Little Diomede Island has a population of 135. The entirety of the island is in the city of Diomede, also known by its native name Inalik. The island is not part of any organized borough, so some services are provided directly by the state.
Little Diomede received international exposure when it was the staring point of Lynne Cox's solo open water swim to Big Diomede. It was also featured in the television travel series Full Circle with Michael Palin, in which he sets off from Little Diomede on a year-round excursion to the countries encircling the Pacific Ocean. Little Diomede was also featured on Discovery Channel's series Flying Wild Alaska.
- The Who's Who Of Extremists Gather At Top Of World
- Matías Ola, Uniting The World Through The Open Water
- Adventurous 5 Among 50 Across The Bering Strait
- The Boys Will Bring Us Home...Across The Bering Strait
- Nejib Belhedi Swims Along The International Date Line
- Bright As Can Be
- Mind Over Matter, Swimming 1000m @ 0ºC
- Swimming In Siberia, Russian Winter Swimming Champs
- Most Difficult Swims In The World - Southern Hemisphere
- Most Difficult Swims In The World - Northern Hemisphere
- America's Very Difficult Open Water Swims
- 10 Difficult Short Open Water Swims