The athletes were preparing for a 25-kilometer pro marathon swimming race.
1895–1900; allusion to Pheidippides' 26-mi. (42-km) run from MARATHON to Athens to carry news of the Greek victory over the Persians in 490 b.c.] + [Origin: bef. 1000; ME; OE swimmende (adj.)]
A marathon run is defined as 26.2 miles or 42.195 km, but the definition of a marathon swim varies greatly. A marathon swim is defined by FINA 10 kilometers (6.2 miles) in length with the Olympic 10K Marathon Swim as its most visible race. Other examples around the world include the Atlantic City Around-the-Island Marathon Swim is 37 kilometers (22.5 miles), Tampa Bay Marathon Swim is 38.6 kilometers (24 miles), Manhattan Island Marathon Swim is 46 kilometers (28.5 miles), Maratona del Golfo Capri-Napoli in Italy is 36 kilometers, Maraton Acuatica Internacional Santa Fe - Coronda in Argentina is 57 kilometers, Sumidero Canyon Swimming Marathon in Mexico is 15 kilometers, Maratón Acuática Internactional Ciudad de Rosario in Argentina is 15 kilometers, La Patagones Viedma in Argentina is 15 kilometers, Ohrid Lake Swim Marathon in Macedonia is 30 kilometers, Varna-Galata Swimming Marathon is 4 kilometers, International Self-Transcendence Marathon Swim is 26.4 kilometers, PT109 Commemorative Swim Marathon is a 5 kilometer swim in the Solomon Islands.
According to Ted Erikson, in the 1960's, 16 kilometers (10 miles) was referred to as a marathon swim because of the relative times involved for completion. Wikipedia refers to marathon swimming as 10 kilometers in distance, referring to the FINA definition.
International Marathon Swimming Hall of Fame inductee Timothy Johnson describes a slew of marathon swims of various lengths in his authoritative book, History of Open-Water Marathon Swimming. Conrad Wennerberg also provides a rich description of marathon swims in his book, Wind, Waves and Sunburn: A Brief History of Marathon Swimming. The Canadian Encyclopedia defines marathon swimming as swimming in an open body of water for distances in excess of 1500 meters. The Encyclopedia of New Zealand defines marathon swims as longer than 10 kilometers. The World Professional Marathon Swimming Federation was formed in 1963 by professional marathon swimmers; its shortest swim was 16 kilometers in length. Sports Illustrated has written about marathon swimming over the years. In one article, the magazine described one marathon swim by Diana Nyad as 10 miles in length. The International Marathon Swimming Hall of Fame defines marathon swimming as 25 kilometers.
A 10-kilometer swim done by a world-class swimmer is comparable in time to a marathon run done by world-class marathon runners.
The marathon run distance was standardized in 1921 after various distances had been debated since the 1st century AD. Swimmers are hopeful the marathon swimming community will come to an agreement in a shorter time frame than its running counterparts.
Marathon Swimming Events
In addition to the English Channel, North Channel, Catalina Channel, Molokai Channel, Tsugaru Channel, Cook Strait, Strait of Gibraltar and other channel swims, marathon swims (e.g., 31.5 miles (51 km) in Lake Ontario), or circumnavigations worldwide, below is a representative (but not exhaustive) list of marathon swimming competitions that are held annually around the world, compiled by Open Water Source:
Marathon Swims Around The World
These marathon swimming events around the world are listed by distance (including some major solo swim attempts across channels):
1. 193 km (120 miles): 8 Bridges Hudson River Swim in New York, U.S.A. (7-day stage swim)
2. 88 km (54.6 miles): Maratón Internacional Hernandarias – Paraná in Argentina
3. 81 km (50.3 miles): India National Open Long Distance Swimming Championship in West Bengal, India
4. 70 km (43.5 miles): Vuelta a nado Isla de Ibiza in Ibiza, Spain (5-day stage swim)
5. 62 km (38.4 miles): Swimming Marathon of the Messinian Gulf two-way race in Greece
6. 60 km (37.2 miles): Open Water Swimming Marathon Kalamata in the Messiniakos Gulf in South Peloponnesus, Greece
7. 57.9 km (36 miles): END-WET in North Dakota, U.S.A.
8. 57 km (35.4 miles): Maratón Acuático Rio Coronda (or Maratón Acuática Internacional Santa Fe - Coronda) in Argentina
9. 45.8 km (28.5 miles): Manhattan Island Marathon Swim in New York, U.S.A.
