Robert Roper, whose nickname is Napa Bob, is an American pool and open water swimmer from San Francisco. He is the namesake of the Bob Roper Golden Gate Bridge Swim, a 2-mile swim under the Golden Gate Bridge at the entrance of the San Francisco Bay in northern California.
He is a retired San Francisco Police Department Officer who has been rowing in the San Francisco Bay for over 40 years who is renowned for helping open water swimmers in San Francisco Bay. He is also a co-founder of the Maui Channel Swim and holder of the unofficial world record to cross the Golden Gate Bridge (17:21).
Anything worth doing is worth overdoing.
- Online Registration for the Bob Roper Golden Gate Swim
- Bob Roper in Photos
- An Alcatraz Island Celebration Of 1000 Times
- Sarah Thomas Does It Over And Over Again
- 2013 World Open Water Swimming Woman Of The Year Nominees
- Kathie Hewko Plans On A 100th Crossing In 2016
- Maui Channel Swim
- The Vision And Early History Of The Maui Channel Swim
- World Open Water Swimming Association