Phelps' Olympic medal total is second only to the 18 Soviet gymnast Larisa Latynina won over three Olympics, including nine gold. Phelps also holds the all-time record for most gold Olympic medals, at 14, as well as the record for most gold medals in individual events, at nine.
Phelps's international titles and record-breaking performances have earned him the World Swimmer of the Year Award 6 times and American Swimmer of the Year Award 8 times. He has won a total of 66 medals in major international competition spanning the Olympics, the World Championships, and the Pan Pacific Swimming Championships. He was Sports Illustrated magazine's Sportsman of the Year award in 2008.
After the 2008 Beijing Olympics, Phelps started the Michael Phelps Foundation, which focuses on growing the sport of swimming and promoting healthier lifestyles, and help support Swim Across America including BREAKOWT open water swimming training sessions. He was selected as the FINA Athlete of the Year in 2012.
- Why Michael Phelps Could Be A Great Open Water Swimmer
- Swimming Like a Dolphin
- Michael Phelps Facebook page
- Michael Phelps website
- The Joy of Victory in the Pool and Open Water
- No Way, No How. Not Me, Not Now
- No Michael in the Open Water in 2012
- A Really Special Olympian, Michael Phelps
- Swim Are Golden In Baltimore
- Michael Phelps Putting Around The Open Water
- Open Water Swimming
- Outstanding Swimming TV Commercials
- 2012 FINA Athletes of the Year
- The Most Interesting Man In The Open Water World
- Michael Phelps To Make A Huge Splash In The Open Water