Leslie Cohen is the founder of the Leslie Cohen Law 5K. She received her undergraduate degree from the University of California, San Diego and went on to obtain her Juris Doctor from the UCLA School of Law, where she was an Associate Editor of the UCLA Law Review. She holds an AV peer rating, Martindale-Hubbell’s highest peer recognition for ethical standards and legal ability.
Cohen is the co-chair of the bankruptcy section of the American Bar Association GP/Small Firm/Solo division. She is an editor of the California Bankruptcy Journal, where she has published 3 articles over the last 2 years. Ms. Cohen is also a frequent lecturer for for the American Bar Association, the American Bankruptcy Institute, the UCLA Anderson Business School, and the UCLA undergraduate program.
Cohen lectures regularly at the University of California, Los Angeles for both the undergraduate business law program and the Anderson School of Business graduate program. She has also spoken for the International Conference of Shopping Centers, the American Bankruptcy Institute, the American Bar Association, the National Conference of Bankruptcy Judges, the Financial Lawyers Conference, the Los Angeles Bankruptcy Forum, and the Century City Bar Association.
Cohen has written the following scholarly articles:
- Debtor May Assign Executory Contracts or Unexpired Leases, Los Angeles Daily Journal, January 2, 2003
- A Survey of Recent Bankruptcy Decisions Impacting Upon the Entertainment Industry, 1992 Entertainment Publishing and the Arts Handbook
- Shopping Center Leases In Bankruptcy And The Impact Of BAPCPA, California Bankruptcy Journal, Vol. 30, No. 1, 2009
- Net Disposable Income Test for Chapter 11, California Bankruptcy Journal, Vol. 30, No. 2, 2009
- Guarantor Preference Liability, California Bankruptcy Journal, Vol, 31, No. 3, 2011
- Secured Loan Modification Absent Contractual Privity in Bankruptcy: A Survey of Case Law Twenty Years After Johnson v. Home State Bank, to be published in California Bankruptcy Journal in 2012
Cohen established the Leslie Cohen Law Running Team. In 2010, she successfully trained 19 students for admission to the Santa Monica High School Cross Country team and in 2010 and 2011 competed in triathlons to raise money to fund the team. On 28 April 2012, the inaugural Leslie Cohen Law 5K Run/Walk will be held at Santa Monica Beach to raise money for the Public Counsel Debtor Assistance Project and the Santa Monica High School Cross Country and Track and Field programs.