10. 45.25 km (28 miles): Ka'iwi Channel Swim between Molokai and Oahu, Hawaii, U.S.A.
11. 40.2 km (25 miles): In Search of Memphre in Vermont, U.S.A.
12. 38.6 km (24 miles): Tampa Bay Marathon Swim in Florida, U.S.A.
13. 36 km (22.3 miles): Maratona del Golfo Capri-Napoli in Italy
14. 35 km (21.7 miles): Salish Sea Swim in Vancouver, Canada
15. 34 km (21.2 miles): Traversée Internationale du lac Memphrémagog in Quebec, Canada
16. 33.7 km (21 miles): British Long Distance Swimming Association Two-way Windermere in Windermere, England
17. 33.7 km (21 miles): British Long Distance Swimming Association in Loch Lomond in Scotland
18. 33.7 km (21 miles): English Channel from England to France
19. 33.7 km (21 miles): North Channel between Scotland and Ireland
20. 32.5 km (20.2 miles): Catalina Channel in California
21. 32.1 km (20 miles): P2P Swim from Plymouth to Provincetown across the Massachusetts Bay, U.S.A.
22. 32.2 km (19.9 miles): International Bangla Marathon Swim in Bay of Bengal, Bangladesh
23. 32 km (19.8 miles): Traversée Internationale du lac St-Jean in Quebec, Canada
24. 31.8 km (19.8 miles): 8 Bridges Hudson River Swim - Stage 5 in New York, U.S.A.
25. 31.8 km (19.8 miles): 8 Bridges Hudson River Swim - Stage 2 in New York, U.S.A.
26. 31 km (19.2 miles): Swimming Marathon of the Messinian Gulf in Greece
27. 30.83 km (19.15 miles): Ultramarató de l'Ebre 30830 Swim Marathon in Amposta, Catalonia, Spain
28. 30.5 km (19 miles): All India Sea Swimming Competition in India
29. 30 km (18.6 miles): Ohrid Lake Swimming Marathon in Macedonia
30. 30 km (18.6 miles): Giants of the Bay Race in Victoria, Australia
31. 30 km (18.6 miles): Open Water Swimming Marathon Kalamata in the Messiniakos Gulf in South Peloponnesus, Greece
32. 29.4 km (18.3 miles): 8 Bridges Hudson River Swim - Stage 1 in New York, U.S.A.
33. 29.1 km (18.1 miles: 8 Bridges Hudson River Swim - Stage 7 in New York, U.S.A.
34. 29 km (18 miles): Cook Strait between North Island and South Island, New Zealand
35. 28.1 km (17.5 miles): Ederle Swim from New York to New Jersey, U.S.A.
36. 28 km (17.3 miles): Palmy Manly Swim from North Palm Beach in Sydney to Manly’s Shelly Beach in Australia
37. 27.3 km (17 miles): Rose Pitonof Swim in New York, U.S.A.
38. 27.3 km (17 miles): S.C.A.R. Swim Challenge in Apache Lake, Arizona, U.S.A.
39. 27 km (16.7 miles): La Batalla De Rande A Nado in San Simon, Spain
40. 26.5 km (16.4 miles): International Self-Transcendence Marathon in Lake Zurich, Switzerland
41. 26 km (16.1 miles): International Swimming Marathon of Toroneos Gulf in Nikiti, Greece
42. 26 km (16.1 miles): Swim of Peace Ouma - Djerba in Djerba Island, Tunisia
43. 25.7 km (16 miles): Boston Light Double across Boston Harbor, Massachusetts, U.S.A>
44. 25.2 km (15.7 miles): 8 Bridges Hudson River Swim - Stage 6 in New York, U.S.A.
45. 25 km (15.5 miles): U.S. Masters Swimming 25K National Championships
46. 25 km (15.5 miles): Cruce del Puerto Rosario in Rosario, Argentina
47. 25 km (15.5 miles): St. Vincent's Foundation Swim Across the Sound from Connecticut to New York, U.S.A.
48. 25 km (15.5 miles): Villa Urquiza – Paraná in Paraná, Argentina
49. 25 km (15.5 miles): FINA World Swimming Championships 25 km
50. 25 km (15.5 miles): LEN European Open Water Swimming Championships 25 km
51. 25 km (15.5 miles): Pensacola Bridge Swim in Florida, U.S.A.
