Northeast Kingdom Open Water Swimming Association
NEKOWSA organizes a 4-mile open water swim to be held in Lake Willoughby, a beautiful glacier lake, in August. NEKOWSA also organizes a 6-mile Son of a Swim in June and the 1-, 3- and 10-mile Kingdom Swims in July as well as the Even Up Aquaman Triathlon (3.5-mile swim + 35-mile bike + 13.1-mile run) in Lake Salem or Lake Seymour in August.
Swim The Kingdom
Swim The Kingdom is an open water swimming competition organized in the state of Vermont by Phil White of the Northeast Kingdom Open Water Swimming Association (NEKOWSA). The event consists of 7 open water swims in 9 days in Lake Memphremagog.
2014 NEKOWSA Schedule
- 6th Annual Son of a Swim: 2, 4, 6-mile swims in Lake Memphremagog on 14 June
- 6th Annual Kingdom Swim: 100 yard, ¼, 1, 3, 6, 10-mile swims on 12 July on Lake Memphremagog
- 4th Annual Seymour Swim: 1.75, 3.5-mile swim on 2 August
- Swim the Kingdom Week on 9 - 17 August that includes the 4-mile Crystal Swim on 9 August, 4-mile Island Pond Swim on 10 August, 6.2-mile Green River Reservoir on 11 August, 6.2-mile Lake Seymour on 12 August, 9-mile Lake Massawippi on 13 August, 6.2-mile Lake Memphremagog on 14 August, the 5th Annual 5-mile Willoughby Swim on 16 August, the 1.5- and 3-mile Caspian Swim on 17 August
- 25-mile In Search of Memphre IV on 16 September
- 15-mile Georgeville or Bust on 4 October
2013 Swim The Kingdom Schedule
August 10th: Crystal Swim, a 4-mile open water swim under the cliffs and around the shores
August 11th: Island Pond Swim, 3-mile open water swim from Brighton State Park Beach around The Island
August 13th: Seymour Swim, a 3.5-mile open water swimming double loop
August 14th: Massawippi, a 4-mile open water swim starting and ending at Ayres Cliff, Quebec
August 15th: Memphremagog, a 4-mile open water swim in Derby, around Black, Belle, and Cove Islands
August 17th: Willoughby Swim, a 5-mile majestic open water swim
August 18th: Caspian Swim, a 3-mile open water swim to Bathtub Rock and back or 1.5 miles to The Rock
NEKOWSA and Indoor Recreation Orleans County (IROC) offers the following schedule of five open water swims in 2012:
June 16, 2012 – Son of a Swim IV -- Prouty Beach, Lake Memphremagog, Newport, Vermont. An informal qualifying swim for those who need to complete a 2, 4, or 6 mile open water swim before fully qualifying for Kingdom Swim. Numbers are limited to no more than 25 swimmers. Website is www.kingdomswim.org.
July 7, 2012 – Kingdom Swim IV – Prouty Beach, Lake Memphremagog, Newport, Vermont. 10 mile, 6 mile, 3 mile and 1 mile courses for adults and youth with shorter courses for youth only. A true celebration of open water swimming in the heart of the summer in the heart of the Kingdom. It is held in conjunction with Kingdom Aquafest. Numbers are limited to 75 swimmers on each course and no more than 100 youth entrants in all courses. This swim is conducted as a fund raiser for Indoor Recreation Orleans County. Lake Memphremagog has been selected as one of the 50 great open water swimming venues in all of the Americas by the Daily News of Open Water Swimming. Kingdom Swim has been selected as the venue of the 2013 USMS 9+ Mile Open Water Swimming Championship. Website is www.kingdomswim.org.
August 4, 2012 – Seymour Swim II – Lake Seymour, Morgan, Vermont. A 3.5 mile swim in a pristine, spring fed lake. This is held in conjunction with Kingdom Triathlon and its Aquaman Even Up series. While buoys are in place and the support boats are out on the lake, swimmers might as well enjoy them, skip the other legs, and start their after party early. Numbers are limited to 50 swimmers. Website is www.kingdomswim.org.
August 18, 2012 – Willoughby Swim III – Lake Willoughby, Westmore, Vermont. A 4.75 mile swim on one of the most majestic and cleanest lakes in the Americas. Lake Willoughby has been selected as one of the 50 great open water swimming venues in all of the Americas by the Daily News of Open Water Swimming. Numbers are limited to 50 swimmers. Website is www.kingdomswim.org.
September 8, 2012 – In Search of Memphre II – Lake Memphremagog from Vermont to Quebec – An epic 25 mile, cold water swim the length of Lake Memphremagog between Newport, Vermont, USA and Magog, Quebec, Canada. This is an amateur, invitational only swim limited to no more than 10 swimmers. The mission of this expedition is to support a more open border with Canada, to search for our beloved and mysterious lake creature, Memphre, and to raise funds for Indoor Recreation Orleans County. Website is www.insearchofmemphre.com.
NEKOSA joins the following organizations in the global open water swimming community in an intriguing collection of acronyms with common goals and missions:
JIOWSA (Japan International Open Water Swimming Association)
USOWSA (United States Open Water Swimming Association)
DOWSSA (Dubai Open Water Swimming Sports Association)
VOWSA (Vancouver Open Water Swimming Association)
IOWSA (International Open Water Swimming Association)
WOWSA (World Open Water Swimming Association)
SOWSA (Stage Open Water Swimming Association)
These open water swimming associations have numerous advantages in the endurance sports world: (1) their event locations are scenic and natural - oceans, lakes, bays, rivers. (2) The challenge and enjoyment of swimming from start to finish in an open body of water is tangible. (3) For some, the autonomy of swimming with hundreds or thousands of swimmers is often less stressful and more enjoyable than standing up on a starting block alone in a pool. (4) The sport embodies camaraderie, being both collegial and competitive at the same time.
- Northeast Kingdom Open Water Swimming Association
- Open Water Swimming website
- Willoughby III In The Northeast Kingdom
- Who Is Phil White And What Is NEKOWSA?
- On Golden Pond
- Swimming In The Open Water Swimming Kingdom
- Happy Yacker Week 2013
- Haiku To My Kayaker
- Haiku To Yacker
- Ode To My Yacker
- To Kingdom Come They Swim
- Slots Still Open For the World 10-Mile Championships
- Establishing A Governing Body In Open Water Swimming
- Rob Madell Proves It Is Never Too Late
- WOWSA Battle: Brian Phillips vs. Eric Nilsson
- Emma Otto-Moudry Can WOW The Crowd
- Pure As White In Lake Memphremagog
- Eric Nilsson, Kristin Jones Win 10-Mile World Championship
- Champion's Reflections, Kristin Jones On The Kingdom
- Paula Yankauskas Feeling Comfortable In Her Own Skin
- An Adventurous Day Between Open Water Swims
- The Clubhouse On Lake Memphremagog
- Guri Bosch Takes Canine Division
- Paula Yankauskas Is 2013 NEKOWSA Swimmer Of The Year
- Northeast Kingdom Open Water Swimming 2014 Schedule
- Two Men, Two Maidens, And A Monster In Memphremagog
- Sarah Thomas, A Double-Crosser
- Sarah Thomas Double-Crosser Twice Over
- Bethany Bosch Boldly Swims In Search Of Memphre
- Blue On Blue Separated By Green
- Clubhous On The Shores Of Memphremagog
- Open Water Swimming - Keys To Success
- Open Water Swimming - Drafting Keys To Success
- Swim Under The Clouds
- Phil White Takes Law Into The Open Water