London 10km Marathon Swimming International
From OpenwaterpediaOlympic 10K Marathon Swim in anticipation of the 2012 London Olympics. LOCOG called for the athletes' feedback on all aspects of the organization and competition.
The event took place in the Serpentine Lake in Hyde Park in central London on August 13th.
The water temperature was a comfortable 19.5°C (67°F) with nearly glassy flat conditions.
The public watched world-class swimmers including over 10 world championship and Olympic medalists at the London 10km Marathon Swimming International in Hyde Park as part of the 'London Prepares Series' and Test Event for the 2012 London Olympics. The celebrated athletes include German Thomas Lurz, Greek Spyridon Gianniotis, Italian Martina Grimaldi and Greek Marianna Lymperta. Other contenders include Alex Meyer of the USA, Angela Maurer of German, and Melissa Gorman and Ky Hurst of Australia.
Some of the best viewing was available - for free - from the north side of the Serpentine. Watch 38 competitors go head-to-head and shoulder-to-shoulder around a 6-loop 1.67K course.
The FINA President Dr. Julio C. Maglione said, "FINA is extremely pleased to organize, in co-operation with the London Organising Committee of the Olympic and Paralympic Games, the Marathon Swimming Test Event, in the beautiful Hyde Park lake. I am sure that all swimmers, coaches and officials will enjoy very much this event, and will be able to collect the best possible information for an optimal organisation of the Olympic 10km Marathon Swimming event, next year in London. I would like to express our gratitude to the International Olympic Committee and London Organising Committee of the Olympic and Paralympic Games and ensure FINA's full collaboration in the future, namely in the Olympic preparation of our remain aquatic disciplines: swimming, diving, water polo and synchronised swimming."
David Luckes, Head of Sport Competition at London Organising Committee of the Olympic and Paralympic Games explained, "The London 10km Marathon Swimming International will be used to test the Marathon Swimming course in Hyde Park as well as many of London Organising Committee of the Olympic and Paralympic Games's operations. We are delighted to be able to run such an event with a high level of international athletes and look forward to giving the puhttp://www.openwaterpedia.com/index.php?title=London_10km_Marathon_Swimming_Invitational&action=edit&redlink=1blic an opportunity to witness world class sport for free this weekend."
List of Competitors
The tactics that the male and female Olympic 10K swimmers use a year from now may - or may not - be on display at the The London 10km Marathon Swimming International. What is going through the heads of these athletes as they give the course in the Serpentine a test? The race will be interesting for everyone involved - the top athletes, organizers, media and fans, but one hero, Keri-Anne Payne, is obviously missing.
1. Martina Grimaldi (ITA): 2:02:49.5
2. Eva Fabian (USA): 2:02.50.0
3. Poliana Okimoto (BRA): 2:02:51.2
4. Christine Jennings (USA) +1.9 seconds
5. Ana Marcela Cunha (BRA) +2.3 seconds
6. Melissa Gorman (AUS) +6.8 seconds
7. Jana Pechanova (CZE) +6.9 seconds
8. Yanqiao Fang (CHN) +11.9 seconds
9. Angela Maurer (GER) +12.7 seconds
10. Xue Li (CHN) +15.2 seconds
11. Wing Yung Natasha Tang (CHN)
12. Linsy Heister (NED)
13. Swann Oberson (SUI)
14. Kalliopi Araouzou (GRE)
15. Marianna Lymperta (GRE)
16. Lucy Charles (HKG)
17. Fiona On Yi Chan (HKG)
18. Rachael Williamson (GBR)
Ashley Twichell (USA) DNS
1. Richard Weinberger (CAN) - 1:50.49.8
2. Thomas Lurz (GER) - 1:51.16.0 - 26.2 seconds behind winner
3. Spyros Gianniotis (GRE) - 1:51.16.1; +26.3
4. Luca Ferretti (ITA) - 1:51.18.8; +29
5. Andreas Waschburger (GER) - 1:51.32.6; +42.8
6. Csaba Gercsak (HUN) - 1:51.43.7: +53.9
7. Alex Meyer (USA) - 1:52.19.5; 1:29.7
8. Ky Hurst (AUS) - 1:52.20.1; +1:30.3
9. Chris Bryan (IRL) - 1:52.24.5; +1:34.7
10. Yury Kudinov (KAZ) - 1:52.29.0; +1:39.2
11. Antonis Fokaidis (GRE) - 1:53.16.1; +2:26.3
12. Zibin Zhang (CHN) - 1:53.21.1; +2:31.3
13. Julien Sauvage (FRA) - 1:57.17.5: +6:27.7
14. Arsenly Lavrentyev (POR) - 1:58.23.5; +7:33.7
15. Tin Yu Ling (HKG) - 2:07.45.8; +16:56.0
16. Marcus Yat Ho Yuen (HKG) - 2:08.17.0; +17:27.2