52. 25 km (15.5 miles): Toroneos Gulf Swim in Greece
53. 25 km (15.5 miles): German Open Water Swimming Championships in Rostock, Germany
54. 25 km (15.5 miles): Cabrera Challenge in Mallorca, Spain
55. 25 km (15.5 miles): Munster Open Water Championships in Inniscarra Reservoir, Cork, Ireland
56. 25 km (15.5 miles): Port Oriel Ultra 25k Swim in Carlingford, Irish Sea
57. 24.4 km (15.2 miles): 8 Bridges Hudson River Swim - Stage 4 in New York, U.S.A.
58. 24.3 km (15.1 miles): Cape Circumnavigation Challenge around Cape May, New Jersey, U.S.A.
59. 24.1 km (15 miles): Georgeville or Bust in Lake Memphremagog, Vermont, U.S.A.
60. 24.1 km (15 miles): Border Buster in Lake Memphremagog, Vermont, U.S.A.
61. 24 km (14.9 miles): St. Petersburg to Kotlin Island in Russia
62. 24 km (14.9 miles): Travessia 14 Bis in Brazil
63. 22.3 km (13.8 miles): Illes Formigues - Illes Medes in Spain
64. 22 km (13.6 miles): Ijseelmeerzwemmarathon in the Netherlands
65. 22 km (13.6 miles): Reto Acapulco in Acapulco Bay, Mexico
66. 21.2 km (13.2 miles): 8 Bridges Hudson River Swim - Stage 3 in New York, U.S.A.
67. 21 km (13 miles): International Marathon Swimming Beltquerung from Denmark to Germany
68. 21 km (13 miles): Travesia En Aguas Abiertas Por la Ruta de Olaya in Lima, Peru
69. 21 km (13 miles): Vidösternsimmet in Vidöstern, Sweden
70. 20.2 km (12.6 miles): Distance Swim Challenge in California, U.S.A.
71. 20.1 km (12.5 miles): Swim Around Key West in Florida, U.S.A.
72. 20.1 km (12.5 miles): FKCC Swim Around Key West in Florida, U.S.A.
73. 20 km (12.4 miles): Lake Argyle Swim in Lake Argyle in Western Australia
74. 20 km (12.4 miles): River Long Distance Swimming Competition from Chandan Nagar Rani Ghat to Sreerampur (India)
75. 20 km (12.4 miles): Río Grande Coronda along the Río Coronda in Argentina
76. 19.7 km (12.2 miles): Rottnest Channel Swim (Rotto Solo) in Perth, Australia
77. 19.5 km (12.1 miles): Tsugaru Channel between Honshu and Hokkaido, Japan
78. 19.3 km (12 miles): Swim Around Charleston in South Carolina, U.S.A.
79. 19.3 km (12 miles): That Dam Swim in Alabama, U.S.A.
80. 19.3 km (12 miles): Lake Travis Relay Solo in Texas, U.S.A.
81. 19 km (11.8 miles): River Long Distance Swimming Murshidabad Swimming Association in India
82. 19 km (11.8 miles): Medunarodni Plivački Maraton (Jarak-Šabac Marathon Swim) in Serbia
83. 18.8 km (11.7 miles): RiverFest Endurance Swim in Oregon, U.S.A.
84. 18.5 km (11.2 miles): BCT Gdynia Marathon in Gdynia, Poland
85. 18 km (11.1 miles): Fiji Swims in Fiji
86. 17.7 km (11 miles): Portland Bridge Swim in Oregon, U.S.A.
87. 17.7 km (11 miles): Myrtle Huddleston Honorary Swim in California, U.S.A.
88. 17.2 km (10.7 miles): Portland Bridge Swim in Oregon, U.S.A.
89. 17 km (10.5 miles): ILDSA & Swim Ireland National 17k Championships in Lough Erne, Ireland
90. 17 km (10.5 miles): British Long Distance Swimming Association in Windermere, England
91. 16.2 km (10 miles): La Jolla Cove 10 Mile Relay & Solo Swim in La Jolla, California, U.S.A.
92. 16.2 km (10 miles): Kingdom Swim in Lake Memphremagog, Vermont, U.S.A.
93. 16.2 km (10 miles): Deer Creek Open Water Marathon Swim in Charleston, Utah, U.S.A.
94. 16.2 km (10 miles): U.S. Masters Swimming 9+ mile National Championships in Lake Minnetonka, Minnesota, U.S.A.
95. 16.2 km (10 miles): Swim the Suck in Tennessee River Gorge, Tennessee, U.S.A.
