La Jolla Cove
From OpenwaterpediaLa Jolla Rough Water Swim annually held in early September.
La Jolla Cove has unusually coarse sand. Grassy Scripps Park is immediately adjacent and an excellent area for picnicking. Water visibility at the Cove can sometimes exceed 30 feet, making it a popular location for open water swimmers, scuba divers and snorklers. La Jolla Cove lies within the San Diego La Jolla Underwater Park Ecological Reserve which helps to ensure that marine life remains plentiful.
Lifeguards are staffed daily throughout the year. During summer, lifeguard staffing hours are generally 9:00 a.m. to dusk. At other times of the year, lifeguard staffing may not commence until 10:00 a.m.
Most California beaches can experience strong currents.
A public restroom building with showers is at the Scripps Park beside La Jolla Cove.
From the north, take Interstate 5 to La Jolla Village Drive, westbound. Turn left on Torrey Pines Road at the signalized intersection. Follow Torrey Pines Road to the signalized intersection at Prospect Street and turn right. Watch for the signs and bear right on Coast Boulevard.
From the south, take Interstate 5 north to La Jolla Parkway. Continue on as it becomes Torrey Pines Road. Follow Torrey Pines Road to the signalized intersection at Prospect Street and turn right. Watch for the signs and stay right on Coast Boulevard.
On-street parking can be difficult to find, particularly in summer. It is limited to three hours at a time on weekdays and unlimited on weekends, but check the signs for any restrictions. Paid parking is available in downtown La Jolla at several locations and is a short walk from the beach.
- La Jolla Cove Swim Club website
- La Jolla By The Sea
- Open Water - It's A Small World On A Big Planet
- Open Water Swimming
- Marathon Swimming
- World Open Water Swimming Association
- The Dark Shadows Of Neoprene In The Open Water World
- Living Out Of A Swimsuit And Suitcase, Traveling With Held
- Peter Attia's Got Grit
- Say It Ain't So. 84th La Jolla Rough Water Swim Cancelled
- Janet Lamott Was Never Far From Water
- Competing In The Hallowed Waterways Of La Jolla
- Post-50 Swimming With Bob West
- Pop The Cork, Ciaran Byrne Joins Triple Crown Quartet