - Part 1
- Solitary No Long, Swimming Around Skellig Michael
- 30 Open Water Swimmers Known By One Name
- WOWSA, IMSHOF Heads To Cork, Ireland
- Shhhhh...Don't Tell Anyone About The Prison Break
- Eliminating The Fear Of Sharks In The Open Water
- Why Make A Fist In The Open Water?
- S.C.A.R. To Begin Tomorrow
- Fearsome, Ferocious, Fickle Farallones Awaits The Irish
- Ned Denison's Ice Mile
- S.C.A.R.'ed But Still Standing Tall At The Hall of Fame
- Is North-to-South Easier Than South-to-North?
- Ned Denison Represents Cork, Ireland, Open Water World
- Slots Still Open For the World 10-Mile Championships
- No False Moves. Dramatic Visualization of Shark Encounters
- Publicizing Heroes And Heroines Of Open Water Swimming
- World Professional Marathon Swimming Federation
- The Perfect Female Open Water Swimmer
- The Perfect Male Open Water Swimmer
- Swimming Around The San Juan Islands
- The Clubhouse On Lake Memphremagog
- People Open Water Swimmers Look Up To
- Camping With Ned Denison And Jamie Patrick
- Stephen Redmond Headlines Global Open Water Conference
- One False Move By Ned Denison Across The Bay
- Jim McConica Sets The Standard From Santa Cruz
- Dreamers Are Driven
- The Fields Of Athenry Sung Proudly And Loudly
- The Run-up To The Poseidon Award Was An Adventure
- Sea Swimming Is A Beautiful Thing
- Marcus Connaughton Interviews Ned Denison
- The Heart Of Lions
- Oswald Schmidt Led A Grand Ceremony In Cork
- 2013 World Open Water Swimming Offering Of The Year Nominees
- Ned Denison Is Swimming On Cloud Nine
- What're The Odds Of Ned Denison: One In Several Hundreds
- It Is The Little Things That Are Valuable