96. 16.2 km (10 miles): International Bangla Marathon Swim in Bay of Bengal, Bangladesh
97. 16.2 km (10 miles): Colin's Hope Got2Swim Lake Austin 10K & 10 miler in Texas, U.S.A.
98. 16.2 km (10 miles): To the Bridge & Back in the Upper James River, Virginia, U.S.A.
99. 16 km (9.9 miles): Faros Maratón from Hvar Island to Stari Grad, Croatia
100. 16 km (9.9 miles): Faros Challenge from Hvar Island to Stari Grad, Croatia
101. 16 km (9.9 miles): Lake Trichonida Crossing in Greece
102. 16 km (9.9 miles): Swimming Peace Marathon from Greece to Turkey
103. 16 km (9.9 miles): Cork to Cobh Charity Swim in Cork, Ireland
104. 15.2 km (9.5 miles): S.C.A.R. Swim Challenge in Saguaro Lake, Arizona, U.S.A.
105. 15 km (9.3 miles): Irish Long Distance Swimming Association Challenge Swim in Lough Sheelin in Cavan, Ireland
106. 15 km (9.3 miles): Távúszást rendezünk Paks-Kalocsa from Paks to Kalocsa in Bács-Kiskun, Hungary
107. 15 km (9.3 miles): Travessia Mar Grande Salvador in Brazil
108. 15 km (9.3 miles): Maratón Acuática Internactional Ciudad de Rosario in Rosario, Argentina
109. 15 km (9.3 miles): Saint Martin Island Long Distance Channel Swimming in Bangladesh
110. 15 km (9.3 miles): FINA Open Water Swimming Grand Prix in Cozumel, Mexico
111. 15 km (9.2 miles): Travesia la Bocaina from Lanzarote to Fuerteventura in the Canary Islands
112. 14.5 km (9 miles): North Evoikos Swim in Greece
113. 14.4 km (9 miles): S.C.A.R. Swim Challenge in Canyon Lake, Arizona, U.S.A.
114. 14.4 km (9 miles): Massawippi Swim in Quebec, Canada
115. 14.4 km (9 miles): Swim Ocean City in Maryland, U.S.A.
116. 14.1 km (8.7 miles): Henley Swim Bridge to Bridge on Henley-on-Thames, England
117. 14 km (8.6 miles): National Ganga River Long Distance Swimming Competition in Patna / Bihar (India)
118. 13.1 km (8.2 miles): Pennock Island Challenge in Alaska, U.S.A.
119. 13.1 km (8.2 miles): Swim for Freedom on Geneva Lake, Wisconsin, U.S.A.
120. 13 km (8.12 miles): Great Salt Lake Marathon Swim in Utah, U.S.A.
121. 13 km (8.12 miles): Frances Thornton Memorial Galway Bay Swim in Ireland
122. 12.87 km (8 miles): Boston Light Swim across Boston Harbor in Massachusetts, U.S.A.
123. 12.87 km (8 miles): YMCA & MVP Annual Lake Swim in Vermont, U.S.A.
124. 12.87 km (8 miles): Kirkton of Balmerino Championship in River Tay Estuary, Scotland
125. 12.8 km (8 miles): Islamorada around the Alligator Lighthouse in Islamorada, Florida, U.S.A.
126. 12.5 km (7.76 miles): Loch Ard Swim Festival in Loch Ard, Scotland
127. 12.07 km (7.5 miles): Potomac River 7.5 Mile Swim for the Environment in Maryland, U.S.A.
128. 12 km (7.4 miles): National Ganga River Long Distance Swimming Championship in Patna / Bihar (India)
129. 12 km (7.4 miles): Cala Montgó marathon swim in Cala Montgó, Spain
130. 11.8 km (7.3 miles): Skaha Lake Ultra Swim in British Columbia, Canada
131. 11.2 km (7 miles): Bear Lake Open Water Swim in Utah, U.S.A.
132. 11.2 km (7 miles): The Clock Is Ticking Seven Mile Swim in Georgia. U.S.A.
133. 11.2 km (7 miles): Bloody Big Swim in Melbourne, Australia
134. 11.1 km (6.9 miles): Maliakos Gulf Swim in Greece
135. 11 km (6.9 miles): Amvrakikos Gulf Swim in Greece
136. 11 km (6.9 miles(: Big Richard in Newport Beach, California, U.S.A.
137. 11 km (6.9 miles): Manly Wharf Bridge to Beach in Sydney, Australia
138. 11 km (6.9 miles): Gozo-Malta Open Water Channel Swim in Malta
139. 11 km (6.9 miles): Bannerman’s Island Return in New York, U.S.A.
140. 11 km (6.9 miles): Reto Acapulco in [[Acapulco Bay, Mexico
141. 10.5 km (6.5 miles): Trofeo a nu oto per 2 Golfi in Palermo, Italy
142. 10.4 km (6.5 miles): Loch Earn Championship in Scotland
143. 10.2 km (6.3 miles): Little Red Lighthouse Swim in New York, U.S.A.
144. 10 km (6.2 miles): San Francisco Bay 10K Bridge-to-Bridge Swim in San Francisco Bay, California, U.S.A.
145. 10 km (6.2 miles): Swim Across America Long Beach in Marine Stadium, Long Beach in California, U.S.A.
146. 10 km (6.2 miles): Nike Swim Miami in Miami, Florida, U.S.A.
147. 10 km (6.2 miles): Diamond Lake Open Water Challenge in Minnesota, U.S.A.
148. 10 km (6.2 miles): Pensacola Three-Mile Bridge Swim in Pensacola, Florida
149. 10 km (6.2 miles): USA Swimming National Open Water Swimming Championships in Ft. Myers, Florida, U.S.A.
150. 10 km (6.2 miles): Lake Del Valle Open Water Swim in Lake Del Valle, California, U.S.A.
151. 10 km (6.2 miles): Fire Island Ocean Swims in New York, U.S.A.
152. 10 km (6.2 miles): Sound to Cove Open Water Swim in New York, U.S.A.
153. 10 km (6.2 miles): Change Your Latitude in Alaska, U.S.A>
154. 10 km (6.2 miles): Swim to the Moon in Michigan, U.S.A.
155. 10 km (6.2 miles): Horsetooth Open Water Swim in Horsetooth Reservoir, Colorado, U.S.A.
156. 10 km (6.2 miles): Lake George Open Water Swim in Lake George, New York, U.S.A.
157. 10 km (6.2 miles): Cast Classic in Idaho, U.S.A.
158. 10 km (6.2 miles): Coney Island Aquarium Triple Dip Swim in Coney Island, New York, U.S.A.
159. 10 km (6.2 miles): Flat River Reservoir Champions Challenge in Rhode Island, U.S.A.
160. 10 km (6.2 miles): Escape From Skidaway in Georgia, U.S.A.
161. 10 km (6.2 miles): FINA 10km Marathon Swimming World Cup in Santos, Brazil
162. 10 km (6.2 miles): FINA 10km Marathon Swimming World Cup in Patagones-Viedma, Argentina
163. 10 km (6.2 miles): FINA 10km Marathon Swimming World Cup in Eliat, Israel
164. 10 km (6.2 miles): FINA 10km Marathon Swimming World Cup in Cancun, Mexico
165. 10 km (6.2 miles): FINA 10km Marathon Swimming World Cup in lac St-Jean, Roberval, Canada
166. 10 km (6.2 miles): FINA 10km Marathon Swimming World Cup in Lac Mégantic, Quebec, Canada
167. 10 km (6.2 miles): FINA 10km Marathon Swimming World Cup in Hong Kong
168. 10 km (6.2 miles): FINA 10km Marathon Swimming World Cup in Xinjin River, Shantou, China
169. 10 km (6.2 miles): Bale of Tortugas in Lake Conroe, Texas
170. 10 km (6.2 miles): Lough Gill 10K in Sligo, Ireland
171. 10 km (6.2 miles): Camlough Lake 10K in Camlough, Ireland
172. 10 km (6.2 miles): Human Race Eton Swim in Eton, England
173. 10 km (6.2 miles): City Beach Swim in Western Australia
174. 10 km (6.2 miles): Champion Lakes Swim in Western Australia
175. 10 km (6.2 miles): Western Australia Open Water Swim Series (Sorrento Swim) in Western Australia
176. 10 km (6.2 miles): Bridge-to-Bridge in San Francisco, California, U.S.A.
177. 10 km (6.2 miles): Hellenic Championship 5 & 10 Km in Greece
178. 10 km (6.2 miles): U.S. Masters Swimming National 10km Open Water Swimming Championships in Lake Mead, California, U.S.A.
179. 10 km (6.2 miles): MAXIFUEL Nutrition Open Water Swim Challenge (Bray) in England
180. 10 km (6.2 miles): Secbands EPA Swim Challenge Series in East Cape, South Africa
181. 10 km (6.2 miles): Metro South West Open Water Championships in New South Wales, Australia
182. 10 km (6.2 miles): Berry Rickards in New South Wales, Australia
183. 10 km (6.2 miles): NSW Open Water Championships in New South Wales, Australia
184. 10 km (6.2 miles): Narranderra SC in Australia
185. 10 km (6.2 miles): King Of The Rivers in the Netherlands
186. 10 km (6.2 miles): BHP Billiton Aquatic Super Series Open Water Challenge in Perth, Australia
187. 10 km (6.2 miles): South Head Roughwater Swim in Sydney, Australia
188. 10 km (6.2 miles): Canadian Open Water Swimming Championships in Canada
189. 10 km (6.2 miles): Asian Beach Games in various countries (Haiyang, China in 2012)
190. 10 km (6.2 miles): Bali Ocean Swim in Kuta Beach, Bali, Indonesia
191. 10 km (6.2 miles): Japan Open in Tateyama, Chiba, Japan
192. 10 km (6.2 miles): Ganga River Long Distance Swimming Competition in Bihar, India
193. 10 km (6.2 miles): European Open Water Swimming Championships in various countries
194. 10 km (6.2 miles): River Hoogly Competition in Nava Sanghe, Bhatpara Bazar (India)
195. 10 km (6.2 miles): River Long Distance Swimming Championship in Palpara, Chandan Nagar, Hoogly (India)
196. 10 km (6.2 miles): Fiji Ocean Swim Festival on Plantation Island, Mamunuca Islands in Fiji
197. 10 km (6.2 miles): Fiji Pearls Swim in Savusavu, Fiji
198. 10 km (6.2 miles): Mana Fiji Swim Fest in Fiji
199. 10 km (6.2 miles): Split Open in Split, Croatia
200. 10 km (6.2 miles): Munster Open Water Championships in Cork, Ireland
201. 10 km (6.2 miles): Lord & Lady of the Lake in Camlough, Ireland
202. 10 km (6.2 miles): Bray to Greystones (Wicklow) Sea Swim in Ireland
203. 10 km (6.2 miles): Japan Open in Tateyama, Japan
204. 10 km (6.2 miles): MaxiFuel Big South Swim Challenge in River Thames, England
205. 10 km (6.2 miles): S.C.A.R. Swim Challenge in Roosevelt Lake, Arizona, U.S.A.
206. 10 km (6.2 miles): First National Kimberly Lake Argyle Swim in Lake Argyle, Western Australia
207. 10 km (6.2 miles): Bay Challenge in English Bay, Vancouver, Canada
208. 10 km (6.2 miles): Lock Eck in Scotland
209. 10 km (6.2 miles): Pismo Polar Bear 10k Swim in Pismo Beach, California, U.S.A.
210. 10 km (6.2 miles): Utterly Buttermere Swim Sportive in Cumbria, U.K.
211. 10 km (6.2 miles): Long Island Sound Open Water Swim in Long Island, New York, U.S.A.
212. 10 km (6.2 miles): Flowers Sea Swim 10 km in Grand Cayman Island, Cayman Islands
213. 10 km (6.2 miles): Southern Oregon Open Water Swims at Applegate Lake, Jacksonville, Oregon
214. 10 km (6.2 miles): Ali'i Challenge in Kailua, Hawaii
215. 10 km (6.2 miles): West Wyoming Marathon Swim in Wyoming, U.S.A.
216. 10 km (6.2 miles): Canada Games 10K in Prince Edward Island, Canada
217. 10 km (6.2 miles): Welland Canal Under the 4 Bridges Swim in Ontario, Canada
218. 10 km (6.2 miles): Polish Open Water Swimming National Championship in Kryspinów, Poland
219. 10 km (6.2 miles): Big Deben Swim in Deben, United Kingdom
220. 10 km (6.2 miles): MARNATON eDreams Garraf - Sitges in Spain
221. 10 km (6.2 miles): Bonaire EcoSwim in Bonaire, Netherland Antilles
222. 10 km (6.2 miles): Willebroek Open Belgian Championships in Willebroek, Belgium
223. 10 km (6.2 miles): Por La Libre Cancún to Isla Mujeres (El Cruce) in Cancún, Mexico
224. 10 km (6.2 miles): Internationale Open Water Wedstrijden Willebroek in Willebroek, Belgium
225. 10 km (6.2 miles): Ter rede van Hoorn in Ijsselmeer at Hoorn, the Netherlands
226. 10 km (6.2 miles): South American Beach Games (Primeros Juegos Suramericanos de Playa) in South America
227. 10 km (6.2 miles): Western Australia Open Water Swim Series in Champion Lake, Western Australia
228. 10 km (6.2 miles): Bermuda Round the Sound Swim in Bermuda
229. 10 km (6.2 miles): Flat River Reservoir Champions Challenge in Rhode Island, U.S.A.
230. 10 km (6.2 miles): Sunday Tribune Capital 10K in South Africa
231. 10 km (6.2 miles): Green River Reservoir Swim in Vermont, U.S.A.
232. 10 km (6.2 miles): Seymour Swim in Vermont, U.S.A.
233. 10 km (6.2 miles): Great Wicklow 10 km Swim in Wicklow, Ireland
234. 10 km (6.2 miles): Midmar Mile Challenge in Midmar Dam, South Africa
235. 10 km (6.2 miles): Time Freight Heia Safari 1000 – leg 2 at Heia Safari Ranch, South Africa
236. 10 km (6.2 miles): Kumejima Open Water Swim on Kumejima Island, Okinawa, Japan
237. 10 km (6.2 miles): Cyprus International Swimming Marathon in Limassol, Cyprus
238. 10 km (6.2 miles): Crippen Cup 10k Marathon Invitational in Fort Myers, Florida, U.S.A.
239. 10 km (6.2 miles): Kumejima Open Water Swim Race in Kumejima, Japan
240. 10 km (6.2 miles): Loch Ard Swim Festival in Scotland
2013 Traversée Internationale du Lac Memphrémagog
Maratón Acuática Internacional Santa Fe - Coronda
Šabac Swim Marathon
Tsugaru Channel Crossing
Video of Brad McVetta crossing the Tsugaru Channel courtesy of Masayuki Moriya of Ocean-navi and the Tsugaru Channel Swimming Association
Video of North Channel Swim
Driven, A Documentary of Marathon Swimming
Long distance swimming, Marathon swimming, Ultra marathon swimming, long distance swim, Ultra long distance swimming, Open water swimming, Ultra marathon swimming, open water swimming, rough water swimming, channel swimming, long distance swimming, channel swims
- Olympic Marathon Swims For Amateurs Of All Abilities
- The Unique Challenge Of Open Water Swimming
- List of Marathon Swims
- Open Water Swimming
- Daily News of Open Water Swimming
- World Open Water Swimming Association
- International Marathon Swimming Hall of Fame
- Marathon Swimming
- What Is A Marathon Swim?
- Do Marathon Runs Compare To Marathon Swims?
- Longest Marathon Swims In The World
- What is The Defined Distance Of A Marathon Swim?
- How Many Channel Swimmers Are There In The World?
- Travessia 14 Bis Held Today
- Open Water Swimming Bucket Lists
- It Takes All Kinds Of Aquatic Athletes
- How Many Marathon Swimmers Are There In The World?
- Five Or More Gets On Rottnest Channel Swim Honour Board
- Triathletes Are From Mars, Open Water Swimmers From Venus
- How To Feed On $30 Per Day In The Open Water
- Alper Sunaçoğlu Goes Far And Dreams Big
- How To Make An Inexpensive But Effective Feeding Stick
- Top 10 Things To Fear In The Open Water
- Dangerous Creatures For Open Water Swimmers
- Being With Bengals, Terrifying Tigers In The Tank
- Jon Erikson's Thoughts 3 Decades Later On The 3-way
- Michael Jordan Joins The Half Century Club
- Look Behind And Below You In The Open Water
- Is Open Water Swimming An Endurance Sport?
- Butterfly Swim Rules In The Open Water
- Backstroke Swim Rules In The Open Water
- Breaststroke Swim Rules In The Open Water
- Circle Tour In New Jersey - Cape Circumnavigation Challenge
- All For One And One For All Across The Molokai Channel
- It's Marathon Swim In Ireland
- Badges Of Honour In Open Water Swimming
- Marathon Swimming Is A Global Phenomena
- Misinformation And Myths In The Open Water
- Doug McConnell Digs Deep vs. A Zillion Little Barbs
- Eliminating The Fear Of Sharks In The Open Water
- Finishing A Marathon Swim Barefoot And Barrel-Chested]
- How Do You Pee And Poop During An Open Water Swim?
- BCT Gdynia Marathon Recalls The 1960's And 1970's
- Tampa Bay Marathon Swim website
- 30 Open Water Swimmers Known By One Name
- Tampa Bay Makes Waves To Fight Cancer
- World Open Water Swimming Association
- List Of Marathon Swims Around The World
- Doug McConnell Digs Deep vs. A Zillion Little Barbs
- Distance Matters In Tampa Bay
- The Incredible History Of The Peace Swim (Plivački maraton Jarak-Šabac)
- Coffee And Caffeine Controlled By World Anti-Doping Agency
- Mount Everest vs. The English Channel _ Which Is More Difficult?
- Difficulty vs. Risk - Two Different Perspectives On The Oceans Seven
- Seven Summits vs. Oceans Seven - Which Is More Difficult?
- Mount Everest, The English Channel Of Mountaineering
- Growth On Terra Firma Mirrors That Of The Open Water
- Differences Between Men And Women In The Open Water
- What Is The Correct Call In The Open Water?
- The Most Interesting Man In The Open Water World
- Swim Of Peach Ouma - Djerba In Tunisia
- Swims Of Peace From Sahara To Arctic Circle
- Bert Thomas, Strait And Tough As A Marine
- Grace Van Der Byl Goes 3 For 3 After 17
- The Dark Shadows Of Neoprene In The Open Water World
- Billy O'Connor Crosses Where There's A Big Expanse Of Water
- Why Open Water Swimming Is Like American Airlines
- Luci Can Help Across The Tsugaru Channel
- An Exercise In Open Water Swimming Democracy
- Eddie Spelling Brings Channel Swimming To The Home
- Chocolate Indulgence In A Coffee Cup
- The Feeling Of Finishing, From Fatigue To Felicity
- Eric Nilsson, Kristin Jones Win 10-Mile World Championship
- Champion's Reflections, Kristin Jones On The Kingdom
- A Champion's Reflection, Eric Nilsson On The Kingdom
- Swimming Before The Crack Of Dawn
- World Professional Marathon Swimming Federation
- I Got Stung
- Marathon Swimmers Accept Risks Outside The Open Water
- Emily von Jentzen Getting Ready For The Unprecedented
- Finishing Up Against The Wall
- Driven - The Marathon Swimming Documentary To Premier
- Swim There, Paddle Back After The Clean Half
- Fun Is Only Half Of It
- Swimming And Storytelling To Inspire The Next Generation
- Swimming Past The Wall At The Clean Half
- Change Is Constant In Horsetooth Open Water Swim
- On Safari, Do A Marathon Swim
- Está Bien...A 4-Wide Across The Strait Of Gibraltar
- The New Crippen Cup 10k Marathon Invitational
- Penny Dean Pens Open Water Swimming Memoirs
- Landmarks, Monuments And Memorials Of Open Water Swimmers
- 50 Things Open Water Swimmer Should Not Do
- 100 Things Every Open Water Swimmer Should Know
- Para Rehe Onáva…Río Paraná Like The Sea
- The 1-2-3s of Open Water Swimming
- Chloë McCardel Swims Through The Blackout
- Kevin Murphy Versus The North Channel In His Own Words
- Most Difficult Swims In The World - Southern Hemisphere
- Most Difficult Swims In The World - Northern Hemisphere
- Top 25 Terms In Openwaterpedia
- Open Water Swimmers Who Dream Big
- The Great Lake Swim - The Window Of Opportunity
- Priority Sports Meets Anne Marie Ward
- Anthony McCarley Taking It To Another Level
- Learn What Drives Annaleise Carr
- Learn What Drives Annaleise Carr
- Cashing In On Swimming To The Bridge & Back
- The Perfect Open Water Swimming Venue
- Irish Long Distance Swimming Association Events Calendar
- Women versus Men In The Open Water World
- 2016 Olympic 10K Marathon Swim Qualification Process
- Marathon Swimmers Federation To Test Stinger Suits
- James Kegley's Amazing Aquatic Adventure
- Craig Lenning Has The Right Stuff After 47 Years
- Gotta Good Feeling About The Farallons
- Big Day Out On The Ocean (Atlantic Division)
- Big Day Out On The Ocean (Pacific Division)
- 4.4 nm To Go For Craig Lenning
- So Far, So Good For Craig Lenning
- Craig Lenning's 15 Hours 46 Minutes Ends 47-Year Hiatus
- When Technology Meets Channel Swimming
- Mohamed Marouf Sets The Standard In Lake Zurich
- Patti Bauernfeind Set The Standard In Lake Zürich
- Jon Erikson's Remarkable 12-Year Career
- Assisted Or Unassisted? Marathon Swimmers To Decide